evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
The dealership confirm a faulty 12v battery. They need approval from Porsche corporate before replacing it.
So the dealership knows its a faulty battery and they STILL need corporate approval to replace it? WTF?

Sounds like Porsche needs to more fully empower their folks on the front lines...
Sponsored

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Everytime any company "empowers" its empoyess on the front lines, a bunch of spare parts magically appear on ebay, every, single, time.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Everytime any company "empowers" its empoyess on the front lines, a bunch of spare parts magically appear on ebay, every, single, time.
Not my company. Not true...

Empowering your employees to make functional decisions does not leave them unaccountable for inventory management. Employee empowerment is a core concept in the architecture of a successful company.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the new battery could mitigate the issue - but based on feedback from my dealer and my taycan the issue is _NOT_ fully resolved - there are still cases where 12V battery will be allowed to die.

TL;DR; - my car is back, porsche understands potential 12V ‘dead’ issues better now - they are continuing to work on software issues to mitigate and resolve the issue - there will be another software update (time line undetermined) in the future - porsche told me if it happens again they would like logs from the vehicle.

details on my thread - when I get a chance to write it up.

based on my conversation with my deatler the 12V issue is _NOT_ resolved, and it can still happen until we have another update.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree, this is clearly a software issue. So many 12V batteries just don't die over and over. (Especially while they have access to an operating charger). This isn't the fault of the battery technology and I seriously doubt its a battery manufacturing issue.

Porsche is just busy "throwing batteries at the problem" cause they don't know what else to do.

Again, Porsche's inability to develop quality software is the ongoing problem here (like so many other issues we have also seen). There are plenty of good software engineers in this world. Do NONE of them work for Porsche? Why can't they hire some?

Bikergal

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 Boxster S, 2014 Cayenne
Country flag
FWIW: I have seen two strange instances that people say could cause it. An old L2 charger that once at full charge starts pulling the charge back to the grid, and a You Tuber who says the Mobile Charger Connect has two 110v setting and one of those will kill the 12v. I no longer have range anxiety since a 1500 mile trip but I absolutely have 12v anxiety. I always lock the car in the garage so I know it’s really off. My car has had the recent ‘fix’ campaign so it’s only a 99% anxiety level.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FWIW: I have seen two strange instances that people say could cause it. An old L2 charger that once at full charge starts pulling the charge back to the grid, and a You Tuber who says the Mobile Charger Connect has two 110v setting and one of those will kill the 12v. I no longer have range anxiety since a 1500 mile trip but I absolutely have 12v anxiety. I always lock the car in the garage so I know it’s really off. My car has had the recent ‘fix’ campaign so it’s only a 99% anxiety level.
No, I don't think so... Lots of data by very knowledgeable folks here over several threads...

- The 12V battery isn't directly connected to the external "charger" circuit at all. Its charged from an onboard circuit that gets power from the car's main (propulsion) batteries.

- A charger (brand by brand) isn't anything special. Its actually more just a "relay" than a "charger". It simply turns power on/off to the "real" charger which is inside the car. This issue likely has nothing to do with the particular brand of charger being used.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not my company. Not true...

Empowering your employees to make functional decisions does not leave them unaccountable for inventory management. Employee empowerment is a core concept in the architecture of a successful company.
Dealerships would instantly OK everything and add in anything else they can think of, they get fully paid for all the warranty work with no repercussions for anything approved. It's pure profit to take as much warranty work as they can find. Your dealer isn't going to do a single thing until they know who is paying for it.

Employee empowerment only works if you can fire them for misusing their authority.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dealerships would instantly OK everything and add in anything else they can think of, they get fully paid for all the warranty work with no repercussions for anything approved. It's pure profit to take as much warranty work as they can find. Your dealer isn't going to do a single thing until they know who is paying for it.

Employee empowerment only works if you can fire them for misusing their authority.
What planet do you live on?

Dealerships are typically held accountable for the decisions they make. If they frivolously issued parts/repairs without good reason (and the associated documentation), it would come out of their pocket. They usually don't have to ask for permission, but they typically are required to justify their decisions. This is management 101. You give the employees the power to solve problems until/unless they prove they are unable do so...

Last edited:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Dealerships want to get paid above all else, and therefore they won't do anything until they have confirmation they're going to get paid. How that confirmation is handled is all contractually agreed to.

Of course dealerships can and do provide services as part of goodwill, but that's cost out of their own pockets.

Rekool3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2020 911 Carrera 4S
Dealerships want to get paid above all else, and therefore they won't do anything until they have confirmation they're going to get paid. How that confirmation is handled is all contractually agreed to.

Of course dealerships can and do provide services as part of goodwill, but that's cost out of their own pockets.
Agreed!

Having just picked up my Turbo S today, I spoke at length with the Service manager about this very issue. When Porsche authorizes warranty work they now control cost by only authorizing a specific amount of service labor per campaign (and they are tight). My Taycan had 5 service campaigns this trip, which included a new 12V battery WLE3 (though no issues on my end), new wiper arms WLE1, a high voltage cable and hardware WLD0, as well as WLG2 & WLH5 which weren't defined in the paperwork. The total authorized labor was 12.88 hours. Though because it was all warranty work, no amounts came up on my copy, but he showed me that all totaled it was $4,445.87. Not pure profit by any means.

So far, with 7350 miles, it was been only wonderful. I do not charge at home, which may have kept out of the 12V battery issues. The local Target has 5 - 150KW chargers and a Starbucks, so no big hardships here.

Cheers

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Employee (dealership) empowerment has nothing to do with the "generosity" of a dealership (paying out of their own pocket).

Employee (Dealership) Empowerment simply provides the dealership the ability to make decisions without having to "call home" to get every single maintenance activity approved. It doesn't mean they have to pay out of their pocket. Similarly, it doesn't mean corporate doesn't pay for the repair. It also doesn't mean they are not accountable for these decisions should they be inappropriate. What it does mean is customers shouldn't have to wait for a "Mother may I?" before every repair (like a replacement for a fully dead battery) is authorized. There needs to be trust and accountability in place for this type of a relationship. Companies operate much more efficiently, and customers are generally happier, with this type of an arrangement. If a company can't trust its dealerships then they should revoke their franchise.

In this case we have a fully dead 12v battery (lithium batteries fail when fully depleted). The dealership is asking "mother" if they can replace it. Meanwhile the customer waits for approval. What is Porsche going to do, refuse the replacement?
Sponsored

Last edited: