First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S and 992 C2S Coupe
Country flag
Hi all,

My Taycan RWD is scheduled for April arrival (allegedly). In an attempt to be organised, I'm on with planning to order a charging point for home (single phase). I'm considering the usual suspects and more than likely will go for either the Andersen, Hypervolt or Simpson. Sorry if I have overlooked this elsewhere on the forum, but I am curious to know if you guys always elect to use the app as per brand that ships with the charger, or is there a preference to use the charging point as a 'slave' only and therefore elect to use the Porsche app from your phone/tablet? My (brand) preference is to use the Porsche app (but I stand to be corrected if somehow the Porsche app is deemed to be 'weaker' than the app that would ship with say the Andersen hardware).

Does the Porsche PCM allow charging to be set from within the car itself, and if so does this work in conjunction with say an Andersen app? Or, if you elect to use the Andersen app, is the cars own PCM functionality in terms of setting up say a charge schedule then obsolete?

All guidance welcomed.

Cheers Ed
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
OP
OP
Edwos

Edwos

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charging-error.4466/#post-61738

let the car manage the charging - "smart" EVSE (the external box) will only argue with the vehicle - the external charging cord/device/box is simply a glorified on/off switch - the car does all the heavy lifting of controlling the charging.
Thanks for the reply. Safe to assume therefore that all the usual suspects (Andersen, Simpson) allow their hardware to be 'run' by third party apps offered by the Taycan?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. Safe to assume therefore that all the usual suspects (Andersen, Simpson) allow their hardware to be 'run' by third party apps offered by the Taycan?
You just need to let the EVSE sit there in dumb and on mode. Then the car will take juice when it wants/needs it according to what you've set in your profile/timers etc.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'm not an expert on any thing outside North America -but yeah - mostly EV chargers are _NOT_ chargers - they are gloried extension cords - the car controls the charging process - so you just make sure the Ev charger (EVSE) is "on/ready" and the car will start/stop the charging based on it's needs/wants/desires/schedule/timers/profiles…the EVSE just needs to be reach to provide power when requested.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I think you're approaching this in the wrong way.

1. The car controls the charging session either via the PCM or via the My Porsche App (same settings). Same for any EV.

2. The wall box (any) is not a charger. The charger is physically in the car for both AC and DC charging.

3. Standard EVSE (Electric Vehicle Structured Equipment - wall box / portable unit) supplied with the car is perfectly suited to wall mounting for home charging on single phase 32A fused supply (7.4kW).

4. Suggest that if you use a 3rd party EVSE then don't use any of the features or programming and essentially run in "dumb" mode. In time you can experiment but for a painless experience only programme via the PCM or My Porsche App. Don't mix and match.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I'm on with planning to order a charging point for home (single phase).
My two cents:

- figure out how fast you need to charge at home. For example, for home use you can often get away with lower power charging which is normally 220v - 240v at 20 to 40 amps.
20 amps (4.8 kw) gets you a full 85% charge in about 18 hours
30 amps (7.2 kw) gets you a full 85% charge in about 12 hours
40 amps (9.6kw) gets you a full 85% charge in about 9 hours
These charging rates are available with the standard on-board 9.6kw AC-charger built into the Taycan.
Faster home charging is available with the optional 19.2 kW On-Board Charger:
60 amps (14.4 kw) gets you a full 85% charge in about 6 hours
80 amps (19.2 kw) gets you a full 85% charge in about 4.5 hours
As an example, I use a 40amp 240v EVSE (9.6kw). I drive about 200 miles a week and I charge once a week overnight (I plug in at 7pm and am ready to go at 9am the next morning). This works great for me. But everyone has different driving patterns so you need to consider how often you will need to charge and for how long.

- figure out how and where your EVSE will be located and then contact an electrician to get an estimate on how much it will cost to run a line for your EVSE. I always suggest to friends that they run a larger cable to the EVSE to allow for faster or multiple EV charging in the future. For example, though I could have run 8 gauge wire to my 40amp max EVSE, I ran 6 gauge which gives me about 75 amps of charging capacity. I don't need it now but I might in the future. Running new electric cables is expensive and messy (think holes in walls, plaster and paint).

- in some cases, where you can't initially run a new electric line, you might be able to use an existing lower powered wall outlet for your EVSE. I have had friends who bought Tesla's in North America and used 120v, 15amp charging for a period of time before they had an electrician upgrade their EVSE service. While the charging speed is slow, it might work if you don't drive too many miles per day. Overnight charging at 240v at 15 amps (basic power in the UK) will give you around 40% charge replenishment in 12 hours (over night).
The nice thing is that the EVSE can be 'dialed back' for lower power but you can 'dial them up' when you have a new higher power line.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My two cents:

- figure out how fast you need to charge at home. For example, for home use you can often get away with lower power charging which is normally 220v - 240v at 20 to 40 amps.
20 amps (4.8 kw) gets you a full 85% charge in about 18 hours
30 amps (7.2 kw) gets you a full 85% charge in about 12 hours
40 amps (9.6kw) gets you a full 85% charge in about 9 hours
These charging rates are available with the standard on-board 9.6kw AC-charger built into the Taycan.
Faster home charging is available with the optional 19.2 kW On-Board Charger:
60 amps (14.4 kw) gets you a full 85% charge in about 6 hours
80 amps (19.2 kw) gets you a full 85% charge in about 4.5 hours
As an example, I use a 40amp 240v EVSE (9.6kw). I drive about 200 miles a week and I charge once a week overnight (I plug in at 7pm and am ready to go at 9am the next morning). This works great for me. But everyone has different driving patterns so you need to consider how often you will need to charge and for how long.

- figure out how and where your EVSE will be located and then contact an electrician to get an estimate on how much it will cost to run a line for your EVSE. I always suggest to friends that they run a larger cable to the EVSE to allow for faster or multiple EV charging in the future. For example, though I could have run 8 gauge wire to my 40amp max EVSE, I ran 6 gauge which gives me about 75 amps of charging capacity. I don't need it now but I might in the future. Running new electric cables is expensive and messy (think holes in walls, plaster and paint).

- in some cases, where you can't initially run a new electric line, you might be able to use an existing lower powered wall outlet for your EVSE. I have had friends who bought Tesla's in North America and used 120v, 15amp charging for a period of time before they had an electrician upgrade their EVSE service. While the charging speed is slow, it might work if you don't drive too many miles per day. Overnight charging at 240v at 15 amps (basic power in the UK) will give you around 40% charge replenishment in 12 hours (over night).
The nice thing is that the EVSE can be 'dialed back' for lower power but you can 'dial them up' when you have a new higher power line.
For UK 32A is the sensible option for home charging. Anything higher will require 3 phase supply (££££).and OTT. Standard onboard AC charger is 11kW.

OP
OP
Edwos

Edwos

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you're approaching this in the wrong way.

1. The car controls the charging session either via the PCM or via the My Porsche App (same settings). Same for any EV.

2. The wall box (any) is not a charger. The charger is physically in the car for both AC and DC charging.

3. Standard EVSE (Electric Vehicle Structured Equipment - wall box / portable unit) supplied with the car is perfectly suited to wall mounting for home charging on single phase 32A fused supply (7.4kW).

4. Suggest that if you use a 3rd party EVSE then don't use any of the features or programming and essentially run in "dumb" mode. In time you can experiment but for a painless experience only programme via the PCM or My Porsche App. Don't mix and match.
Thanks guys. So, point 3 made above, I can save myself £1500 on the Andersen and happily use the supplied PMC+ and get it fixed inside my garage (noting not weatherproof for outdoor use). Makes sense to keep it simple and take this option... Single phase is sufficient for my needs, I wont need the three phase option installing by an electrician.

OP
OP
Edwos

Edwos

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Therefore I guess I simply need an electrician to install the relevant power feed and socket at home and I'm all set to go...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks guys. So, point 3 made above, I can save myself £1500 on the Andersen and happily use the supplied PMC+ and get it fixed inside my garage (noting not weatherproof for outdoor use). Makes sense to keep it simple and take this option... Single phase is sufficient for my needs, I wont need the three phase option installing by an electrician.
PMC+ and PMCC are IP55 rated and can be installed outside - personally I wouldn't but are sufficiently weatherproof.

Make sure you have the wall mounting kit - not sure what is bundled.

Your electrician must install a dedicated 32A fused run from your main fuse board.

OP
OP
Edwos

Edwos

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Noted, thank you W1NGE..! (And I can now see that the mounting kits are out of stock in the UK..!) :rolleyes:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Noted, thank you W1NGE..! (And I can now see that the mounting kits are out of stock in the UK..!) :rolleyes:
I'm sure you can rig something temporarily but check what comes with the unit - not clear if the basic kit is included (I have the PMCC)

Porsche Taycan Porsche charging app (or alternatives?) 20230104_091306

Porsche Taycan Porsche charging app (or alternatives?) Screenshot_20230104-091936_OneDrive

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
You don't get the wall plinth for the PMCC as standard, well not in France. This is an accessory option. I have it on order.
Sponsored