twr3

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2) 2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have read through the numerous PCM5 issue posts. I have two Taycan Turbos (M/Y 2021) and am experiencing daily what many on the forum also experience, such as:

1. No music for the first five minutes after turning the car on - just a spinning wheel "loading data". This occurs even if the car was off for under a minute.
2. Check SiriusXM Antenna error
3. Loss of 'Favorites' weekly
4. Five minutes before wireless Carplay kicks in....and then all audio stops.

I can improve this if I do a factory reset on the PCM, but then the problem starts again after a few days. The service department feign ignorance and suggest replacing the PCM, but from reading the many, many posts on the shortcoming of PCM5, I know the issue is widespread and replalcing the PCM5 will not resolve anything.

Has Porsche ever acknowledged these issues? Do we know if we can get a PCM6 upgrade? Or will those of us with PCM5 be doomed with a broken interface?
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have read through the numerous PCM5 issue posts. I have two Taycan Turbos (M/Y 2021) and am experiencing daily what many on the forum also experience, such as:

1. No music for the first five minutes after turning the car on - just a spinning wheel "loading data". This occurs even if the car was off for under a minute.
2. Check SiriusXM Antenna error
3. Loss of 'Favorites' weekly
4. Five minutes before wireless Carplay kicks in....and then all audio stops.

I can improve this if I do a factory reset on the PCM, but then the problem starts again after a few days. The service department feign ignorance and suggest replacing the PCM, but from reading the many, many posts on the shortcoming of PCM5, I know the issue is widespread and replalcing the PCM5 will not resolve anything.

Has Porsche ever acknowledged these issues? Do we know if we can get a PCM6 upgrade? Or will those of us with PCM5 be doomed with a broken interface?
If you own two Taycan Turbo S's, one would expect that Porsche treats you as a good customer. What does your dealer say when you ask about upgrading to PCM6?

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
The lag before Carplay kicks in is the worst part for me. No reason why it should take so long. Sometimes you have to force it to connect manually, sometimes it just takes forever.

I'm in a loaner Macan for the last week and wireless Carplay is almost instant, and never crashes. I will admit the UI in the Macan is much less intuitive, and Carplay is laughably small because it doesn't go full screen, but the system overall performs so much better than Taycan's laggy PCM.

I won't get my hopes up as I'm betting it's harware limited, but an upgrade would definitely be welcomed.

OP
OP

twr3

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2) 2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you own two Taycan Turbo S's, one would expect that Porsche treats you as a good customer. What does your dealer say when you ask about upgrading to PCM6?
They say that 'they've never heard of the problem' and that the PCM5 is not upgradable to PCM6.....but, everyone on this forum is chapters ahead of the service departments.

OP
OP

twr3

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2) 2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The lag before Carplay kicks in is the worst part for me. No reason why it should take so long. Sometimes you have to force it to connect manually, sometimes it just takes forever.
As annoying as that is...I hate having to wait for any music to play....sometime 15 minutes will go by and I'll have to turn on/off the car to try again...or constantly having to repopulate the 'favorites'

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
I am pretty sure, you are mixing PCM Versions. All Taycans have the same (MIB3 based) Infotainment called PCM6.
MY22 gets an improved PCM6 Software like e.g. v6.2

911, Cayenne, Panamera etc. the will get PCM6 the first time and were equipped with PCM5+4.x etc. before.

NickUK

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A35
Country flag
My PCM just randomly turns itself off and reboots. Seems to happen almost every other time I drive for no apparent reason.
Great car, underwhelming tech

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I am pretty sure, you are mixing PCM Versions. All Taycans have the same (MIB3 based) Infotainment called PCM6.
MY22 gets an improved PCM6 Software like e.g. v6.2

911, Cayenne, Panamera etc. the will get PCM6 the first time and were equipped with PCM5+4.x etc. before.
Thanks for clarifying.
Sponsored