4S - Performance Battery Plus - Yes or No?

Will you get the performance battery plus on the 4S?

• Total voters

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
Each to their own views on the merits of specing the performance plus battery but I'm saving the money.
The weight saving of 80KG will help handling and I believe 2nd hand buyers will gladly save £4613 for the sake of losing 30 miles range.
Losing 30 miles range is one thing. But there is also a phenomenon called battery degradation. So the second hand car may have lost quite a bit more than 30 miles.
Sponsored

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Which applies to both battery versions.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Always take the bigger battery option if you can afford it. If you say you don't need it, you have not driven enough in electric vehicles - sooner or later you will be in a situation where you wished you had those extra miles. Just my $0.02 after 5 years in 3 electric cars.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Always take the bigger battery option if you can afford it. If you say you don't need it, you have not driven enough in electric vehicles - sooner or later you will be in a situation where you wished you had those extra miles. Just my $0.02 after 5 years in 3 electric cars.
i agrée 100%!! what ever your use case there will always be times where you really wished that your power reserve was much greater.......

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
Which applies to both battery versions.
It sure does, but the bigger battery can degrade quite a bit before it will be down to the capacity the smaller one starts out with. The bigger battery can actually degrade 15% before it's down to the capacity of a new standard battery.

Another thing is that with the bigger battery it will be a lot easier to keep the SOC in the sweet spot (20-80% charge) in order to minimize degradation.

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Wow so now 40 people have voted and it’s 85% Yes and 15% No!

Personally I am glad I have opted for the bigger battery!

:)

BliXem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
Always choose it. If I want a second hand Taycan, without it I won't buy it.

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Always choose it. If I want a second hand Taycan, without it I won't buy it.
And that is exactly what 4 dealers have told me too which is why I paid for it. I think car's without it will have a hard time selling later on,

BliXem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
And that is exactly what 4 dealers have told me too which is why I paid for it. I think car's without it will have a hard time selling later on,
I spoke a german seller, and he is telling me that his customers always buy the NON-performance battery...

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
I spoke a german seller, and he is telling me that his customers always buy the NON-performance battery...
There is MUCH less range anxiety in Germany as the amount of miles / km driven is much smaller. The average American drives 13,500 miles (21,600km) The average German driver drives 7500 miles (12,000km) per year, almost HALF of what an American drives. You probably can assume that daily commutes are much smaller than American counterparts. And it is similar in most European countries. As a result, you will see the total range of EVs in Europe is much smaller than what Americans expect, generally speaking. The Renault Zoe, one of Europe's best selling EVs has less than 190 mile (300km) range with a 52kwh battery.

Plus Germans are frugal (cheapskates).....:CWL::CWL::CWL:

BliXem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
There is MUCH less range anxiety in Germany as the amount of miles / km driven is much smaller. The average American drives 13,500 miles (21,600km) The average German driver drives 7500 miles (12,000km) per year, almost HALF of what an American drives. You probably can assume that daily commutes are much smaller than American counterparts. And it is similar in most European countries. As a result, you will see the total range of EVs in Europe is much smaller than what Americans expect, generally speaking. The Renault Zoe, one of Europe's best selling EVs has less than 190 mile (300km) range with a 52kwh battery.

Plus Germans are frugal (cheapskates).....:CWL::CWL::CWL:
Yeah I'm still in doubt too. Any idea what the EPA is already for the turbo (S)?

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
My dealer confirmed to me today that out of over 40 confirmed orders for the first run of 4S cars not a single one was without the Performance Battery Plus! My order is now locked in :)

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
OK. I've changed my order to include Performance Battery Plus. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Not that I will be leasing but the final thing that encouraged me to upgrade to the bigger battery was that Lease costs over 2 and 3 years in the UK are cheaper for the bigger battery than the regular battery. This must mean that the lease companies believe that a Performance Battery Plus car will be worth more used than the extra cost to upgrade new.

Porsche Taycan 4S - Performance Battery Plus - Yes or No? Screenshot_20191209-183430

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
OK. I've changed my order to include Performance Battery Plus. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Not that I will be leasing but the final thing that encouraged me to upgrade to the bigger battery was that Lease costs over 2 and 3 years in the UK are cheaper for the bigger battery than the regular battery. This must mean that the lease companies believe that a Performance Battery Plus car will be worth more used than the extra cost to upgrade new.

Screenshot_20191209-183430.jpg
I was looking at Business contract hire as works out a better deal due to being able to claim 50% of the vat and includes road fund license but was getting messed about when I wanted to order!

The problem seemed to be that they struggle to get the cars as the dealers don’t want leasing companies taking up the allocation! So couldn’t confirm the lead time
Started off April then mentioned October!
Also the excess mileage charge was horrific 40-60p was what most wanted
Found one that was 6p inc vat per mile but they were slow in coming back to me so lost confidence and just ordered from a main dealer
Sponsored