evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
This is a key point. You can't directly monitor the state of charge of Li-Ion batteries. The battery controller estimates the state of charge by accumulating the energy in vs. energy out. This can be measured, but since you don't know the starting or ending point, let's call this variable #1. The potential for the battery to store and deliver energy definitely depends on the battery temperature. Let's call this variable #2. Then there is how many miles/km you will get for a given amount of energy. Lets call this variable #3. The displayed range is a function of all three variables and none of them are exact.
#4 Wind Direction
#5 Weather
#6 Humidity
#7 Other Traffic
#8 Road Geometry
#9 Change in relative elevation
#10 Changes in Driving Style
#11 Contents of the car
#12 ....
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
This is a key point. You can't directly monitor the state of charge of Li-Ion batteries. The battery controller estimates the state of charge by accumulating the energy in vs. energy out. This can be measured, but since you don't know the starting or ending point, let's call this variable #1. The potential for the battery to store and deliver energy definitely depends on the battery temperature. Let's call this variable #2. Then there is how many miles/km you will get for a given amount of energy. Lets call this variable #3. The displayed range is a function of all three variables and none of them are exact.
And would you think there might be individual variations in batteries too in the sense that there is a minimum spec but certain (lucky) cars may happen to get a battery which exceeds such spec? Or does the battery manufacturing process yields pretty much a consistent capacity within narrow specs?

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is this normal? 185 miles when at 88% that’s 210 miles at 100%.

Porsche Taycan Outside temperature and range 5BDC7C92-7233-47F7-A02B-F5EAC1C6BC61

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
During the first few weeks you have a Turbo and at the current temperatures, probably yes. Also, you have 21" wheels if I remember correctly?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
This is a key point. You can't directly monitor the state of charge of Li-Ion batteries. The battery controller estimates the state of charge by accumulating the energy in vs. energy out.
I am not an expert, but I think the SoC is calculated by the voltage of the battery. This is quite a precise measurement.

The amount of energy the battery delivers depends mostly on the current (Ampere) and that fluctuates widely with a number of factors others have listed.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
And would you think there might be individual variations in batteries too in the sense that there is a minimum spec but certain (lucky) cars may happen to get a battery which exceeds such spec? Or does the battery manufacturing process yields pretty much a consistent capacity within narrow specs?
Should be a very narrow spec and should not be different to the customer.

Each pouch cell in this big pack is produced to specification and must be tested before put together. Each cell has to deliver a certain voltage range to be viable. Any voltage outside of the usable range goes into the buffer at the bottom and the top. This should ensure that each delivered pack has the same energy characteristics.

Do they all perform exactly the same in all the different conditions? They should, but I don't know. Would need to deep dive into the testing results and manufacturing process.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
How do you use your Taycan?

Porsche Taycan Outside temperature and range 1610068137253
Porsche Taycan Outside temperature and range 1610068213741

After 1 month of ownership with fun driving and heavy AC usage and average temp 30°C

Porsche Taycan Outside temperature and range 1610068459186

Porsche Taycan Outside temperature and range 1610068586220

After 5 months of ownership with range optimized driving and almost no AC usage and average temp 20°C

Using the full range of the battery without charging in between gives me almost the exact same experience I had with the previous ICE with a 75l tank. However, I don't have to wait at a gas station, instead I just stick it in where I park the car at home over night.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
#4 Wind Direction
#5 Weather
#6 Humidity
#7 Other Traffic
#8 Road Geometry
#9 Change in relative elevation
#10 Changes in Driving Style
#11 Contents of the car
#12 ....
Tire Pressure
Tre Type
Tire Width

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
During the first few weeks you have a Turbo and at the current temperatures, probably yes. Also, you have 21" wheels if I remember correctly?
Yes, yes and yes.. lol

So what you are saying is ... don't be too upset, it looks about right.. lol. thanks for the input, appreciated.

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
How do you use your Taycan?

1610068137253.png
1610068213741.png

After 1 month of ownership with fun driving and heavy AC usage and average temp 30°C

1610068459186.png

1610068586220.png

After 5 months of ownership with range optimized driving and almost no AC usage and average temp 20°C

Using the full range of the battery without charging in between gives me almost the exact same experience I had with the previous ICE with a 75l tank. However, I don't have to wait at a gas station, instead I just stick it in where I park the car at home over night.
The car is only about 3 weeks old now.. I do "drive" it now and again, but I also use range driving a lot.. to be honest, i find myself driving more slowly in this than I did in my Panamera..

I've used AC charging twice, both times more a top up service, the rest of the time it's been on the AC home charger.

I tend not to allow it to drop to below 40% before charging.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
If you drive it like you stole it, instead of like a Prius, you will not care at all about the range. More seriously, at pickup it seems as though the Taycans estimate pretty low range (for non winter it is typical for the initial pickup range on thePCM at delivery to say 201 miles). As you drive it more the range will continue to increase. The colder weather will mask some of those gains, but you will notice the increase (well above 201 miles) as the weather gets better. Many of us plug in our cars every day so no worries about charging it when it is above 40% SOC. I have owned a Panamera Turbo (one of my favorite cars). The Taycan should be giving you more grins than the Panamera, so go out and pull some Gs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you drive it like you stole it, instead of like a Prius, you will not care at all about the range. More seriously, at pickup it seems as though the Taycans estimate pretty low range (for non winter it is typical for the initial pickup range on thePCM at delivery to say 201 miles). As you drive it more the range will continue to increase. The colder weather will mask some of those gains, but you will notice the increase (well above 201 miles) as the weather gets better. Many of us plug in our cars every day so no worries about charging it when it is above 40% SOC. I have owned a Panamera Turbo (one of my favorite cars). The Taycan should be giving you more grins than the Panamera, so go out and pull some Gs.
If you compare your Taycan experience with your Panamera one, would you say that it feels like you are driving slower with the Taycan at what objectively would be the same speed, due to the absence of noise, vibrations, etc?

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Panamera was an excellent car, I had the Turbo S E-hybrid.. It was super quick (on paper, the same as the Taycan Turbo). But the TT just feels quicker. I think it's the pinned to your seat feeling you get when accelerating. I never got that feeling with the Panamera as the battery/motor wasn't strong enough to deliver it, by the time the V8 kicked in, it was just a smooth transition.

Yes, I get a lot more grins with the Tacan.. I've said it before and will keep saying it. I will never tire of the torque....

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you compare your Taycan experience with your Panamera one, would you say that it feels like you are driving slower with the Taycan at what objectively would be the same speed, due to the absence of noise, vibrations, etc?
I can add to that. The Taycan feels quicker to me. I've just posted above that on paper, both my Taycan and Panamera shared the same figures. The Taycan felt at least 1.5times quicker..

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Tire Pressure
Tre Type
Tire Width
But those would remain relatively static for any trip comparison in a given car... There are so many other things which change minute by minute which make a precise comparison difficult. Even using the same car, one the same day, on the same route... (which I believe is what we are talking about here)
Sponsored