First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hoping someone can explain this……

If my Taycan is connected to my domestic electrical supply and I turn on the radio / PCM, it will operate for 15 mins before switching off (to prevent battery discharge). If I switch on the car via the Power button, this makes no difference.

In an ICE car, it makes perfect sense why the sound system / PCM switches off after 15 mins or similar - the 12v battery powers the PCM and cannot maintain charge without the alternator providing charge from the engine turning. How does this apply in an EV?

I’m assuming that the 12v battery is charged from the main battery pack, this itself being charged from both regen in use and the external electrical supply when connected at home. Is that correct? If so, why is it that when the vehicle is connected to a charger, fully charged and able to call upon power from the domestic supply, that the PCM will not work beyond 15 mins? Surely the constant availability of electricity should mean that the PCM works indefinitely in that scenario?

I suspect there is some flaw in my thinking on account the Taycan won’t allow you to use the PCM for longer than 15 mins while stationary. So, I’d be grateful if someone in the know could shed some light on this.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hoping someone can explain this……

If my Taycan is connected to my domestic electrical supply and I turn on the radio / PCM, it will operate for 15 mins before switching off (to prevent battery discharge). If I switch on the car via the Power button, this makes no difference.

In an ICE car, it makes perfect sense why the sound system / PCM switches off after 15 mins or similar - the 12v battery powers the PCM and cannot maintain charge without the alternator providing charge from the engine turning. How does this apply in an EV?

I’m assuming that the 12v battery is charged from the main battery pack, this itself being charged from both regen in use and the external electrical supply when connected at home. Is that correct? If so, why is it that when the vehicle is connected to a charger, fully charged and able to call upon power from the domestic supply, that the PCM will not work beyond 15 mins? Surely the constant availability of electricity should mean that the PCM works indefinitely in that scenario?

I suspect there is some flaw in my thinking on account the Taycan won’t allow you to use the PCM for longer than 15 mins while stationary. So, I’d be grateful if someone in the know could shed some light on this.
12v is only topped up when car is powered on hence why it will shutdown even if connected to your EVSE and not powered on.

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
The reason why is to save energy in case you forgot to switch off the car.

OP
OP

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
12v is only topped up when car is powered on hence why it will shutdown even if connected to your EVSE and not powered on.
Thanks, but my point was it still shuts down after 15 mins of both connected to EVSE and powered on.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Presumably they just set it up that way without really considering that you might want to sit in the car like this, listening to the radio on your drive. I can’t see that there is a “good” reason

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The reason why is to save energy in case you forgot to switch off the car.
This. Whether it’s good or not is subjective, but like most consumer products there are some aspects that are adjustable and some that aren’t.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks, but my point was it still shuts down after 15 mins of both connected to EVSE and powered on.
If you mean powered on and connected to an EVSE whilst charging then that's weird - understand if no charging in progress, it should shutdown.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Presumably they just set it up that way without really considering that you might want to sit in the car like this, listening to the radio on your drive. I can’t see that there is a “good” reason
Mine doesn't shutdown if powered on and charging is in progress - pretty sure on that.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
There's the answer right there.
Most Porsche engineers must be single men....not married.
Haven't understood that it may sometimes need to be used as an escape pod/safe place.
?

kanthai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You can make the car run indefinitely by shift to neutral position instead of park and engage the e-brake in vehicle settings to prevent the car rolling away. However, you cannot shift the transmission when charging and it will shift to park immediately when you open the driver's door.

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
Also, what if you want to go to a drive in movie in open air? It doesn’t work.
that’s why you need more then one car.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Have also sat in the garage with the car on and nothing shuts off. Plus doing the same thing at a public charging station. Nice to have heated/massaging seats while waiting.

Is your charger on a timer and not actually providing power to the car?

OP
OP

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you mean powered on and connected to an EVSE whilst charging then that's weird - understand if no charging in progress, it should shutdown.
That’s exactly what I mean and why I thought it so strange as to post this thread.

OP
OP

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have also sat in the garage with the car on and nothing shuts off. Plus doing the same thing at a public charging station. Nice to have heated/massaging seats while waiting.

Is your charger on a timer and not actually providing power to the car?
So, I’m the circumstances I describe, the car is connected to power but is fully charged to the threshold I have set (80%). Hence, if the battery charge was to dip below 80%, due to me using the media player, it could immediately restart the charging process and call more power off the grid to reach 80% again.

To me, it makes no sense that the car switches off after 15 mins.
Sponsored