CATaycan21

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
After successfully charging using Plug and Charge capability last night at an EA station, the Taycan lost LTE connectivity (the dreaded 2 arrows with a slash).

All data services stopped functioning (i.e. Traffic, Apple Music, etc). The app is unable to connect to the car but shows no error beyond showing stale data.
We have already tried to do a lock/unlock overnight reset and tried rebooting the PCM; all to no avail.

Next stop? A dealer that actually gets back to me and/or PCNA.
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No LTE symbol = car without data comm link. Could be problem with cellular network, Porsche server back-end, car software, or car hardware. Often seems to resolve on its own. Many threads on forum about it.

OP
OP

CATaycan21

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Update: Just spoke to PCNA. There is a system wide telematics outage.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wonder if Porsche North America is managing their servers directly or contracting that service out to a third party. Regardless of who is managing this though, they're doing a piss poor job of it and it's frustrating that we've come to essentially accept this lousy service as part of the ownership experience. I expect better; especially considering the prices Porsche charges for their cars.

OP
OP

CATaycan21

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Finally got an appointment with the local dealer. They have been fielding calls of data service outages from customers as well.

I suspect the issue will 'resolve' itself prior to the service visit and/or no issue will be found after conducting a diagnostic.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I had the same issue. My LTE/coms went out for 3 weeks. Finally got it into the dealer and when they hooked it up for diagnostic, it magically came back on. It’s been about a week now and still working. They don’t know what happened or why. I’m just glad it’s “fixed”.

OP
OP

CATaycan21

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I had the same issue. My LTE/coms went out for 3 weeks. Finally got it into the dealer and when they hooked it up for diagnostic, it magically came back on. It’s been about a week now and still working. They don’t know what happened or why. I’m just glad it’s “fixed”.
Sigh.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Hope it's just a temporary Porsche hiccup. A more complicated issue requires dealer action. My LTE was out for a month but was resolved at the dealer and is a known issue with Porsche LTE. Has worked fine for a week now after two weeks at the dealer.

Per another earlier post of mine:

"Service advisor could not describe the work, but in service report: "Verified LTE non-operational. Performed reset of ORU in OTA and deactivated the flight mode. LTE now functional. Customer to monitor."

I've been grounded... "

Good luck.

OP
OP

CATaycan21

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Hope it's just a temporary Porsche hiccup. A more complicated issue requires dealer action. My LTE was out for a month but was resolved at the dealer and is a known issue with Porsche LTE. Has worked fine for a week now after two weeks at the dealer.

"Service advisor could not describe the work, but in service report: "Verified LTE non-operational. Performed reset of ORU in OTA and deactivated the flight mode. LTE now functional. Customer to monitor."

I've been grounded... "

Good luck.
Hello, when did this occur for you?

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Hello, when did this occur for you?
The LTE disappeared on February 17th. I'm pretty sure it happened right after an OTA map update. Took me a month to get an appointment, and two weeks at the shop for the fix, which also included the bumper recall. I'm guessing it's probably usually a one-day fix for the LTE.

OP
OP

CATaycan21

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
The LTE disappeared on February 17th. I'm pretty sure it happened right after an OTA map update. Took me a month to get an appointment, and two weeks at the shop for the fix, which also included the bumper recall. I'm guessing it's probably usually a one-day fix for the LTE.
Thank you for the additional info. I'll try to get the dealer to squeeze me in sooner and provide the service report language with hopes of getting it expedited.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Good luck.
From the below linked TSBs:
OTA-FC = over the air function control
ORU-Reset = online remote update reset
Flight mode: "control unit is registered in the backend after flight mode is deactivated."
"Flight mode deactivation starts the eSim registration and pairing process."

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204102-0001.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10174597-0001.pdf

Also see architecture description by @tigerbalm in this post: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...es-pcm-app-porsche-tracking.9899/#post-142052

See Registration and Pairing process described in attached TSB, page 2.
( https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10242124-0001.pdf ) Mentions Connect Control Unit also known the ConBox High or Emergency Call Control Unit.

Per @whitex ConBox High has battery in it: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/fuse-8-us-taycan.12744/#post-189480 :
Side note, conBox-High has an internal backup battery so few minutes without 12V will not necessarily power cycle everything.
Looks like they reset devices and software in your car and got the car reconnected to Porsche backend application.
Questions are:
--what caused your car to lose LTE in the first place and require this be done at dealer?
--when a Taycan loses LTE, how can you tell if loss of LTE will restore itself (ie. "system-wide telematics outage"), or needs trip to dealer to diagnose and reset?

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP

CATaycan21

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Update 4.9.2023:
The dealer was able to squeeze us in to drop off for service. As it is the weekend, no actual service will be performed until Monday at the earliest. Per the SA, another customer had been experiencing similar (repeated) issues with the data services. The end 'fix' was a lemon law buyback.

Weirdly enough the app updated the telematics data for the vehicle status today (vehicle was dropped off yesterday). Note that no actual service has been performed. True to form the vehicle data has become stale again and errors out when trying to send any remote command.

On a sidenote, this Taycan has had a number of modules replaced in prior service visits. As such it is the hope that lemon law will not be the end resolution.
In addition to this data services failure, the car is in for the 20K service and the still ongoing non-functioning smart-lift feature.

Fingers crossed some sanity can be introduced to this madness.
Sponsored