All option 4S w/o performance battery plus

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
However, I do have to take issue with the constant harping on resale values. It's not enough to simply state that one options or another will improve resale value. We've been through this with sport chrono and turbos. One needs to evaluate the actual resale value against the actual initial MSRP and very few people actually do that. Instead, you fall in Porsche's trap of buying very expensive but almost ALWAYS unnecessary options...especially if price is an issue for some buyers. I mean come on...ceramic brakes, a stopwatch on the dash for one's track laps to Whole Foods? Luxuries but not necessities and absolutely no proven % benefit at resale time (for those that own vs lease).
I think the difference is the PB+ isn't some luxury option like a nice leather seat, sport chrono, or adaptive cruise control. It's an option that increases the range and longevity in a vehicle subclass that consumers consistently say range is their biggest concern when buying an EV. Throw in that the Taycan already has a poor to mediocre on paper range, especially for the price point, and a bigger battery is just extra assurance for a prospective buyer down the road (or a current one that travels a lot like myself). Battery degradation is a very real thing. There's a reason why a Tesla S with a 75kW and a 90kW battery from 2016 have very different resale values. When my wife recently traded in her 2017 Model X, the first question the dealer ask was if it had the larger battery.
Sponsored

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
I think the difference is the PB+ isn't some luxury option like a nice leather seat, sport chrono, or adaptive cruise control. It's an option that increases the range and longevity in a vehicle subclass that consumers consistently say range is their biggest concern when buying an EV. Throw in that the Taycan already has a poor to mediocre on paper range, especially for the price point, and a bigger battery is just extra assurance for a prospective buyer down the road (or a current one that travels a lot like myself). Battery degradation is a very real thing. There's a reason why a Tesla S with a 75kW and a 90kW battery from 2016 have very different resale values. When my wife recently traded in her 2017 Model X, the first question the dealer ask was if it had the larger battery.
Fair points, but range anxiety for most commuters is way overstated. I imagine that long distance trips represents less than 5% of all EV trips in contrast to actually going back and forth to work or shopping. For that, frankly, 100 miles of range might be enough.

But, I take your point ultimately and naturally...I got the PB+ myself.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Fair points, but range anxiety for most commuters is way overstated. I imagine that long distance trips represents less than 5% of all EV trips in contrast to actually going back and forth to work or shopping. For that, frankly, 100 miles of range might be enough.

But, I take your point ultimately and naturally...I got the PB+ myself.
I completely agree. Most folks would survive with a 100 mile range battery. My wife has a 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid and maybe needs to refill every 6-8 weeks, and that with only 25ish miles of battery range. I would imagine long distance trips represent less than 1% of all EV trips. But that doesn't change that in our minds, we want the ability to go the distance if we really needed to. This will start to get out of consumers heads when charging stations are more ubiquitous, but until then, it is a huge ev concern whether it's warranted or not.

If in 2025 I'm looking at a 2021 Taycan 4S with 65k miles, do I want the smaller battery which now likely has 185 miles of that original 199 EPA range (I know it's more in reality), or do I want the bigger battery that still has closer to 215 miles of range?

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the input. I will definitely add the PB+

I have a few (mainly aesthetic) options that I'm debating on removing from my final build. Still leaving on the Mission e wheels and the leather interior.

*(posted as a separate question on the forum)

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the input. I will definitely add the PB+

I have a few (mainly aesthetic) options that I'm debating on removing from my final build. Still leaving on the Mission e wheels and the leather interior.

*(posted as a separate question on the forum)
It's hard to blame you on those mission e wheels. They are astonishingly good looking. If only they were 20s. Sigh.
Sponsored