DaggieBe

Threads
Reaction score
Website
unrestricted.eu
Vehicles
This and that
Country flag
How do you guys and girls feel about the performance options on the Taycan 4S?

Specifically:

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport)

Rear wheel steer incl. Power Steering Plus (RWS)

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)

There is another topic about the performance battery here.

My 2ct. at the moment:

- PDCC: unless you want to drive it on a racetrack a lot, there is no need for PDCC. Yes the car will tilt, but maybe this increases the engagement? Personally I don't see why you would use a 2.3 tonnes EV as a regular track car, so nobody should need PDCC :) From what I remember, people aren't fans of PDCC on the 911 either.

- RWS: at slow speed, this will help with parking. If you have a difficult to use garage or work location, this makes sense. At higher speeds, the wheels turn the other way around, giving the car a more nimble feel. I don't think it will make a noticeable difference, unless you drive near the limits of the vehicle. For me, the Taycan would be a daily driver, so looking up those limits is not a primary goal

- PTV Plus: I believe the return value of this option will be more broad than the other two. You can pick a couple of corners to play around and you will already have benefit from it. It's also less expensive and not intrusive if you behave. So I'm included to spec this. Does the car really need it? Probably not.
Sponsored

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
PTV how will the Porsche drive without it! Can anyone with a Porsche(any) today tell me the difference. I understand it can brake one wheel to help you around corners, and the rear diff is able to lock.
nice to hear some experience before I lock my build.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never would have ordered RWS myself, but got it on a new to me 911, and really dig it. It makes the turning radius of the car much smaller. Great for parking lots and garages.

PDCC helps manage the car’s weight in aggressive turns. It has proponents on the 911 as well as detractors. The detractors are mostly in the camp that it makes the 911 a little less analogue and they don’t want the computer assistance. That line of thought doesn’t make much sense for an all EV like the taycan. I happen to like the pdcc as it lets me drive harder, and it’s easily controlled between normal, sport and sport plus modes. But it is expensive.

i have PTV+ on the 911 and I couldn’t tell you what it does. I mean, I know, but it seems pretty subtle for the mostly highway and city driving I do. Ymmv if you have more fun roads

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Didn't choose any of these. Mainly because my experience with this level of cars is highly limited and I'm sure that I will be impressed with it regardless of these features. I rather spent on other type of options.

The only one I've later wondered about is the RWS which many here seem to like and have chosen. So in hindsight I may have chosen that if I were to lock my build now. But my build is locked since a good while ago so it is what it is.

I have no real life problems with the turning circle of my A7 so I don't expect the Taycan without RWS to be any worse. So with that in mind I'm ok with what I've chosen.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
I’ve never owned (nor driven) a Porsche before...the Taycan was first. I added the Sports Package mainly because I want all that Porsche can do. Will I *need* it? No. Do you really *need* a Porsche in the first place? No.

But this is a You Only Live Once opportunity for me. I doubt my next car will be this sporty. Well, unless is Taycan 2.0. ;-)

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I only added RWS for parking and U-turns, since this will be a DD car. We don't have a lot of high speed fun roads, so left out the other 2 options. I'm switching from a regular sedan over to a Porsche so even the default Porsche driving dynamics will already be much better than what I'm used to.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have no real life problems with the turning circle of my A7 so I don't expect the Taycan without RWS to be any worse. So with that in mind I'm ok with what I've chosen.
@Singularity looked up some stats for you. The 2020 A7 has a turning radius of 18.2ft while the Taycan without RWS has 19.2ft and the RWS brings that down to an amazing 17.05ft better that even my tiny Bolt EV or my son's 2000 Porsche Boxster S. So you should be fine, within 1ft. I did get RWS as I really want all maneuverability.

BTW Even without RWS the radius is smaller than a Tesla Model S or 3, not that that matters. ;)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
@Singularity looked up some stats for you. The 2020 A7 has a turning radius of 18.2ft while the Taycan without RWS has 19.2ft and the RWS brings that down to an amazing 17.05ft better that even my tiny Bolt EV or my son's 2000 Porsche Boxster S. So you should be fine, within 1ft. I did get RWS as I really want all maneuverability.

BTW Even without RWS the radius is smaller than a Tesla Model S or 3, not that that matters. ;)
That's interesting, thank you! I am glad I ordered RWS because I need this for DD and intensive mega city driving. If I get around U-Turns in one swoop and into tight parking spaces, I am happy.

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

@Singularity , where did you find those numbers? That difference is enough to make me have second thoughts about not ordering the RWS...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Singularity , where did you find those numbers? That difference is enough to make me have second thoughts about not ordering the RWS...
@Td78 the response was from me actually, I was just using singularitys name in the opening. ;)

The turning radius for Taycan is on Porsche spec sheet. A copy is here

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag

From where did you get the 18.2 ft figure? That is either erroneus or a different way of measuring it. I have an older A7 model, and based on what I could find, the turning circle is 11.9 metres which is 39 ft. For the 2020 model you mentioned the figure I found is 36.4 ft.

Or is the "turning radius" 1/2 of "turning circle" which would mean the 18.2 is correct for the 2020 model that has a 36.4 ft turning circle.

But as mentioned my older A7 has a 39 ft turning circle which translates to 19.5 ft turning radius (if I understand this correctly) and thus the Taycan without RWS should have a marginally better radius than my current car. Which is nice.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
How’s the Turbo S 7” wider then the turbo!
that must be a mistake

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
From where did you get the 18.2 ft figure? That is either erroneus or a different way of measuring it. I have an older A7 model, and based on what I could find, the turning circle is 11.9 metres which is 39 ft. For the 2020 model you mentioned the figure I found is 36.4 ft.

Or is the "turning radius" 1/2 of "turning circle" which would mean the 18.2 is correct for the 2020 model that has a 36.4 ft turning circle.

But as mentioned my older A7 has a 39 ft turning circle which translates to 19.5 ft turning radius (if I understand this correctly) and thus the Taycan without RWS should have a marginally better radius than my current car. Which is nice.
I had Googled the A7 turning Radius and it gave me the 2020 model figure. Sorry I didn't state that.
All figured were radei not diameters.
And yes you understand correctly and completely. ;)

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
i got all sportive feature, 21 inch carbons and brakes.

will never track, but want to make sure its safe as possible.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I went with them all on my 4S. I wanted to make the car as fun to drive as possible, even if I don't feel minor nuances of the feature.

RWS is a must IMO. The turning radius of the vehicle is amazing with it, and changing lanes at highway speeds smoother.
Sponsored

Last edited: