Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
One of the last options I am debating over and over again is weather to option the sports Chrono option. Taking aesthetics aside (I know some feel it spoils the look of the dash) I would be interested to see if not speccing it impacts on peoples decision on not changing driving modes as it’s not as convenient as just twisting the knob on the steering wheel.

Also interested to hear opinions on if people feel there is a marked difference between the different driving modes.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I put “never change” assuming changing it when I get in the car as an initial setting doesn’t count. Maybe that should be “change once”, but I really just see it as an initial setting on the car when I get in.

I basically just get in, press the sport button, and that’s it.

And I toggle overrun recup off/on as needed. Detailed in other threads.

There’s definitely a difference between normal and sport, especially in the (roughly?) 40-60mph range, in my opinion.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I change modes a lot. It is one of my favorite things in the car. I set it to normal on rough roads, when I am in traffic or when clearance is limited. I use sport / sport+ for curvy roads and when I need to do more passing. It really changes the personality of the car.

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
I change modes a lot. It is one of my favorite things in the car. I set it to normal on rough roads, when I am in traffic or when clearance is limited. I use sport / sport+ for curvy roads and when I need to do more passing. It really changes the personality of the car.
Agree, I’d say it’s my most used option. I change all the time. Adds to the driving experience.

OP
OP

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Thanks for the response everyone, it’s made my mind up to option sports chrono. In Porsche terms it’s a relatively low cost option and one I know I’ll always think about what I may have missed if I do not spec it.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Looking at the answers, it seems that you will probably only change the mode if you have sport chrono. This could be because the only people who change drive modes will spec it - but more likely is that a button on the centre console is a nuisance when you are driving. I have it and use it although not as frequently as some. My old Macan had a sport button and after a while, I rarely used it because I had to look down to see it and it was too much of a fiddle. So if you want to be able to change the mode then get it. Very useful I find if coming up to a roundabout where I might need more acceleration than normal mode gives and it avoids the sudden punch as it changes down to the lower ratio on the rear when you are accelerating.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
I skipped Sport Chrono but still have the Sport shortcut soft key in the central console. I pressed it when the car was new and I wanted to enjoy Launch Control... but nowadays in regular driving I just leave it in Normal.

Dr.Ericthedrill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Audi RS3, Nissan Serena
Country flag
Opted for Sport Chrono.
Rarely use it. Normal mode seem to do just fine for me.
I live in a city where its mountainous with rather narrow roads.
The Taycan is a very wide car. The next widest car I have had was a DIablo.
My Audi RS 3 was perhaps my most chuckable car, loved it baiting supercars in the twisties and I don't buy the car reviewers point of it being boring... listen to me for
amateurs like me who loves cars but do not have Shumacher levels of skill the RS3 make me feel like a hero.
I had used Sport + on my Taycan for some drives and I can feel how it leans less in turns with a sharper throttle response.
But honestly our roads are not very even and flat with a hell of a lot of manhole covers so normal mode rides more comfortably.
I have had my car since Xmas and I have not even set up my individual mode.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I use it regularly because it's easy with the Sports Chrono to just throw it into Sport or Sport Plus when road opens up and flick it back to Normal when you get into a crowd. As it is so easy, I use it even if it's for a short opportunity, I would imagine I would switch modes less if it was more of a PIA (including the soft button).

I haven't got enough miles under my belt yet to configure individual and what options I would put into that.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
interesting responses run the gamut. I don't change mine at all, I really don't see much diff in my RWD version, but I do have the sport suspension feature always on. I think this comes down to how you drive and what you seek from the experience. I don't see much point in playing with this during the drive. The drive is the drive. Some new drivers probably just enjoy playing with the feature. For me, its enough to drive in ANY mode, and since Normal is the default, I'm fine with it.

I had a similar feature in my 911S which I used only when my kids were in the car as they enjoyed it. We called it "butt dragging" b/c it felt like we were literally being dragged at his speed on the highway and could feel the concrete under our butt.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
I had a similar feature in my 911S which I used only when my kids were in the car as they enjoyed it.
My kids always asked for "rocket ship noises" (electric sport sound) in the first month of ownership. I loved it too, especially in pedestrian-heavy areas.

Since my last service (they reflashed all modules in an attempt to cure the alarm bug) my external sport sound seems to be permanently on, so I no longer use it.
Sponsored