thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I set a new personal record yesterday in single day long distance driving in my Taycan - I did a Phoenix to Denver run in 15 hours and covered 855 miles, or 1368km. I left my hotel in the Kierland area of north Scottsdale at 5:40am and I drove to my house in central Denver, arriving at 9pm. The original plan was to stop in Santa Fe on the way home, but I made such good time that I just busted the entire drive out in a single day.

I have Thule bars on the CT4S to visually break up the roof line, and had my Pirelli winter tires but still was pretty efficient. All of the EA chargers I leveraged, except for Pueblo, CO worked great - three or four of them peaked at 264kW speeds. I spent 10 to 15 minutes at all the 7 chargers I stopped at along the way - I have to do more frequent stops since my faulty prostate does not work like it used to, so stopping to pee occurs more frequently these days.

I was able to enjoy a new route out of Phoenix and avoid a lot of the I-40 stretch to Albuquerque by taking the back roads from north Scottsdale to Payson to Show Low to Grants, NM. That stretch is all two lane roads in pretty amazingly scenic remote areas of Arizona and New Mexico with two fantastic EA chargers in Payson and Show Low. The momentum from covering this 400 mile stretch with little traffic, decent vehicle speeds, and fast charging speeds gave me the initial momentum to bust out the entire trip in one day. Rolling through Albuquerque in the early afternoon was super easy since there was no traffic headed in my direction, and no accidents on other I-40 or I-25.

On the start of the trip from Denver to Phoenix, I got a later start out of Denver and stopped in Gallup for the night before completing the trip into Phoenix. All of the chargers I used on the first leg worked great as well, except for Gallup, where only two of the 4 cabinets were functional. I had to wait 15 minutes for a charger, but that was not a big deal since I was in Gallup for the night.

Of all the chargers I stopped along the way on both legs of the drive I think I saw a moderate number of other EVs, so competition on the Denver to Phoenix route was minimal. If I tried to do this trip during a business Thanksgiving travel day or an extended weekend like Memorial or Labor Day, I probably would not have been so lucky. This is why I usually road trip on days where I know people are working, or not out on the highway.

The car worked great, so have to give a shout out to the Prestige Porsche repair guys in Denver who fixed my car after the road incident I had in August. And, have to give credit to Electrify America since I covered a lot of road distance in a short amount of time due to great charging locations and speeds that worked for the vast majority of my trip.

Porsche Taycan Phoenix to Denver in 15 hours - covered 855 miles/ 1,368km    no charging issues IMG_4165.HEIC
Sponsored

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What road incident?

I hit a protruding chunk of metal the popped out in a gap from where a bridge meets a road way on hwy 36 between Denver and Boulder. It sent me airborne and snapped my steering column. The car sustained significant under carriage damage - the whole front sink had to be replaced. Over all repair bill was nearly $30k. Luckily, there was no body or structural damage, but it still took almost six weeks to repair.

This trip to Arizona was my first big road trip after the repairs to the CT4S.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also plan roadtrips to avoid weekends, holidays, and other busy traffic days, but in the last year I have not seen the 200+kw charging rates that I got from EA sites on the same route before that.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also plan roadtrips to avoid weekends, holidays, and other busy traffic days, but in the last year I have not seen the 200+kw charging rates that I got from EA sites on the same route before that.

I guess all the stars aligned on my trip yesterday. I even got great charging speeds in Santa Fe, where I have historically gotten solid, but not great speeds. When I saw I was getting +250kW speeds I was pretty shocked.

Porsche Taycan Phoenix to Denver in 15 hours - covered 855 miles/ 1,368km    no charging issues IMG_4163.HEIC

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I hit a protruding chunk of metal the popped out in a gap from where a bridge meets a road way on hwy 36 between Denver and Boulder. It sent me airborne and snapped my steering column. The car sustained significant under carriage damage - the whole front sink had to be replaced. Over all repair bill was nearly $30k. Luckily, there was no body or structural damage, but it still took almost six weeks to repair.

This trip to Arizona was my first big road trip after the repairs to the CT4S.
Now I remember. Yikes! Good thing your battery wasn’t punctured.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Major FOMO re those charging speeds!
By contrast, I've given up on Taycan daytrips to VT or NH would require even the most minimal DCFC.
Recently took over half-an-hour just to initiate a charge at one of the 34 chargers in new networks being built out by VT state $. All of which are arrayed in stations of two 50kW chargers each.

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
Nice one. Were you sore the next day? I did 1200 miles in a single shot last year, different vehicle. Largely uneventful except I was pretty sore from sitting for so long.

Bay Area Ca/Az border and back in one shot. 18 hours.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice one. Were you sore the next day? I did 1200 miles in a single shot last year, different vehicle. Largely uneventful except I was pretty sore from sitting for so long.

Bay Area Ca/Az border and back in one shot. 18 hours.

I am definitely a little sore today.

I did get out every couple of hours to charge and pee, and used my massage seats, but my lower back certainly is feeling the affects.

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
That Show Low to Grants run is one of Arizona's best kept secrets. It's the only way I make the trek to Denver. Not surprised at the Gallup EA status. Of all my stops, that one seemed the most "dicey."

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
That average speed over that distance is insane, given the time stopped for charging. Does the trip meter still run when the car is off and charging? It seems I should know this, but we so rarely road trip.

B_TaycanTurbo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Great write up and information. I frequently drive those same areas and am glad to hear that new route through Payson and Show Low worked out. I've been watching the updates on those chargers coming on line and looking forward to using them soon.
Sponsored