How do you use regen modes?

• Total voters

gramorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I found auto regen a good way of accessing heavy regen before the brakes were bedded in and regen braking was on too
Sponsored

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Auto-regen is my favorite feature on this vehicle. Its like having an co-pilot.

Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
Auto Regen is great, I just wish I could set it to come on automatically. You can follow someone down a hill and never touch the brakes, as someone said a poor mans Auto Cruise Control. You have to be careful though as the brake lights do not come on, so it can catch others out who are behind you.

sufcrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 996 Turbo, 968, 951S, 931
Country flag
Auto Regen is great, I just wish I could set it to come on automatically.
If you have the drive mode dial on the steering wheel, the easiest I've found is to configure "Individual" mode to include Auto-regen. Every time I enter the car, I blindly turn the dial all way to the right and Auto-regen will stay turned on even when then changing to Sport (Plus) or even Range modes. (As opposed to turning it off on every mode change.)

You have to be careful though as the brake lights do not come on, so it can catch others out who are behind you.
Pretty sure they do come on at some g level. There are multiple forum threads on this topic as well.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
Can we assume you mean what the manual calls "overrun recuperation"?

AFAIK, there is always energy recaptured when you press the brake, so everybody always has "regen on" in a sense. If you're speaking of the setting that starts slowing the vehicle as soon as you release the accelerator, I much prefer "coasting" and will never enable that option.

I'm not a mechanical engineer or physicist by any stretch of the imagination, but I also suspect that your additional range is caused by other factors, simply because TAANSTAFL on energy recuperation.

Let's say we have two identical Taycans going the exact same speed with the exact same SoC right next to one another. We both lift off the accelerator at the same time. You have "overrun recuperation" on, and I don't. You come to a complete stop A meters later, and I stop at B meters. Hopefully it's indisputable that B > A.

The interesting question is how much energy it will take you to go from A to B, and I contend it's more than I used, for two reasons: inertia and waste in the powertrain system. By the time you have traveled the same distance as I have, I think you would have to use more energy to get there, if everything else is held equal.

I will now wait for the people who actually know what they're talking about to point at me and laugh.
Beware of suggesting‘Mechanical Engineers’ are experts - my mate is a MSc Mech engineer and is a right wing Luddite who appears to hate EVs!

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
Always off, but I occasionally select it on if I want to decelerate at a low rate without using the brake pedal...then off again once I use the brake pedal.

I don't even like having the throttle off recuperation on while in Sport Plus mode...I deselect it just after entering that mode.

Plan ahead....energy management is enjoyable to me.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I almost always drive in either Sport or Individual which is setup as Sport+ without the Sport Noise (I do use the noise when driving on rural roads at night to scare off animals). Both have recuperation ON, which I like, as I like to drive at a specific speeds +/- 1mph, and with coasting that requires using the brakes whenever going down-hill, even slight hills.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Beware of suggesting‘Mechanical Engineers’ are experts - my mate is a MSc Mech engineer and is a right wing Luddite who appears to hate EVs!
I am a Mechanical Engineer and I would say probably the majority I know are right wing and most of them love IC engines but not electric motors.
I remember the Electrical engineering lecturer at Imperial College telling us all the ways electric motors were superior to IC engines back in 1969 and being still uninterested until I drove a hybrid and found he was correct rather than biased.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Always off, but I occasionally select it on if I want to decelerate at a low rate without using the brake pedal...then off again once I use the brake pedal.

I don't even like having the throttle off recuperation on while in Sport Plus mode...I deselect it just after entering that mode.

Plan ahead....energy management is enjoyable to me.
Agree and do the same myself.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that requires using the brakes whenever going down-hill, even slight hills.
On mine looking at the power monitor it definitely recuperates a bit down hills whilst in "coast mode" I observed this when I noticed the car doesn't speed up as much as I expected down hills (we have plenty here).

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Agreed with @f1eng and @irrelevant - I generally use the coasting feature to eek out as much cruising range as possible. I will switch regen on manually if I go down a very steep hill, or simply apply the 'brakes' for a touch of regen.

I do like it on in Sports+ mode, but given UK roads, I don't seem to manage to get into that mode very much nowadays!

As stated: coasting mode does add a small amount of regen if it can
Sponsored