4S - Performance Battery Plus - Yes or No?

Will you get the performance battery plus on the 4S?

• Total voters

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Hi Guys,

UK based here and need to lock down spec tomorrow. I am torn on whether I need the performance battery plus option which is £4600 here in the UK. I could get a lot of other toys for my money if I didn't go for this.

The range added is not much 25-30 miles however there is a substantial increase in power available. That said - I have other car's in the house that provide me with that thrill and this 4S is going to be my daily driver for travelling to and from work and other daily chores.

Is this option really needed? Some say it will be hard to sell a car in the future without this option but I am not too sure!

Opinions - did you go for it and if so yes and if not why?

Thanks
Sponsored

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Go big.

UK based here too. Tesla Model S with 100 kwh battery currently (98 kwh usable). I calculate from the review videos that the Taycan may be a bit more efficient but has the smaller performance plus battery (93.4 kwh 83.7 kwh usable). The reality of this is that I expect the Taycan to do roughly what the Tesla can do in the real world (about 230 miles max) meaning that you will be looking to charge at about 200 miles. This is normally too far for me to drive without wanting a toilet stop (4 hours). I am happier driving 150 mile stints which the Taycan should manage comfortably at "normal" UK motorway speeds (70-85).

The answer to your question is I think the smaller Taycan battery is too small for a daily driver. I had a smaller Tesla with an 85 kwh battery (77 kwh usable) and it could do the 200 mile range but you had to drive slowly. Driving the Taycan around at 60 mph on a motorway so you could get there would look ridiculous.

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In US, the bigger battery is mandatory for the 4S, if you want the place the order now. The smaller battery is only available after June 2020.

I agree that for daily use, the bigger battery isn't needed. But, I like to do one day trips that may push the mileage limits in the smaller battery, so the bigger battery gives me a piece of mind since I have small kids and I don't want screaming kids in the backseat if I'm already going to be stressing out whether the car can make it to the charging station.

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
UK based here as well. Really been in two minds about it. My dealer said it’s pretty essential especially for re-sale values - but for the small amount of additional miles I’m not convinced. Need to lock down in the next couple of days too. Decisions....

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
motor1.com estimates that the Taycan Turbo may not get more than about 200 real-world miles to a full charge. Perhaps the less-performance-oriented (and presumably lighter) 4S will see a range boost of 10 or 20%?

Penners

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery 5
Country flag
UK based here as well. Really been in two minds about it. My dealer said it’s pretty essential especially for re-sale values - but for the small amount of additional miles I’m not convinced. Need to lock down in the next couple of days too. Decisions....
My dealer (Leeds) said the exact opposite! He thought it was very expensive for the range increase and didn’t suggest anything about resale (he did say this about lots of other options people would expect on 2nd hand)

I think a lot of it boils down to how you use the car and what other vehicles you have access to in your household for longer journeys.......

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Ok so just locked down my spec :)

The dealer told me I would be mad not to get the battery plus pack, Sports Chrono pack, pan roof, passenger screen and swanky swipe battery cover - all these are a must have option due to them being on all promo cars it is the first thing people will look for on resale.

The nice to have to make the car very desirable are the blue headlights, nice wheels (although the one's I have gone with he said are nice enough too), and the driving aid packs.

Here is my spec :)

Jet Black Metallic
Black leather interior
Electric folding exterior mirrors
Side window trims in black (High-Gloss)
Deletion of Model Designation
Electric drive transmission
Porsche Electric Sport Sound
Performance Battery Plus
Sport Chrono Package
Power Steering Plus
20-Inch Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels
LED Matrix headlights in Glacier Ice blue inc. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrors
Panoramic roof, fixed glass
Windscreen with grey top-tint
Privacy glass
ParkAssist including Reversing Camera
Driver memory package
Ambient lighting
8-way electric seats (front)
Seat heating (front)
Heated steering wheel (i.c.w. Sport Chrono Package and Leather Interior)
Interior Accent package Neodyme
2+1 rear seat system
Passenger Display
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Powered charging port cover
150kW DC on-board booster
Mobile Charger Connect

Penners

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery 5
Country flag
I have to say I’m very sceptical about the dealer chat about how you must add certain extras as it’ll affect the resale valuation and is what buyers will be looking for - if you want the performance battery for the extra power / range then go for it irrespective of what the dealer tries to convince you of in terms of potential value down the line.

when you come to sell / trade in your 4s in 3 years the likelihood is there’ll be an even less powerful base model available......

also if you are planning to use PCP on the Taycan as a company car in an odd way a lower ultimate value of the car on “sale” reduces the value of the company car tax you will be liable for (=list price - “sale” price) so the re-sale value arguement for adding extras advocated by the stealers is not as clear cut as they would make out to you when you’re speccing it up.........

personally there are other extras I would rather spend that money on that I feel I will benefit more from during the 3 years I’m likely to own it

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Hmm that is a good point. What's stopping you selling the car to a mate for £20k lol?

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I’m in the same boat. I don’t want to spec the bigger battery but the dealer says it’s future proofing the car. It’s a lot for the relatively small extra range.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Tayc4n

Couple of comments on your build as I went through similar thought process.

I ditched sports chrono as you get sports mode and launch control as part of the included spec so you only get sports+ which includes battery management and clock etc - so performance wise not much benefit unless you are taking it on the track.

Passenger display - good if you have a passenger in the vehicle often but otherwise adds very little.

Glacier lights in blue - look nice but quite expensive for what they add.

Biggest downside to EV in peoples mind is range anxiety - I think the investment in the extra capacity will be worth the difference in 3+ years when selling and if the battery drops in charge amount over that time, the extra capacity means it will most likely never drop below the standard battery.

RE66ELl

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 4s
Country flag
Today was spec lock down day for my 4S order. So last minute decided to change my spec and go with the performance battery plus option, the std 19" wheels and drop the costly 21" e mission wheels (I so wanted). Rational behind this change was post delivery I could add a new set of larger wheels but am unable to change the battery power and range it offers. Being an electric car and a Porsche at that which I intend to enjoy and drive with pace, I should go with the option that gives me the max range currently available on a 4S.

Last edited:

Penners

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery 5
Country flag
Ok so just locked down my spec :)

The dealer told me I would be mad not to get the battery plus pack, Sports Chrono pack, pan roof, passenger screen and swanky swipe battery cover - all these are a must have option due to them being on all promo cars it is the first thing people will look for on resale.

The nice to have to make the car very desirable are the blue headlights, nice wheels (although the one's I have gone with he said are nice enough too), and the driving aid packs.

Here is my spec :)

Jet Black Metallic
Black leather interior
Electric folding exterior mirrors
Side window trims in black (High-Gloss)
Deletion of Model Designation
Electric drive transmission
Porsche Electric Sport Sound
Performance Battery Plus
Sport Chrono Package
Power Steering Plus
20-Inch Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels
LED Matrix headlights in Glacier Ice blue inc. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrors
Panoramic roof, fixed glass
Windscreen with grey top-tint
Privacy glass
ParkAssist including Reversing Camera
Driver memory package
Ambient lighting
8-way electric seats (front)
Seat heating (front)
Heated steering wheel (i.c.w. Sport Chrono Package and Leather Interior)
Interior Accent package Neodyme
2+1 rear seat system
Passenger Display
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Powered charging port cover
150kW DC on-board booster
Mobile Charger Connect
maybe consider comfort seats as it includes driver memory package plus 14 way adjustable seats (including fore aft head rest) electric adjustable steering column and kerb view parking cameras to protect those alloys!

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
maybe consider comfort seats as it includes driver memory package plus 14 way adjustable seats (including fore aft head rest) electric adjustable steering column and kerb view parking cameras to protect those alloys!
kerb view parking with the seats? I don’t see that listed anywhere? Can you please direct me to where you seen this?

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Tayc4n

Couple of comments on your build as I went through similar thought process.

I ditched sports chrono as you get sports mode and launch control as part of the included spec so you only get sports+ which includes battery management and clock etc - so performance wise not much benefit unless you are taking it on the track.

Passenger display - good if you have a passenger in the vehicle often but otherwise adds very little.

Glacier lights in blue - look nice but quite expensive for what they add.

Biggest downside to EV in peoples mind is range anxiety - I think the investment in the extra capacity will be worth the difference in 3+ years when selling and if the battery drops in charge amount over that time, the extra capacity means it will most likely never drop below the standard battery.
Every image of the Taycan everywhere along with youtube videos show the passenger screen. It’s a big selling point of the “new age tech and car”. Agree it may not be that useful but it certainly looks brilliant on or off (when it displays electronically Taycan). Two dealers have now told me I would be crazy to spec without it along with one very seasoned Porsche fanatic who has many Porsches. I think I’ll keep it :)
Sponsored