ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
I have a timer and profile combination to allow me to take advantage of an overnight 4 hour cheap tariff window, however on occasion it doesn't manage to reach 85%, the common factor appears to be that the overnight temperature is below 2C.

An example is last night the battery was 79%, with a 7.4KW charger I would expect this is easily reach 85% in four hours, however it only managed 83%, although this isn't really a major issue, I am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I am using a Rolec 7.4KW charger on a 32 amp circuit and if I sit in the car I see an average of 7KW charge, therefore I don't think its an issue with the charger itself.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Have you tried with your Porsche Mobile Charger Connect the same experiment (you can monitor all of this remotely then)?

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
I have a timer and profile combination to allow me to take advantage of an overnight 4 hour cheap tariff window, however on occasion it doesn't manage to reach 85%, the common factor appears to be that the overnight temperature is below 2C.

An example is last night the battery was 79%, with a 7.4KW charger I would expect this is easily reach 85% in four hours, however it only managed 83%, although this isn't really a major issue, I am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I am using a Rolec 7.4KW charger on a 32 amp circuit and if I sit in the car I see an average of 7KW charge, therefore I don't think its an issue with the charger itself.
It's gonna charge more than 4% given a 4 hour window. I'm finding that it's more like with the colder weather it seems hard for it to judge when it's reached 85% for some reason or maybe the cold makes the state of charge volatile. I just don't know.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The 7.4 kW charger would certainly be enough to provide the necessary amount of charge.

I would not be surprised if you would see it jumping back up to 85% if the car heated up from a cold night. In other cars you can see if there is more energy Available but the BMS reports a lower figure.

OP
OP

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
Have you tried with your Porsche Mobile Charger Connect the same experiment (you can monitor all of this remotely then)?
I haven’t tried the Porsche Mobile Charger, I would only be able to connect it via a 3pin plug, which wouldn’t provide a lot of charge, but I think I will try it this weekend.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I haven’t tried the Porsche Mobile Charger, I would only be able to connect it via a 3pin plug, which wouldn’t provide a lot of charge, but I think I will try it this weekend.
Pity as it won't prove that productive. Is it not an option to connect to your existing supply and disconnect the one you have?

Out of interest why do you have 2 home charging units?

OP
OP

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
Pity as it won't prove that productive. Is it not an option to connect to your existing supply and disconnect the one you have?

Out of interest why do you have 2 home charging units?
My Taycan is a company car, the leasing company that provided it didn’t tell me that the Porsche Mobile Charger was included, if they had I wouldn’t have installed the Rolec, instead I would have had a 32amp circuit installed.

I am considering ordering the Charger Unit and swapping the Rolec as it doesn’t offer any real capabilities.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My Taycan is a company car, the leasing company that provided it didn’t tell me that the Porsche Mobile Charger was included, if they had I wouldn’t have installed the Rolec, instead I would have had a 32amp circuit installed.

I am considering ordering the Charger Unit and swapping the Rolec as it doesn’t offer any real capabilities.
Ok that makes sense now. There are 2 chargers available - Porsche Mobile Charger and Porsche Mobile Charger Connect.. I'd advise the latter as I think it offers more features.

OP
OP

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
Wednesday morning charge reached 83%, however this mornings charge reached the target of 85%, I am assuming this is temperature related, but will keep an eye on it.

I am considering switching the Rolec for the Porsche Mobile Charger that came with the car, but I will need to add a commando socket outside, therefore its not going to be a quick change.

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag

Do you have some preheating timer? I've seen that the power needed for preheating goes up to 6 kW

OP
OP

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
Do you have some preheating timer? I've seen that the power needed for preheating goes up to 6 kW
I have a Profile defining the schedule 00:30 to 04:30 and a Timer defining maximum charge of 85%, pre-heating is disabled.

It worked fine for 2 weeks, it has just been two morning when it has failed to reach the 85%.

I will keep monitoring it and see what happens.
Sponsored