Pending Taycan Delivery - Concern

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am one of the owners with the dreaded "registration unavailable" problem.

My advice is to pick up the car early, ideally in the morning on a weekday. If you run into the same issue, don't take the car until it's corrected. It's a software issue so shouldn't take long to resolve. My salesman knew nothing about it but as soon as I told the service rep that my SOS light is flashing red they immediately knew what was wrong.

I picked up my car before closing on Friday evening so the service department was closed already. Initially I thought NBD, I can still drive the car but I didn't realize how much of a pain it is. I basically have to go through the same setup every time I use the car. 3 days later car had to go back to dealer...
Sponsored

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I am a relatively new Taycan MY22 CT4 owner with 1300 miles since 13-Nov-2021. I am a first time Porsche owner who is now past the “wait and hope for the best” stage. Two recent glitches stand out from the dozens of other bugs that I have encountered in the short time I have owned the car.

The first one is not a safety issue, but nevertheless it was frustrating. When opening either driver side door the window moves downward about 10mm. When the door is closed the window is supposed to return to the full up position. In my case, the window moved down and stayed down. Then the next time the door was opened, it went down another 10mm. After opening and closing the door a few times the window is down 2 inches. When driving the car it was not a big deal. Open door, get in car, pull the window switch up to close the window. Parking the car is a different matter. Open door, get out of car, window stays cracked open. Fortunately this problem went away by itself after one day and has not reoccurred. I am pretty sure I really observed this window behavior, but some times I wonder if it was just a bad dream resulting from reading about countless software glitches on this forum.

The second glitch was definitely a safety issue. We started out fully charged early on a damp cold morning for a longer than usual trip. After a couple of miles the windshield started to fog up. Just as I went to toggle on the windshield defrost the central screen, passenger screen, and console screen blacked out leaving no way to turn on the defroster. The instrument cluster did not shutdown. I had to pull off the road due to zero visibility. Fortunately, after what seemed about a minute, the three screens booted back up starting with the Porsche logo on the central screen. I turned on the windshield defroster and went on our way with no further problems.

After this incident, I decided that the Taycan CT4 is not going to be a keeper. I now plan to trade it in after three years or 36000 miles, which ever comes first. I want to leave the next owner enough warranty time and mileage to deal with any issues that exist when I turn in the car. I purchased my last two cars, a Tesla Model 3 and this CT4, sight unseen. As the next generation of EVs come to market over the next two years I expect to take a lot of test drives.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The other things to separate out are dealer and EA complaints.
Ah, but it's part of the experience. I used to love Teslas, even though they were (are?) early adopter cars which require TLC from the service. But that was when the service was stellar and always took care of the owners - always a Tesla loaner (though not the top of the line like Elon told the media, in 8 years and 4 Model S I never ever got the top of the line loaner), always fix the issues that popped up in a reasonable time windows. Then Model 3 and Y flooded out, Elon started laser focusing on profit, and service went down hill with it - long waits, no more loaners, refusing to fix obvious issues like a yellowing screen on a less than a year old $100K+ car, etc, etc. That definitely sours the experience. I suppose if the car was perfect, nobody would be worried about long service waits. Given the Taycan is also still experiencing some teething pains, I would think service is what can make ownership a dream or a nightmare.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Ah, but it's part of the experience.
I mean to separate the dealer issues in the sense that it’s unique to each dealer and doesn’t necessarily apply to all Taycans. Not that they don’t matter or are irrelevant to the people they happen to.

There are a decent number of complaints/concerns that are dealership related and would be a non-issue at another dealer.

For example, I tend to hear bad things about the Seattle area (which actually, you’re from, yes?). I have no personal experience though, so I don’t know.

On the other hand, I’ve had a great experience with my dealer in STL (since 2015) and have a lot of confidence in them.

Actually, positive dealership experience is a big part of why I’m getting a 992 over an Emira. I really like the Emira, but I’m worried about service/support and the longevity of the local Lotus dealer. I had an Elise in ‘05 and IIRC, that dealer shut down a few years after purchase. The current one is different and I’m not sure there weren’t more around in between. I don’t have any concerns about my Porsche dealer taking care of me or being around for a while.

pdavison

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Velar, Harley Davidson Sportster
Country flag
I am still a long way off taking delivery of my Taycan as it's only just been ordered but as a serial forum member on many car forums, one thing I would say is forums do tend to collate more negative thoughts and experiences than positive. It's probably just a reflection of human nature as we tend to share negative experiences more than positive ones so I just wanted to put it out there for some balance.

I for one can't wait (although it's going to be a long wait)!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I mean to separate the dealer issues in the sense that it’s unique to each dealer and doesn’t necessarily apply to all Taycans. Not that they don’t matter or are irrelevant to the people they happen to.

There are a decent number of complaints/concerns that are dealership related and would be a non-issue at another dealer.

For example, I tend to hear bad things about the Seattle area (which actually, you’re from, yes?). I have no personal experience though, so I don’t know.

On the other hand, I’ve had a great experience with my dealer in STL (since 2015) and have a lot of confidence in them.

Actually, positive dealership experience is a big part of why I’m getting a 992 over an Emira. I really like the Emira, but I’m worried about service/support and the longevity of the local Lotus dealer. I had an Elise in ‘05 and IIRC, that dealer shut down a few years after purchase. The current one is different and I’m not sure there weren’t more around in between. I don’t have any concerns about my Porsche dealer taking care of me or being around for a while.
Yep, I'm in the Seattle area. Amazing service is what kept me coming back for more Teslas, and their service quality dropping is what drove me away from it (that and the stupid yoke without stalks ;) ). Hoping for little Taycan service needs, but for the times when I do need it, hopefully I can develop similar rapport as I used to have with one of the Tesla service centers for years. ?

Last edited:

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
I am a relatively new Taycan MY22 CT4 owner with 1300 miles since 13-Nov-2021. I am a first time Porsche owner who is now past the “wait and hope for the best” stage. Two recent glitches stand out from the dozens of other bugs that I have encountered in the short time I have owned the car.

The first one is not a safety issue, but nevertheless it was frustrating. When opening either driver side door the window moves downward about 10mm. When the door is closed the window is supposed to return to the full up position. In my case, the window moved down and stayed down. Then the next time the door was opened, it went down another 10mm. After opening and closing the door a few times the window is down 2 inches. When driving the car it was not a big deal. Open door, get in car, pull the window switch up to close the window. Parking the car is a different matter. Open door, get out of car, window stays cracked open. Fortunately this problem went away by itself after one day and has not reoccurred. I am pretty sure I really observed this window behavior, but some times I wonder if it was just a bad dream resulting from reading about countless software glitches on this forum.

The second glitch was definitely a safety issue. We started out fully charged early on a damp cold morning for a longer than usual trip. After a couple of miles the windshield started to fog up. Just as I went to toggle on the windshield defrost the central screen, passenger screen, and console screen blacked out leaving no way to turn on the defroster. The instrument cluster did not shutdown. I had to pull off the road due to zero visibility. Fortunately, after what seemed about a minute, the three screens booted back up starting with the Porsche logo on the central screen. I turned on the windshield defroster and went on our way with no further problems.

After this incident, I decided that the Taycan CT4 is not going to be a keeper. I now plan to trade it in after three years or 36000 miles, which ever comes first. I want to leave the next owner enough warranty time and mileage to deal with any issues that exist when I turn in the car. I purchased my last two cars, a Tesla Model 3 and this CT4, sight unseen. As the next generation of EVs come to market over the next two years I expect to take a lot of test drives.
I had exactly your 'dropping' window glitch on my A7 about a year ago - was thinking of calling into my dealer - but it went away by itself after a week or so - never happened since

So no dream...

I think some of the basic software in the Audi A7 must be common to Taycan since much of the functionality and menus seem to be identical from what I have seen on this forum - Also I had a couple of precisely the same minor glitches as are mentioned in this forum ...... but a single dealer update cured them (called in for an hour). ... Faultless otherwise

If my forthcoming Taycan is no worse than my rock-solid A7, I will be absolutely delighted.

cheers

MrRothIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Incoming: Taycan
Country flag
It’s usually like that on car forums especially something new to market. People google issues they run into and find the forums or seek them out to discuss problems.

I look at it like there were over 50k Taycans sold and this forum, like most, only represents a small portion of them. And the ones with problems or complaints are still only a portion of those members.

Half the members are still waiting on a car or trying to get TYD to work ?

My car finally touched Halifax today after being “”produced” back in July. I am excited to get it and expect glitches as it is something new. The worst case scenarios are usually the exception. Plenty are out there enjoying their Taycans.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I had exactly your 'dropping' window glitch on my A7 about a year ago - was thinking of calling into my dealer - but it went away by itself after a week or so - never happened since

So no dream...

I think some of the basic software in the Audi A7 must be common to Taycan since much of the functionality and menus seem to be identical from what I have seen on this forum - Also I had a couple of precisely the same minor glitches as are mentioned in this forum ...... but a single dealer update cured them (called in for an hour). ... Faultless otherwise

If my forthcoming Taycan is no worse than my rock-solid A7, I will be absolutely delighted.

cheers
My A7 was better in the software department. Maybe the software was simple back then, but over 7 years everything just worked - never in the shop besides regular service...

On the other hand, the styling and handling of my 4S+ with the electric drive train makes up more than enough for the few software glitches. After 17 months, still looking forward to every single drive - how is that possible???

Would I buy it again in a few years? Depends on the competition but for now, it is the must have EV!

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
My A7 was better in the software department. Maybe the software was simple back then, but over 7 years everything just worked - never in the shop besides regular service...

On the other hand, the styling and handling of my 4S+ with the electric drive train makes up more than enough for the few software glitches. After 17 months, still looking forward to every single drive - how is that possible???

Would I buy it again in a few years? Depends on the competition but for now, it is the must have EV!
My 2019 A7 has a 3 screen configurable cockpit very like the Taycan - true that only 2 are touchscreens - but similar voice control, menu and smartphone interfaces etc - IMHO A7 software is very similar.

biohoodc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS, Tesla 3, Taycan
Country flag
I picked up my MY22 just over a month ago and other than the registration not available issue I had for the first week / week and a half (due to poor dealer setup which was fixed with a 20 minute visit), this car has been a sheer joy. Hands down the best car I've ever owned and, as others have said, it puts a grin on my face every time I drive it.

I will also say that software glitches and quirkiness are not the exclusive domain of Porsche. My fiancee has a Tesla Model 3 and everything from her having issues unlocking the car when she walks up to it with her phone to that car randomly freaking out and stopping itself when she's trying to park in a garage would very much drive me up the wall. Glitches that she's living with day-in, day-out.

mb3195

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
10 days of ownership, car is superb but software is awful. Also back at the dealer getting a rear windscreen replacement that had a crack in it and was missed on the PID check (easily done as it’s on the inside panel).

can’t wait to get it back, get some decent weather and start to get to know the car.

but the software does appear to be luck whether or not it works flawlessly or not, I’ve already had 5 different error messages appear.

Hope the OP will be lucky.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
... passenger screen, and console screen blacked out leaving no way to turn on the defroster. The instrument cluster did not shutdown. I had to pull off the road due to zero visibility. Fortunately, after what seemed about a minute, the three screens booted back up starting with the Porsche logo on the central screen.
While this is in no way an excuse for the operation of the Taycan, I have had a similar experience in my Tesla Y: while driving in the rain this past summer, the central screen went blank and I was unable to turn on the windshield wiper. So I pulled off the road and rebooted the screen (push and hold both the left and right scroll wheels) and in a minute or so the screen came back and I was able to drive again. Luckily in the year I've owned the Y this has only happened once, though I do know others have this more frequently. In the old days, you had a mechanical button for the windshield wiper but today its computer controlled so when the computer goes down, so does the windshield wiper (and pretty much everything else).

Also on my Tesla Y when trying to use voice commands, I often get the "Connection not available" which indicates that the cellular connection is not good. Yet my iPhone connection works just fine. I've learned to live with this.

The point here is that technology is nice when it works, and a pain when it doesn't. But you can't give up every time you see a problem.

Last edited:

HawkBlitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, BMW M2
Country flag
Yep, I'm in the Seattle area. Amazing service is what kept me coming back for more Teslas, and their service quality dropping is what drove me away from it (that and the stupid yoke without stalks ;) ). Hoping for little Taycan service needs, but for the times when I do need it, hopefully I can develop similar rapport as I used to have with one of the Tesla service centers for years. ?
I am not sure I would be very hopeful of having good experience with the only proper seattle area porsche dealership. I am hoping my Taycan has very little service needs, now that I have figured out how to avoid their Sales dept :)

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I was also one who thought that the problems were overstated by people on this forum and that I would take a wait and see approach. After 3 weeks of waiting, this is what I've seen.

1. Alarm goes off for no reason, constantly. It seems fine if I disable the interior monitoring.

2. Remaining range on the main display shows in KM even though the number is in miles and the car is set to display miles

3. Sometimes the car starts with German displayed ("not a bug" according to Porsche)

4. Sometimes the map and extended map views in the instrument cluster don't work and it just shows a blank black space instead

5. Couldn’t log into Porsche Connect in the car. Red flashing SOS light. (Resolved by the dealer after 2 weeks)

So far, I'm not very impressed with my first Porsche. The car does drive great and seems to be made with good materials and craftsmanship but the usability of the software is quite poor. I think I'm going to have to take it in for its second dealer service visit in the first month of ownership because of the alarm issue.
Sponsored