bruksnys

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7, Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
No point spending 30%+ of the car's base price on options as you will not see that return on resale. Better to take the next model up and go lighter on the options. Some people however like to 'fully load'. Trade-in values are generally based on the base car list price (less VAT I assume) and then inflated with desirable options.
I think it depends on the options. Some beauty options definitely should be skipped on base cars, but I would never save money on safety options, on any model, as it's your and others LIFE that's on stake. One slip and you or others are gone... So if you drive on snow? Trade PTV+ and rear axle steering for bigger alloys for a better resale value? A Big no-no. Or if you drive at night, skipping matrix led's? Only the people who did not ever had them can do that. And I will never understand people who skip rear passenger air-bags, for some chalk colored seat belts, in a car that costs a 100k+, an option which costs few hundred. No matter you drive with or without passengers, as it can only take one drive to regret your whole life that you did not add them.

I also think that most new Porsche buyers, can let themselves drive what they want, not thinking about a residual value to much and enjoy their lives, and if its a resale value that worries a person to much, maybe he should not be driving a new Porsche, buy a used one instead or look at other brands. New cars depreciate a lot, especially luxury.
Sponsored

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
I think it depends on the options. Some beauty options definitely should be skipped on base cars, but I would never save money on safety options, on any model, as it's your and others LIFE that's on stake. One slip and you or others are gone... So if you drive on snow? Trade PTV+ and rear axle steering for bigger alloys for a better resale value? A Big no-no. Or if you drive at night, skipping matrix led's? Only the people who did not ever had them can do that. And I will never understand people who skip rear passenger air-bags, for some chalk colored seat belts, in a car that costs a 100k+, an option which costs few hundred. No matter you drive with or without passengers, as it can only take one drive to regret your whole life that you did not add them.

I also think that most new Porsche buyers, can let themselves drive what they want, not thinking about a residual value to much and enjoy their lives, and if its a resale value that worries a person to much, maybe he should not be driving a new Porsche, buy a used one instead or look at other brands. New cars depreciate a lot, especially luxury.
I think the extended options list is there for people to personalise their car to their own taste.

Customers should be able to expect that their £100k car is fully loaded with all relevant safety measures - these should not be extras.

For that matter, neither should fold-back mirrors, to name but one cheekily priced extra.

At trade-in time, I’d just like my car to look as if it’s worth what I think it is !

OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 4s (going); MY22 CT 4s (on order)
And I will never understand people who skip rear passenger air-bags, for some chalk colored seat belts, in a car that costs a 100k+, an option which costs few hundred.
I actually just raised a thread on this, for me a must, but some people say it is dangerous to people using child car seats. I can't find anything official from Porsche either way which is odd and annoying....

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Your answer, especially EQS part is completely unrelated. The question was about the build, for +- same price, the answer was to. In my opinion, on how I personally drive, and my personal preferences, CT4 with options is way better then CT4S without it. It will looks 100% exactly the same, it will drive better, it will be safer, and I'm pretty sure CT4, if driven by an ordinary person, who does not know how to properly handle understeer and oversteer, with rear wheel steering and PTV+ would win against plain 4s on the track with corners, and most roads in this world has them.
I probably didn't word it right. I was simply trying to say that different people may have different goals when choosing options. Some like better handling, some like more power for acceleration. I brought up the EQS only because you mentioned choosing a number of options for safer daily driving. As a side note, I'm sure you can find tracks (with corners) where stock CT4S will beat a CT4 with handling performance options, and tracks where the opposite is true. Nurburgring has corners for example, and yet a car which which most people will agree handles worse (no rear steering, no dynamic chassis control, a lot worse brakes, very similar in size and weight to a Taycan) but has a raw power advantage, managed to beat a Taycan Turbo around the track.

Last edited:

bruksnys

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7, Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I probably didn't word it right. I was simply trying to say that different people may have different goals when choosing options. Some like better handling, some like more power for acceleration. I brought up the EQS only because you mentioned choosing a number of options for safer daily driving. As a side note, I'm sure you can find tracks (with corners) where stock CT4S will beat a CT4 with handling performance options, and tracks where the opposite is true. Nurburgring has corners for example, and yet a car which which most people will agree handles worse (no rear steering, no dynamic chassis control, a lot worse brakes, very similar in size and weight to a Taycan) but has a raw power advantage, managed to beat a Taycan Turbo around the track.
Actually the Taycan beat Tesla, then the Tesla brought a Modified, not for sale version of Plaid, just for this purpose. Does not qualify as beating in my opinion :)

bruksnys

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7, Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I think the extended options list is there for people to personalise their car to their own taste.

Customers should be able to expect that their £100k car is fully loaded with all relevant safety measures - these should not be extras.

For that matter, neither should fold-back mirrors, to name but one cheekily priced extra.

At trade-in time, I’d just like my car to look as if it’s worth what I think it is !
Agree. Porsche knows how to make money from extras to dam well. I fell for an advertisement saying like "look, a Taycan Cross Turismo starts from 90k+", then I started to configure and found out that the base Taycan actually starts from 110k+, because they skipped many essential stuff, including safety ones, which should come as standard in 100k+ car.

BartA

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag
re the Ct4, I prefer the 4s for residuals (and also being the one I have the allocation for).I also think all the driving aids would be less important with less power?

I appreciate all comments, and more the merrier...keep them coming and thanks
One thing I would get from technical point of view is Lane Change Assist. I'm missing it on my Macan... It is a very useful thing driving around town. I'm not sure but I can imagine that Taycan is a long car and probably has a large blind spot. And driving Macan I often turn my head around to be 100% sure that there is nobody on my side.

Also +1 for the rear wheel steering. Will be a huge help with parking and also better steering during fast long turns on highway. I also didn't choose PDCC or PTV it's for really hardcore driving... base Taycan is very capable.

Things like sunroof, colours, heated seats are personal preference. I'm spec-ing my 4S CT right now very different in mamba green and with 14-way heated/cooled front seats and without sunroof.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually the Taycan beat Tesla, then the Tesla brought a Modified, not for sale version of Plaid, just for this purpose. Does not qualify as beating in my opinion :)
Check out the link I included. Elon claims it was all stock, and plenty of people went over the video of that lap to try to find what was modified. While Elon stretches the truth like a true stereotypical car salesman, if he says it was stock, it likely was. Whether or not the car needed service (new brakes perhaps) right after, well, Elon never said it didn't ;)

Last edited:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Agree. Porsche knows how to make money from extras to dam well. I fell for an advertisement saying like "look, a Taycan Cross Turismo starts from 90k+", then I started to configure and found out that the base Taycan actually starts from 110k+, because they skipped many essential stuff, including safety ones, which should come as standard in 100k+ car.
Agree... but you have to know that Porsche is not just a standard car :angel:

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
I couldn’t agree more !
Couldn't disagree more on the looks (personal choice of course). But also on road trips its likely I'll have things in the back that I actually value the privacy aspect of it. Especially when charging.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
They are quite expensive options, but I would also add;

full leather interior, it really has a huge impact on the feeling of luxury inside. Not only the dash, the doors etc to be covered in nice leather, but also the seats to be in a much nicer quality.
have the option checked at a PC ?

head up display, it is just so nice to have in the car. If you have had it once, it is hard to not have again - which is a good sign, try it!

keyless entry, again, just nice to have. In contrary to above, not super expensive either ?✌
Agree on leather though appreciate this is a build to a tight budget. Having HUD in my iPace I'd never have a car without it again, its licence saving in that 4.8s/62 vehicle, let alone in the faster Taycan options.

I'm not configuring comfort access, my car will primarily be left on road and I drive a lot around the country (will be a Tourer in the main). Way too many keyless thefts going on in the UK so wanting to remove as many potential enablers as possible.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Almost every deleted model designation is a 4S or lower – so when I see it, I think an owner that really kinda wishes they had the turbo.
An interesting assumption. I've always stripped badges off my cars, bottom, mid, or top range. For example, my Model S60 (least expensive Model S at the time) looked identical to my P85D which replaced it (most expensive at the time) - there was no way to tell from the outside which one was which. Right now I'm waiting for a Taycan CT Turbo, on which I am planning to strip the badges there too. Perhaps some people will assume it's a CT4, which won't bother me in the least btw.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
An interesting assumption. I've always stripped badges off my cars, bottom, mid, or top range. For example, my Model S60 (least expensive Model S at the time) looked identical to my P85D which replaced it (most expensive at the time) - there was no way to tell from the outside which one was which. Right now I'm waiting for a Taycan CT Turbo, on which I am planning to strip the badges there too. Perhaps some people will assume it's a CT4, which won't bother me in the least btw.
I seem to recall that, at least for the German prestige manufacturers many years ago, the trend for badge deletion started with owners not wanting to advertise their "fancier" variants, to avoid potential reaction in particular of employees to their managers' cars and of environmentalists to perceived fuel-guzzlers (of course, there's now the optional "electric" badge to address the latter issue).
I like the idea of a low-key Turbo, though when parked up the headrests still give the game away ?
Sponsored