No connectivity

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Oh god, please not moving to VZ. I don't want anything from that legacy CDMA carrier. :/ Hopefully we can just swap the SIM anyway, because once the free period is up you'll want to just have a data-only plan SIM like I do for my Macan.
Sponsored

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
Oh god, please not moving to VZ. I don't want anything from that legacy CDMA carrier. :/ Hopefully we can just swap the SIM anyway, because once the free period is up you'll want to just have a data-only plan SIM like I do for my Macan.
Yes, VZW - also confirmed today by a Porsche Connect rep on the phone who was assisting me getting the car connected today. She had no other info other than WiFi is waiting for the switchover from AT&T.

rakeshp24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Country flag
I took delivery last Wednesday and am having the same issues. The connectivity goes in and out. On my app, it never shows connected to the car. When in my car, does the Taycan hotspot need to be on and do i need to be connected to it? I am a little confused as to how this works.

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
I took delivery last Wednesday and am having the same issues. The connectivity goes in and out. On my app, it never shows connected to the car. When in my car, does the Taycan hotspot need to be on and do i need to be connected to it? I am a little confused as to how this works.
I was told by Porsche Connect the hotspot is not available yet. You may have better luck - give them a call and let us know. 800-767-7243

TobiZH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo. Model X P100D
Country flag
after 4 weeks of being offline and signed off in the car, as I was told to reset the whole system, all of a sudden connectivity is back. but CarPlay does not work anymore. hard to understand.

Abdullah

First Name
Abdullah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
hello.. can you help me.. I do not find sim card slot in car!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I believe it is a e-sim or at least the sim is hidden in the PCM somewhere. On the porsche connect site you can order a data package. Not 100% if you need that to activate the car hot spot. I think the standard package enables the weather/news etc but maybe not the hotspot until you buy that package, Maybe an existing owner can confirm.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I believe it is a e-sim or at least the sim is hidden in the PCM somewhere. On the porsche connect site you can order a data package. Not 100% if you need that to activate the car hot spot. I think the standard package enables the weather/news etc but maybe not the hotspot until you buy that package, Maybe an existing owner can confirm.
Yep, weather and news etc all work but no data for a linked device (eg the kids can’t surf on the hotspot)

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Yep, weather and news etc all work but no data for a linked device (eg the kids can’t surf on the hotspot)
I saw the data package on the web. Circa £20 for 8GB of data. Not the best data package. I’ve got an unlimited data sim in the wife’s car and it costs me £12 a month.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Re: posts from @Miwa @Gogs @Abdullah
Regarding SIM cards in Taycan, certainly sounds like Porsche is using eSIM since 2018.

¹Model year 2017 vehicles require a separate plug-in SIM card with a data plan which is not included to use Porsche Connect services. Model year 2018 and onward vehicles have an embedded SIM card including data to use some Porsche Connect services.
²The Porsche Connect range varies according to model and country availability. The information on this page is intended to provide you with a general overview. For service availability in your vehicle, log into the Porsche Connect Store with your Porsche ID.
https://www.porsche.com/usa/connect/

dredman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2020 Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, previously 2019 BMW M5, 2016 BMW 5.0 X6, BMW N54 335i, BMW N54 Z4 35i, Nissan 350Z, Jeep Wrangler 4.0, Mazda Miata.
Country flag
Be careful to watch for the AT&T ‘invite’ email - somehow my esim was not registered to me - I didn’t know I needed an additional data plan so it silently expired and now my car is gimped. AT&T say they need the sim ICC number and the Porsche dealer doesn’t know how to get it or to enable this process..

Full disclosure- Apple Music was streaming fine, then stopped and now the car cannot connect to Porsche connect services (location, charge etc etc)

Love the car - but BMW does this stuff better.. I pay BMW and my car/data just works..

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Be careful to watch for the AT&T ‘invite’ email - somehow my esim was not registered to me - I didn’t know I needed an additional data plan so it silently expired and now my car is gimped.
Wait, what? I'm pretty sure that connect services are included for a number of years, and they haven't yet enabled the hotspot plan (which I think is going to be Verizon, at least according to Connect support).

dredman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2020 Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, previously 2019 BMW M5, 2016 BMW 5.0 X6, BMW N54 335i, BMW N54 Z4 35i, Nissan 350Z, Jeep Wrangler 4.0, Mazda Miata.
Country flag
Wait, what? I'm pretty sure that connect services are included for a number of years, and they haven't yet enabled the hotspot plan (which I think is going to be Verizon, at least according to Connect support).
Yeah, I was pretty surprised too.. My car's 'data' plan just stopped working - so no connectivity to the Porsche Connect servers for location, no Apple music, no 'Internet Radio', no live traffic info and my profile is not able to load because the car cannot connect to data.
Porsche Taycan No connectivity IMG_7200
Porsche Taycan No connectivity IMG_2485
Porsche Taycan No connectivity IMG_7295
Porsche Taycan No connectivity IMG_3953 2

It is showing a strike-through kind of like =/= next to the status symbol for my phone you can see it in the attached photo (IMG_7200.jpg).

The Porsche service guys dont have a clue, nor do sales. Porsche Connect told me to call AT&T, AT&T say the VIN isn't registered, and to go to the dealer, and the dealer says call Porsche Connect.

Note - I'm not referring to the Wifi hotspot feature - which the car is actually saying it can do (Media, click on the wifi thing and ... and 'internet hotspot') .. this is an actual improvement yesterday the Wifi wasn't showing up at all. It showed up after the 3rd 'factory reset' - the first two attempts failed with a nice message. See the missing QR code and Wifi password.. A minute later the QR updated and my phone was able to connect to the car - data still doesn't work.. baby steps.

Was going to call Porsche again today, got busy..

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah, I was pretty surprised too.. My car's 'data' plan just stopped working - so no connectivity to the Porsche Connect servers for location, no Apple music, no 'Internet Radio', no live traffic info and my profile is not able to load because the car cannot connect to data.
IMG_7200.jpeg
IMG_2485.jpeg
IMG_7295.jpeg
IMG_3953 2.jpeg

It is showing a strike-through kind of like =/= next to the status symbol for my phone you can see it in the attached photo (IMG_7200.jpg).

The Porsche service guys dont have a clue, nor do sales. Porsche Connect told me to call AT&T, AT&T say the VIN isn't registered, and to go to the dealer, and the dealer says call Porsche Connect.

Note - I'm not referring to the Wifi hotspot feature - which the car is actually saying it can do (Media, click on the wifi thing and ... and 'internet hotspot') .. this is an actual improvement yesterday the Wifi wasn't showing up at all. It showed up after the 3rd 'factory reset' - the first two attempts failed with a nice message. See the missing QR code and Wifi password.. A minute later the QR updated and my phone was able to connect to the car - data still doesn't work.. baby steps.

Have you tried calling Porsche Cars North America? I find them helpful.
1-800-767-7243

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
IMG_7200.jpeg
IMG_2485.jpeg
IMG_7295.jpeg
IMG_3953 2.jpeg

Since pickup last Friday my Porsche Charger has been a brick, in a continuous “downloading” loop, with the Porsche Connect App only operating about 1/3 of the time. WiFi hotspot has only showed up once. I’ll try the Porsche call in number this weekend, hope they can walk me through to connectivity.