Overwhelmed by options available Taycan Turbo

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
No 19.2kw or 22kw :-/ it’s always something!
I have it. I use it at home (100A circuit), used it once on a trip, but it's a nice to have so would not be a deal breaker for me. Having had 80A charger in my EVs over the last decade, for me they came handy but not absolute necessity about once or twice a year. If you really want it, Porsche will retrofit it for you (same cost as at factory option cost + up to 12hrs of labor IIRC). If that's the only thing and the car has been sitting for a while on the dealer lot, you could try to negotiate with the dealer to offer you a discounted or free retrofit.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
This other car has BOSE, right? You don’t need to go for Burmester (it’s rare because it’s super expensive), but unless you don’t care about listening to music at all, the standard sound system is not good. However, I think BOSE may be part of the base package on the Turbo? Or maybe just on later MYs?
yes, I think they both have Bose. I’m not that concerned about the stereo. Would I pay an extra thousand or two for the Burmester? I probably would. When I was younger, I called myself an “audiophile” and really made a big deal about sound. My current car doesn’t have the premium sound and the sales rep said to me “ it’s good enough.” I listen to it for a minute and agreed, it was fine. The Burmester sticks in the back of my head is something beautiful and unattainable, somewhat like a Victoria’s Secret model; very expensive maybe without the high maintenance!

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you are making a big assumption, that a lack of smoking package means nobody smoked in the car. Personally, I couldn't care less if it has a smoking package, if it's a used car, I need to sit in it and smell it before I buy it.
True, but does someone ordering one plan to smoke in the car? Probably? Cigars? I hope not! It’s a minor consideration, but not a huge deal for me. I’m more bothered about the lack of third seat in the back that no one gets that I really want and need. I don’t think that can be added but I could be wrong. Has anyone added the optional $550 third seat in place of the tray in the middle of the backseat? Not third row but third seat.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Just tick/select ALL options and that way no more being overwhelmed- if you find out you don’t need it, just switch it off or ignore it…… that will be £1,000,000 consolation fee please 🤓

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have it. I use it at home (100A circuit), used it once on a trip, but it's a nice to have so would not be a deal breaker for me. Having had 80A charger in my EVs over the last decade, for me they came handy but not absolute necessity about once or twice a year. If you really want it, Porsche will retrofit it for you (same cost as at factory option cost + up to 12hrs of labor IIRC). If that's the only thing and the car has been sitting for a while on the dealer lot, you could try to negotiate with the dealer to offer you a discounted or free retrofit.
I know you’re absolutely right. In seven years I’ve had my current car. I’ve never used above 50A (9.6KW? I’m trying to get used to these new numbers!) away from home. I spent a fortune changing out my entire home circuit to accommodate 100 amp in the garage. It required a new 200A feed to the home. Took lots of justifying to my wife why we needed the extra current. “ dear we’re going to need this someday as you’ll have an electric car too!”

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just tick/select ALL options and that way no more being overwhelmed- if you find out you don’t need it, just switch it off or ignore it…… that will be £1,000,000 consolation fee please 🤓
Thanks Hanny, your check is in the mail!
I am buying used. It’s more what I can get away with not having. 😀

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, you’re right, it definitely falls under one of the nice to have but not completely necessary, options. I’m going to ask the dealer as part of the package along with replacing tray with third seat. That doesn’t sound promising!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Has anyone added the optional $550 third seat in place of the tray in the middle of the backseat? Not third row but third seat.
No. It's pointless for any normal human to be able to sit there comfortably.

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just think it’s more useful than, what is that they give you, a laptop tray or something?!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the 2+1 seating has a 40/20/40 split for fold down vs. 60/40 split with out it

personally I prefer the 40/20/40 split but yeah the 5th "seat" is useless - but the option configures the rear seat fold down differently…

again not a big deal.

Hawk

First Name
Addy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C55 AMG, Audi Q7
Country flag
True, but does someone ordering one plan to smoke in the car? Probably? Cigars? I hope not! It’s a minor consideration, but not a huge deal for me. I’m more bothered about the lack of third seat in the back that no one gets that I really want and need. I don’t think that can be added but I could be wrong. Has anyone added the optional $550 third seat in place of the tray in the middle of the backseat? Not third row but third seat.
I have added 3rd seat option. Did it to have the option of someone being able to sit even for a short time, than no option at all, especially when you have 2 kids. Can't hurt the resale value. Comes down to your life scenario and optioning it accordingly.
I removed the 19.2kw option. Things like custom keys I hear is not worth it for what you pay. Have fun!

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True! "Brevity is the soul of wit." William Shakespeare

My problem is I start off with a reasonable budget, then add in the goodies I want but don't need, then I'm happy. I'm still getting over the sticker shock of these options. Auto park is nice but no wonder almost no one options it, it's a fortune for something barely needed. :)
Porsche APA

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
True! "Brevity is the soul of wit." William Shakespeare

My problem is I start off with a reasonable budget, then add in the goodies I want but don't need, then I'm happy. I'm still getting over the sticker shock of these options. Auto park is nice but no wonder almost no one options it, it's a fortune for something barely needed. :)
Porsche APA
To get the Taycan up to the standard spec of our Prius PHEV (which I chose over a Panamera PHEV because it was smaller and lighter and Porsche options prices are offensive) would cost £10k in options.

I decided based on how many of them I used a lot and didn’t bother with HUD, comfort entry, Night vision warning and auto parking and haven’t missed any of them!
I did go for dipping mirrors, folding mirrors and blind spot warning and am pleased I did.

The Taycan is the first Porsche I have specced and bought, none of the others have made it to the top of my short list for one reason or another.
Sponsored