Overboost function

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
I've been tryin to get to know my Taycan 4S and last night I went for a short test-drive to get more feel with the car.

Since I got the car about 3 weeks ago I've been feeling the engine power is somewhat unpredictable. Sometimes it seems quick, sometimes less so. So last night I turned on the G-force meter (recording max forces) and went for it. I did numerous lanuches and accellerations from different speeds. All done in "Sport Plus" mode.

Here is what I found:
  • Giving it full throttle like you would out of corners from constant speeds at 55-60km/h (34-37mph) : 0,73g
  • Quickly slamming full throttle from constant speeds at 55-60km/h (34-37mph): 0,93g
  • Launch control from 0km/h(0mph): 0,80g
To me it seems the sweet spot for most power/g-force is actually around 55-60km/h (34-37mph).

I've been wondering how the Overboost function works on the Taycan and it seems slamming the throttle fully in actually gives better performance than launch control. One thing is the initial kick but it also seems to keep pulling harder this way.

Anyone else experience this behaviour?

Porsche Taycan Overboost function IMG_3953
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Interesting...
As the gearbox shifts around 60km/h, right?
It may also have to do something with the power distribution, the difference between no power (at LC) and already loaded (when driving).
Maybe inertia is higher when doing LC.
Just my €0,02.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
What was the temperature outside when you tried launch control? Could it be traction control is more in play in launch due to tire slip than when moving?

OP
OP
Taycan4S

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
The temp was 10 degrees celcius. Though I tested it all with PSM all off and with some inspired driving tires seemed to grip very good. Both in corners, breaking and accelleration. "Butt dyno" kind of aggrees with the numbers. The kick at 55-60km/h is actually harder than from 0 with launch.

If you got a Taycan, get out and try! Would be nice to hear other peoples experience with this.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The temp was 10 degrees celcius. Though I tested it all with PSM all off and with some inspired driving tires seemed to grip very good. Both in corners, breaking and accelleration. "Butt dyno" kind of aggrees with the numbers. The kick at 55-60km/h is actually harder than from 0 with launch.

If you got a Taycan, get out and try! Would be nice to hear other peoples experience with this.
I have the Turbo S, so my overboost and performance characteristics are a bit different. So my experience is a bit different.

OP
OP
Taycan4S

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
I would guess the Turbo S is the same. The turbo is

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry maybe I am confused, are you comparing the 4S or the Turbo to the Turbo S? Also I know that my all season tires are not fully sticking to the roads in temperatures of even 15C. So even with traction off the launch would not be as strong as when moving. I have a few warmer days coming and will have a better sense.

OP
OP
Taycan4S

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
Not comparing them other than that all Taycans have overboost function. From my experience both 4S and Turbo act alike. A gentle throttle gives less power than slamming it to the floor. It seems overboost is activated that way, not only during launch.

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
I've been tryin to get to know my Taycan 4S and last night I went for a short test-drive to get more feel with the car.

Since I got the car about 3 weeks ago I've been feeling the engine power is somewhat unpredictable. Sometimes it seems quick, sometimes less so. So last night I turned on the G-force meter (recording max forces) and went for it. I did numerous lanuches and accellerations from different speeds. All done in "Sport Plus" mode.

Here is what I found:
  • Giving it full throttle like you would out of corners from constant speeds at 55-60km/h (34-37mph) : 0,73g
  • Quickly slamming full throttle from constant speeds at 55-60km/h (34-37mph): 0,93g
  • Launch control from 0km/h(0mph): 0,80g
To me it seems the sweet spot for most power/g-force is actually around 55-60km/h (34-37mph).

I've been wondering how the Overboost function works on the Taycan and it seems slamming the throttle fully in actually gives better performance than launch control. One thing is the initial kick but it also seems to keep pulling harder this way.

Anyone else experience this behaviour?

IMG_3953.jpg
I am not real good at the terminology but in my Turbo I have noticed one heck of a jolt when I punch it at around 40-ish mph. I have so much to learn still about this vehicle but it has been a fun couple weeks

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Sorry maybe I am confused, are you comparing the 4S or the Turbo to the Turbo S? Also I know that my all season tires are not fully sticking to the roads in temperatures of even 15C. So even with traction off the launch would not be as strong as when moving. I have a few warmer days coming and will have a better sense.
My winter tires, on dry roads, around 15C, handled 1G of acceleration & deceleration.
Sponsored

Last edited: