dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I left Friday morning (with 100%) from IA to Kenosha, Wisconsin (256 miles), with just one charging stop in Rockford, Illinois (at a Sam's Club, 172 miles away). I plugged in and quite by accident started the session using the EA app, not the Charging NA app. I called EA to see if they would refund the first 30 minutes of the $31 cost...I doubt they will be generous. Lesson learned. Until your three years is up, never start the charge with EA. BTW, the 350kW gave me 250kW consistently almost to the end.

On my return trip, I decided to drive the same way home rather than attempt an expensive Chicago (too many toll roads) route. I arrived at the same Rockford EA station with 2 miles left. Two miles, less than 1% charge. I had to place it in range mode going no faster than 60mph (everyone was passing me at 80+). I made it, but would prefer to avoid that dreaded experience again in the future. The takeaway is that range mode really does work, and thankfully, very accurate.

The car is quiet and smooth, and with the Burmester, a real joy to drive.
Sponsored

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
so you trip back was 184 miles to Rockford EA, how much was battery when you leave Kenosha? Just curious if the <1% remaining was because of road conditions or maybe it's not 100% to begin the trip. Thanks.

-ThinkMac-

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I take an annual road trip between NoVA outside DC to Hayward, WI every summer. I’ve done it every year in a Tesla since 2013. Despite the supercharger expansion there still isn’t anything between Eau Claire and Duluth. I end up charging at a KOA ... and have even slept in the car there overnight with a blow up mattress in the back. It’s the only place I’ve driven where the Tesla UI pops up and says “You’re about to drive out of range of any known charger.”

EA looks like it also ends at Eau Claire. Hayward, WI will be a stretch, but probably doable with speed management in the summer. Charging a Porsche at a KOA will be entertaining. I sent in a request to EA but I’m not holding my breath since Tesla still hasn’t filled it in. Wisconsin definitely needs more EV love.

OP
OP
dgompper

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
so you trip back was 184 miles to Rockford EA, how much was battery when you leave Kenosha? Just curious if the <1% remaining was because of road conditions or maybe it's not 100% to begin the trip. Thanks.

-ThinkMac-
I left with only 45% - the hotel had a 120v outlet, but downtown is not safe and I wanted to wake up with the charger still there. Navigation said I could make it, but it changed its mind halfway into the trip.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I left with only 45% - the hotel had a 120v outlet, but downtown is not safe and I wanted to wake up with the charger still there. Navigation said I could make it, but it changed its mind halfway into the trip.
I like this kind of adventures.

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
I left Friday morning (with 100%) from IA to Kenosha, Wisconsin (256 miles), with just one charging stop in Rockford, Illinois (at a Sam's Club, 172 miles away). I plugged in and quite by accident started the session using the EA app, not the Charging NA app. I called EA to see if they would refund the first 30 minutes of the $31 cost...I doubt they will be generous. Lesson learned. Until your three years is up, never start the charge with EA. BTW, the 350kW gave me 250kW consistently almost to the end.

On my return trip, I decided to drive the same way home rather than attempt an expensive Chicago (too many toll roads) route. I arrived at the same Rockford EA station with 2 miles left. Two miles, less than 1% charge. I had to place it in range mode going no faster than 60mph (everyone was passing me at 80+). I made it, but would prefer to avoid that dreaded experience again in the future. The takeaway is that range mode really does work, and thankfully, very accurate.

The car is quiet and smooth, and with the Burmester, a real joy to drive.
You CAN modify the 60 to something more palatable, like 70 or 75. This will turn off passenger screen and whatever else "range" mode does but may affect the optimum range but it will at least deter the mini vans from flying by.
Sponsored