evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
If you compare your Taycan experience with your Panamera one, would you say that it feels like you are driving slower with the Taycan at what objectively would be the same speed, due to the absence of noise, vibrations, etc?
Once folks get past any initial range anxiety they might have, they will drive it pretty "normal" I think. It takes some time to appreciate this if you haven't owned an EV before...
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
@evanevery you are correct about the initial range anxiety for those like me who are new to the pure EV world. I used to get nervous when my cellphone dropped below 50% SOC, so you can imagine my anxiety on my initial long distance road trips in the Taycan when the route mapping would have me drive until I was down to 8-10% SOC.

As time has passed, I am now at the other extreme. When I take out my Taycan for fun sprints, it makes me happy to see the SOC much lower when I get back home because it means I drove it like I stole it. It is so much easier after play time to plug it in at home instead of driving around to find a gas station.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@evanevery you are correct about the initial range anxiety for those like me who are new to the pure EV world. I used to get nervous when my cellphone dropped below 50% SOC, so you can imagine my anxiety on my initial long distance road trips in the Taycan when the route mapping would have me drive until I was down to 8-10% SOC.

As time has passed, I am now at the other extreme. When I take out my Taycan for fun sprints, it makes me happy to see the SOC much lower when I get back home because it means I drove it like I stole it. It is so much easier after play time to plug it in at home instead of driving around to find a gas station.

...and then there are those who will also drive it pretty "abnormally"! ;)

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got about 147 miles of range @ 85% charge the other day (30 degree weather, highway speed between 85-100 mph - Porsche driving). Car range estimate is 176 miles @ 85%, that's actually optimistic. Cold weather is enemy of range for these cars. Range on my car has steadily worsened after about 4500 mile (7900 now). Have had battery checked and it's at 93% health, they tell me that's very good. I drive it down below 30% ALL the time before charging and I only charge to 85%. It's a cool car, very solid. I like it, but the range is really shit. If the car doesn't bounce back and get 200 miles of range (@ 85-90% charge and in summer weather) I will probably be done with it.....

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got about 147 miles of range @ 85% charge the other day (30 degree weather, highway speed between 85-100 mph - Porsche driving). Car range estimate is 176 miles @ 85%, that's actually optimistic. Cold weather is enemy of range for these cars. Range on my car has steadily worsened after about 4500 mile (7900 now). Have had battery checked and it's at 93% health, they tell me that's very good. I drive it down below 30% ALL the time before charging and I only charge to 85%. It's a cool car, very solid. I like it, but the range is really shit. If the car doesn't bounce back and get 200 miles of range (@ 85-90% charge and in summer weather) I will probably be done with it.....
I was getting about 183 miles at 85% in "normal" (non-winter) conditions. That was pretty much what I was led to expect when I purchased my Turbo S. Were you told something else?

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was getting about 183 miles at 85% in "normal" (non-winter) conditions. That was pretty much what I was led to expect when I purchased my Turbo S. Were you told something else?
I saw as much as 204-207 in the summer at the beginning @ 85%. And I read all about these guys on here that are getting 230-250....I call BS on that. I have another buddy who is getting same range as me and he has a Turbo. Fact is, 150 mile car in the winter doesn't work for me. My Panamera Hybrid gets 525+ miles on one tankful. The "estimate" is always much higher than the actual range that I get.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I saw as much as 204-207 in the summer at the beginning @ 85%. And I read all about these guys on here that are getting 230-250....I call BS on that. I have another buddy who is getting same range as me and he has a Turbo. Fact is, 150 mile car in the winter doesn't work for me. My Panamera Hybrid gets 525+ miles on one tankful. The "estimate" is always much higher than the actual range that I get.
You might have seen an "estimate" for that much when your car was new as it hadn't actually started adjusting its parameters to reflect the real range. I saw the same thing. Once I took a nice long road trip it settled into 183 @ 85%. I haven't been doing any longer trips since it got cold here so I can't really provide any input on ACTUAL Winter driving range.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but if you are that close to 185 miles being make or break for your daily range, then you severely undersized your EV I think. I wouldn't suggest a "200 mile car" (which the TurboS is at 100%) for anyone with more than a 50 mile daily driving requirement.

You want to have a lot of additional overhead for all that stuff that works into your daily drives. You not only have to get back/forth to work (Covid notwithstanding), but also all the OTHER stuff which creeps into your life. Grocery Store, Restaurant, Airport, Hardware Store, Movies, Back to the Grocery Store, Library, Shopping for Hookers, etc. If your requirement is 50 miles (back and forth to work), then you really want a couple multiples of that so you don't have to suffer any range anxiety. What happens if you have to go BACK to the office? ..or if you want to employ the services of a SECOND hooker? ;-)

200 miles was my line in the sand for this car to work for me. Not because that was my daily requirement, but specifically for all the other stuff beyond that.

Last edited:

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When you say they told you 93% battery health is "very good", does that mean you've already had 7% battery degradation after driving 8K miles or am I misunderstanding the meaning of 93% ? That doesn't seem very good to me at all. I'm going to ask my Porsche dealer to perform a battery diagnostic of the car before I take ownership just to confirm the battery baseline of my car is really 100%. I realize there many reasons for range variances as discussed ad nauseam on this forum, but some of the range differences people are seeing is striking to me, even accounting for weather, driving style, battery preconditioning, wheel size, car model, etc.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You might have seen an "estimate" for that much when your car was new as it hadn't actually started adjusting its parameters to reflect the real range. I saw the same thing. Once I took a nice long road trip it settled into 183 @ 85%. I haven't been doing any longer trips since it got cold here so I can't really provide any input on ACTUAL Winter driving range.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but if you are that close to 185 miles being make or break for your daily range, then you severely undersized your EV I think. I wouldn't suggest a "200 mile car" (which the TurboS is at 100%) for anyone with more than a 50 mile daily driving requirement.

You want to have a lot of additional overhead for all that stuff that works into your daily drives. You not only have to get back/forth to work (Covid notwithstanding), but also all the OTHER stuff which creeps into your life. Grocery Store, Restaurant, Airport, Hardware Store, Movies, Back to the Grocery Store, Library, Shopping for Hookers, etc. If your requirement is 50 miles (back and forth to work), then you really want a couple multiples of that so you don't have to suffer any range anxiety. What happens if you have to go BACK to the office? ..or if you want to employ the services of a SECOND hooker? ;-)

200 miles was my line in the sand for this car to work for me. Not because that was my daily requirement, but specifically for all the other stuff beyond that.
i like you comment

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good question. I've not been quite so convinced by the accuracy of my car's range o'meter (think others have found it pretty accurate), but I've found that the "colder" estimate is definitely closer to reality than the estimate in the garage.
It's a guesstimate at best
Sponsored