W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So, I’m the circumstances I describe, the car is connected to power but is fully charged to the threshold I have set (80%). Hence, if the battery charge was to dip below 80%, due to me using the media player, it could immediately restart the charging process and call more power off the grid to reach 80% again.

To me, it makes no sense that the car switches off after 15 mins.
To be clear are you saying that in this scenario the car is not powered on?

If not then the PCM and other ancillary services will shutdown within a predefined period as part of the 12v protection - same as any Porsche never mind the Taycan.

The fact you have the car connected to your EVSE waiting on the HV battery to deplete and then start charging is not relevant and a mutually exclusive event.

Struggling to understand under what circumstances you would need this type of feature.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To be clear are you saying that in this scenario the car is not powered on?

If not then the PCM and other ancillary services will shutdown within a predefined period as part of the 12v protection - same as any Porsche never mind the Taycan.

The fact you have the car connected to your EVSE waiting on the HV battery to deplete and then start charging is not relevant and a mutually exclusive event.

Struggling to understand under what circumstances you would need this type of feature.
On the contrary, I am saying that the car in this scenario is powered on. The car automatically powers off after 15 mins.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
On the contrary, I am saying that the car in this scenario is powered on. The car automatically powers off after 15 mins.
I'd assume it also does that on DC too? And that is where I'd really want the car to stay on if stuck at a location where being in the car is preferable to being out of it (see most UK charging areas..). Does it prompt you at all? Think it was about 30 mins in my iPace would prompt to press the brake pedal to keep the car on (and thus all the heating etc).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Good to have clarity!

So - powered on (digital cockpit displaying speedo etc) and connected to the EVSE, no charging session in progress.

Not had an occasion to be in such a scenario so my guess is the car is aware that the charging session has ended and therefore the car is 'idle' and stationary. If so then the natural next event would be to protect the 12v battery and hence the power off timer commences.

Can you describe the use case for when this might be a problem (just curious)?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'd assume it also does that on DC too? And that is where I'd really want the car to stay on if stuck at a location where being in the car is preferable to being out of it (see most UK charging areas..). Does it prompt you at all? Think it was about 30 mins in my iPace would prompt to press the brake pedal to keep the car on (and thus all the heating etc).
Why would you hang around an EVSE if your charging session was completed?

My car shutdown at the weekend in the middle of a snowstorm due to stationary traffic after 30 mins of standing still (took 2 hours to travel 4 miles). Car went into 'P' and powered down. Again I see this as 'reasonable' as the car thinks you're going nowhere and is 'clever enough' to want to conserve energy and so powers down.

No prompt or warning in my case but I think there is something mentioned in the PGTK App.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Why would you hang around an EVSE if your charging session was completed?

My car shutdown at the weekend in the middle of a snowstorm due to stationary traffic after 30 mins of standing still (took 2 hours to travel 4 miles). Car went into 'P' and powered down. Again I see this as 'reasonable' as the car thinks you're going nowhere and is 'clever enough' to want to conserve energy and so powers down.

No prompt or warning in my case but I think there is something mentioned in the PGTK App.
May have misunderstood. From my side it would be more hanging around whilst charging and not wanting it to keep turning off (don't get me wrong its not exactly that onerous to switch back on again but if could keep it active during the time spend in it, particularly if at a 50kw then all the better). 30mins seems reasonable to me too, though I liked the IPace prompting to say "press brake to stop shutdown" ( I actually got into the habit of tapping it every now and then when stationary charging and wanting heat/cooling and no media interruption).

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
My understanding is that when the battery is connected to a charger, there is a switch that physically disconnects the battery from the car systems (that’s part of the clicking noise ms you hear when plugging the car in) and therefore the HV battery is “unavailable” during charging. When charging, I thought you had only access to the 12v battery. The 12v battery gets topped up during charging.

this is part of why you can’t drive if the 12v battery 12v is dead as it powers the”switch” that engages the HV battery.

maybe my misunderstanding but that was what I thought happened :)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My understanding is that when the battery is connected to a charger, there is a switch that physically disconnects the battery from the car systems (that’s part of the clicking noise ms you hear when plugging the car in) and therefore the HV battery is “unavailable” during charging. When charging, I thought you had only access to the 12v battery. The 12v battery gets topped up during charging.

this is part of why you can’t drive if the 12v battery 12v is dead as it powers the”switch” that engages the HV battery.

maybe my misunderstanding but that was what I thought happened :)
Not sure that's totally correct. You can happily stay connected to an EVSE whilst charging and the car powered on - PCM won't shutdown - 15 mins if not charging and car powered off.

HV battery runs the heat pump (where fitted - std in UK / most of Europe) as its 800V which keeps temp in the cabin during a charging session if you want it to.

I believe the 12V only gets topped up via the HV battery if the voltage drops - so potentially when charging or when on the move.

It would be much better if the guess work could be removed and Porsche document this properly in the PGTK App to save our sanity!

OP
OP

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good to have clarity!

So - powered on (digital cockpit displaying speedo etc) and connected to the EVSE, no charging session in progress.

Not had an occasion to be in such a scenario so my guess is the car is aware that the charging session has ended and therefore the car is 'idle' and stationary. If so then the natural next event would be to protect the 12v battery and hence the power off timer commences.

Can you describe the use case for when this might be a problem (just curious)?
Because on a sunny day, my daughter likes to make use of the sound system, recline the seat and look at the clouds through the pan roof while enjoying the music - not something you can do inside. Plus, in summer, on hot days when the pollen count is high, it’s nice to sit in the back and have conference calls with the a/c on and make use of the pollen filter - something that for hayfever sufferers with asthma can be a god send and huge relief. I just would prefer to not have to keep leaning forward to switch back on the vehicle after 15 mins.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Just checked our car again, it was connected to the charger but not charging. Release button light for the charger was out. Powered up the car and let it go, the light on the release button charged to green, so it's pulling power from the EVSE. What is your's doing?

OP
OP

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just checked our car again, it was connected to the charger but not charging. Release button light for the charger was out. Powered up the car and let it go, the light on the release button charged to green, so it's pulling power from the EVSE. What is your's doing?
The same. Green release light indicating that it’s pulling power from the grid. Still switches off after 15 mins.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Also, what if you want to go to a drive in movie in open air? It doesn’t work.
that’s why you need more then one car.
Yeah, usually what I do is bring the 2nd Taycan, and then when the first shuts off after 15 minutes, I move over to the 2nd one. If you keep juggling your 2 Taycans like this then you'll never miss a minute of the movie. Works great for me.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
The same. Green release light indicating that it’s pulling power from the grid. Still switches off after 15 mins.
ok, I wouldn't be surprised if this a coding parameter that could be changed with a PIWIS.
Sponsored