W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I optioned the Variable Light Control roof on my '22 GTS saloon, which I received in June. When I ordered the car, my dealer didn't think Porsche would accept the VLC option as there were notices of material shortages...but luckily no issues or delays.

I really can't think of any negatives. It's easily the biggest wow factor for everyone who's seen my car. There's just nothing like this on the road today, or really anywhere for that matter (the closest thing I can think of are the windows on the newer Boeing and Airbus jumbo jets which have buttons to make the window clear or opaque...but it's done with a special kind of gas in-between the panes).

If I'm being as critical as possible, when in "clear mode" there's a slight cloudy view, almost like a vague white haze. Though I feel like it's brighter than the standard pano roof, which is heavily tinted. Also, onthe home dashboard widget, you can click and drag to open/close the VLC roof...and there are two quick buttons for the alternating panels...i just wish there were quick buttons for "clear" and "matte"

"Matte" mode is fantastic. The cabin is more brightly lit than the standard pano roof, yet you can still look directly at the sun. My kids always say "look dad, a blood moon!"

The controls are easy and intuitive. There's a fixed button for the VLC on the bottom of the lower screen. You can also configure one of the 3 sections in the home dashboard to be the VLC settings.

Some pictures and video below.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.53.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.54.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.54.32 AM.png

Here are two images showing direct view of sun, with and without "matte" mode
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.57.04 AM.png

Blood Moon!
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.57.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 11.03.58 AM.png

Maybach 57 had similar tech many years ago.

Thanks for the useful review but think I'll stick with the standard Pano roof.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. I like the concept of it. I will probably go for it in the next gen of this feature. I’d like to be able to use more of a variable dimming feature instead of the pattern effect.
I suspect liquid crystals are either on or off, hence why they did it this way.

qubilist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 MDX
Country flag
How well does it block out the sun and heat on a hot day? I live in NorCal which can get high 90's a lot.

OP
OP
SlyStyle

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
How well does it block out the sun and heat on a hot day? I live in NorCal which can get high 90's a lot.
I think it does a better job than the standard pano roof. When the car of off, it automatically goes opaque. Though I also have the thermo glass.

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Porsche says🤓
The innovative panoramic roof with Light Control has a multi-layered structure that shields against heat radiation so effectively that even in the transparent state the roof is protected against heat better than with a mechanical roller blind or a conventional glass roof. Only 15 per cent of the heat enters the interior of the car, as proven by measurements in the solar simulation chamber at the Porsche Development Centre in Weissach. This figure is more than 30 per cent with conventional roofs. 😮
So the standard pano or no pano at all would bake you alive 🥵 😂😂

NFBJRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Could you share a photo of it from the outside when it's matte/opaque?

OP
OP
SlyStyle

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Per request, a mini review of the Variable Light Control VLC roof C4BDC131-5926-4CF3-8BD1-236758E22D94

not the best angle, but you can see the white outline when parked in opaque mode

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Rubystar, Fiat 500e La Prima Cabriolet
Country flag
this is fantastic and thanks for sharing the pics and video.

I finalized my GTS PTS order last week, the only reason for me to order a new Taycan is the PTS (it's rubystar) and the VLC, happy to know/see some real owner experience feedback.

And do you notice the difference between the Sports Sound in GTS vs other models? some say it's a significant lounder and some say it's barely noticeable, wondering what your experience with it so far?

OP
OP
SlyStyle

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this is fantastic and thanks for sharing the pics and video.

I finalized my GTS PTS order last week, the only reason for me to order a new Taycan is the PTS (it's rubystar) and the VLC, happy to know/see some real owner experience feedback.

And do you notice the difference between the Sports Sound in GTS vs other models? some say it's a significant lounder and some say it's barely noticeable, wondering what your experience with it so far?
I only test drove a 4S with the ESS a couple times, but from what I can remember, I’d say the sound is pretty similar. The GTS ESS seems a bit meaner, like a lower rumble than the standard ESS, which sounds more like a spaceship.

I love the GTS ESS and have configured it to be on with my individual drive mode, which I use for 95% of all trips.

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Rubystar, Fiat 500e La Prima Cabriolet
Country flag
I only test drove a 4S with the ESS a couple times, but from what I can remember, I’d say the sound is pretty similar. The GTS ESS seems a bit meaner, like a lower rumble than the standard ESS, which sounds more like a spaceship.

I love the GTS ESS and have configured it to be on with my individual drive mode, which I use for 95% of all trips.
Tnx, good to hear. I also have ess configured in the individual mode :) simply lovely

Abajansns

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera, Audi Q5, Mazda CX-5, BMW 330 I
Country flag
I optioned the Variable Light Control roof on my '22 GTS saloon, which I received in June. When I ordered the car, my dealer didn't think Porsche would accept the VLC option as there were notices of material shortages...but luckily no issues or delays.

I really can't think of any negatives. It's easily the biggest wow factor for everyone who's seen my car. There's just nothing like this on the road today, or really anywhere for that matter (the closest thing I can think of are the windows on the newer Boeing and Airbus jumbo jets which have buttons to make the window clear or opaque...but it's done with a special kind of gas in-between the panes).

If I'm being as critical as possible, when in "clear mode" there's a slight cloudy view, almost like a vague white haze. Though I feel like it's brighter than the standard pano roof, which is heavily tinted. Also, onthe home dashboard widget, you can click and drag to open/close the VLC roof...and there are two quick buttons for the alternating panels...i just wish there were quick buttons for "clear" and "matte"

"Matte" mode is fantastic. The cabin is more brightly lit than the standard pano roof, yet you can still look directly at the sun. My kids always say "look dad, a blood moon!"

The controls are easy and intuitive. There's a fixed button for the VLC on the bottom of the lower screen. You can also configure one of the 3 sections in the home dashboard to be the VLC settings.

Some pictures and video below.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.53.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.54.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.54.32 AM.png

Here are two images showing direct view of sun, with and without "matte" mode
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.57.04 AM.png

Blood Moon!
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.57.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 11.03.58 AM.png

I optioned this on my 4S taycan does the white haze on the clear mode look bad or does it look good and still clear

OP
OP
SlyStyle

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I optioned this on my 4S taycan does the white haze on the clear mode look bad or does it look good and still clear
It looks clear and good

Cluon80

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz GLE
Country flag
Hi there,

Great post!

Do you feel that the car is cooler with the Matte vs Transparent setting on? I'm trying to decide if the main benefit of the VLC is to reduce glare. I also hear that from a driver's perspective, the glare isn't a big factor unless you are seated in the rear seats.

Also, do you or your Dealer happen to know what is the cost to replace the VLC roof if it breaks (e.g. crack in the roof etc)?

I'm finalizing my spec and still undecided on the pano vs pano VLC. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
SlyStyle

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi there,

Great post!

Do you feel that the car is cooler with the Matte vs Transparent setting on? I'm trying to decide if the main benefit of the VLC is to reduce glare. I also hear that from a driver's perspective, the glare isn't a big factor unless you are seated in the rear seats.

Also, do you or your Dealer happen to know what is the cost to replace the VLC roof if it breaks (e.g. crack in the roof etc)?

I'm finalizing my spec and still undecided on the pano vs pano VLC. Thanks for your help!
from Porsche: “The innovative panoramic roof with Light Control has a multi-layered structure that shields against heat radiation so effectively that even in the transparent state the roof is protected against heat better than with a mechanical roller blind or a conventional glass roof. Only 15 per cent of the heat enters the interior of the car, as proven by measurements in the solar simulation chamber at the Porsche Development Centre in Weissach. This figure is more than 30 per cent with conventional roofs.”

I also have the thermo glass, but I do think the VLC roof keeps the cabin cooler. It’s definitely one of, if not THE, biggest “wow“ feature I get from people who see my car.
No idea the price to repair/replace.
Sponsored