PEC - guest driver not allowed to drive a Taycan!

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Just a heads up that the Taycan's on PEC day are reserved only for customers. At least here in the UK.

While the invite email stipulates you can bring a guest for an 'experience' on the day - for £472 - it can only be in one of the following vehicles:

911 Carrera PDK (992)
911 Carrera S PDK (992)
911 Carrera 4S PDK (992)
911 Carrera 4S Cab PDK (992)
911 Targa 4S PDK (992)

718 Boxster PDK or Manual
718 Boxster S PDK or Manual
718 Boxster GTS 4.0 PDK or Manual

718 Cayman PDK or Manual
718 Cayman S PDK or Manual
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK or Manual

Macan
Macan S
Macan GTS
Macan Turbo

Panamera Turbo
Panamera 4S E-Hybrid
Panamera 4S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Panamera GTS
Panamera GTS Sport Turismo

Cayenne
Cayenne Coupe
Cayenne S
Cayenne S Coupe
Cayenne GTS
Cayenne GTS Coupe
Cayenne E-Hybrid
Cayenne E-Hybrid

I might ask for a full day where I drive the Taycan morning, then in the afternoon pay the £472 for a drive in a 911 4S.

Could be a unique opportunity to directly compare driving experience in both Porsche flasgships for ICE and EV... Not that I will purchase a 911 because of punitive tax on ICE company cars. I've just never driven one.
Sponsored

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not the case in the US. My guest drove a 4S together with me at Atlanta PEC

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I did a Taycan GTS morning experience on Tuesday at Silverstone.
In another GTS there was a father and son combo taking turns?

OP
OP
TaycanHero

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting, unless they have now stopped this because of availability issues?

My original date was not possible - where I was going to say hi to Murph - so I've had to provide a few alternative dates.

Part of the email from the Porsche PEC agent I am speaking to explained:

Unfortunately our Taycan models are currently reserved for customers who are taking delivery of this model therefore we would not be able to allocate a Taycan to your guest.

I don't know if instead you can bring your +1 as an "observer" and then it is at the discretion of the organisers on the day if your +1 can also spend some time driving the Taycan? That wouldn't work for me as I am bringing a friend who only wants to join me if they can actually drive a Taycan.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Interesting, unless they have now stopped this because of availability issues?

My original date was not possible - where I was going to say hi to Murph - so I've had to provide a few alternative dates.

Part of the email from the Porsche PEC agent I am speaking to explained:

Unfortunately our Taycan models are currently reserved for customers who are taking delivery of this model therefore we would not be able to allocate a Taycan to your guest.

I don't know if instead you can bring your +1 as an "observer" and then it is at the discretion of the organisers on the day if your +1 can also spend some time driving the Taycan? That wouldn't work for me as I am bringing a friend who only wants to join me if they can actually drive a Taycan.

Thats the crucial bit, they dont have EXTRA Taycans to allocate but they are quite happy for your guest to take some of YOUR 2.5 hrs in YOUR allocated Taycan.
I am pretty sure that is how it works!

One more point, if you have been before and you request the same instructor and he remembers you as semi-competent then you dont have to do the briefing and you can get out a cheeky few minutes early and have a clear track!

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
Just a heads up that the Taycan's on PEC day are reserved only for customers. At least here in the UK.

While the invite email stipulates you can bring a guest for an 'experience' on the day - for £472 - it can only be in one of the following vehicles:

911 Carrera PDK (992)
911 Carrera S PDK (992)
911 Carrera 4S PDK (992)
911 Carrera 4S Cab PDK (992)
911 Targa 4S PDK (992)

718 Boxster PDK or Manual
718 Boxster S PDK or Manual
718 Boxster GTS 4.0 PDK or Manual

718 Cayman PDK or Manual
718 Cayman S PDK or Manual
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK or Manual

Macan
Macan S
Macan GTS
Macan Turbo

Panamera Turbo
Panamera 4S E-Hybrid
Panamera 4S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Panamera GTS
Panamera GTS Sport Turismo

Cayenne
Cayenne Coupe
Cayenne S
Cayenne S Coupe
Cayenne GTS
Cayenne GTS Coupe
Cayenne E-Hybrid
Cayenne E-Hybrid

I might ask for a full day where I drive the Taycan morning, then in the afternoon pay the £472 for a drive in a 911 4S.

Could be a unique opportunity to directly compare driving experience in both Porsche flasgships for ICE and EV... Not that I will purchase a 911 because of punitive tax on ICE company cars. I've just never driven one.
I was there 2 weeks ago and can confirm t
I witnessed the same just over 2 weeks ago.

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
Interesting, the list they sent me last week included Taycan 4S and CT 4S

OP
OP
TaycanHero

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Thats the crucial bit, they dont have EXTRA Taycans to allocate but they are quite happy for your guest to take some of YOUR 2.5 hrs in YOUR allocated Taycan.
I am pretty sure that is how it works!

One more point, if you have been before and you request the same instructor and he remembers you as semi-competent then you dont have to do the briefing and you can get out a cheeky few minutes early and have a clear track!
Ah that might be the case. I will check with my PEC rep.

I've not been before so will need the briefing! Here's hoping I'm not the first person in the forum to write-off a Taycan on the PEC day 😂

(Sheepishly standing next to a burning wreck):

"It understeered. It was the car, not me."

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
You'll do anything to avoid being hassled about Race-Tex 😁

My OH is sharing my wheel time. My kids will be wrecking the joint and nicking all the 912 chocolates (I have been likened to Fagin several times).

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Perhaps it was date specific on the availability? I did mine in February in a CT Turbo and paid for my partner do do the same (also CT Turbo). i just did the track stuff but she did the 1st session on public roads which made her (and me given that her first drive in the iPace got us stopped by a Glasgow Police Van 😬😂..) much more confident for real world use.

OP
OP
TaycanHero

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps it was date specific on the availability? I did mine in February in a CT Turbo and paid for my partner do do the same (also CT Turbo). i just did the track stuff but she did the 1st session on public roads which made her (and me given that her first drive in the iPace got us stopped by a Glasgow Police Van 😬😂..) much more confident for real world use.
Perhaps, I will have to ask them if my friend can share my Taycan ride time. I did specifically ask about the ST (availability issue?), so perhaps they have misunderstood where my friend would be happy with an RWD saloon, so long as he gets to drive it.

Good idea getting some public road time.

Let me preface my first Taycan test drive back in February with this:

I passed my driving test (first time 🥳) August 2001, then never sat behind the wheel again until Sep 2021 (refresher lessons), over 20 years later. Since then I must have driven some 10,000+ km on various roads, from busy city to mountain and on both sides of the road, without a scratch...

Well, up until a half-awake 5am airport run the other day where I nastily scratched the rear door of my SUV hire getting it out of an absurdly tight underground car park. Just to make it even more embarrassing for me, it's brand new and I'm the first person to hire it. I've also navigated the very same corner countless times these past few weeks - at a normal time of day - with no issues.

I give it back middle of this month and will be sheepishly handing over the keys before sprinting off to departures. I won't look back for the embarrassment factor. Deposit has been vaporised. Hopefully my UK hire car insurance covers me.

With that explained:

The Taycan is the first sports performance car I have driven. That was back in February. Perhaps it was luck, but I was driving it like I stole it in Sports+ the whole 30 minutes and somehow managed to keep it on the road 😂

Road confidence is very important, especially when you are talking £100k+ and 500+ HP!

It also means you can better behave yourself around the police, as you know where you can speed... or not 😂

OP
OP
TaycanHero

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You'll do anything to avoid being hassled about Race-Tex 😁

My OH is sharing my wheel time. My kids will be wrecking the joint and nicking all the 912 chocolates (I have been likened to Fagin several times).
I'm slowly turning on to it. But don't worry: I will change my mind again. I'll be ping-ponging leather and Race-Tex until lock in date now that I'm not convinced leather = "sporty".

It also means I can drop the ventilated seats option and waste spend the £700 on something gratuitous.

I think my friend probably could share my driving time, which would work out nicely. And based on my wait time, I too might be tempted to do a Fagin and drive the GTS home instead.

I now won't be there on the 25th August, but I am sure at some point next year, when more of us have our cars, we can organise a forum meet over a non-alcoholic beer!
Sponsored