Porsche Connect Update!

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
Interesting because I just found the same unit on the Amazon UK site. However they will not ship outside of UK? Will continue to look for that.
The ones on Amazon UK are all shipped from China and are V1 as far as I know.
Sponsored

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag

I now also understand that wireless CarPlay has some challenges to be implemented, both HW and SW!
https://www.cars.com/articles/wireless-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-where-are-they-now-407297/

Seems also to involve Bluetooth, WiFi, and potential interference with GPS ?

If Porsche can not even get the log in for car and MyPorsche sorted out at delivery, what hope have we got to get Apple CarPlay sorted? Between Slim and None. And Slim just moved out of town last week!
That link is interesting and it looks like a mess. The last thing I need is more lag and stuttering software. If that's where wireless CarPlay is at then plugging in a USB cable isn't that bad.

It's a little irritating that I have to open the center console every time I get in and out of the car. But I will take that over dropped CarPlay connections.

Last edited:

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just another voice to the disappointment with the PCM interface. Ironically I found this thread while looking for any input on using Apple Music. I was hoping that it was native on the car since wireless carplay appears to be vaporware that Porsche won't comment on any longer (or so my dealer says). Sadly, I just get a screen that says "select a song from the list" but no list is present and everything has been linked, unlinked, and linked again multiple times. Sure, I can pull my phone out and use that with bluetooth but the whole point of these wireless and/or native options is so we don't have to do that. Feels like another wireless carplay feature at this point.

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just another voice to the disappointment with the PCM interface. Ironically I found this thread while looking for any input on using Apple Music. I was hoping that it was native on the car since wireless carplay appears to be vaporware that Porsche won't comment on any longer (or so my dealer says). Sadly, I just get a screen that says "select a song from the list" but no list is present and everything has been linked, unlinked, and linked again multiple times. Sure, I can pull my phone out and use that with bluetooth but the whole point of these wireless and/or native options is so we don't have to do that. Feels like another wireless carplay feature at this point.
I had a similar issue but after a 2 hour drive it eventually synced my library and started working. There were no messages that sync was in progress. It just suddenly worked.

The integrates apple music experience isn't great though and you are better of plugging in a USB cable and using apple CarPlay.

Johnc33458

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Add this: i lost my calendar and all of my favorite destinations i labored to place on my Taycan Turbo. Support says they have no idea. Have to load again!!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Add this: i lost my calendar and all of my favorite destinations i labored to place on my Taycan Turbo. Support says they have no idea. Have to load again!!
For the calendar, I have to have the phone connected to the car to be able to see it. Once the phone is out of the car it is blank again. I have an IPhone and Apple Calendar is not listed in the car so far. Maybe you have other calendars that the car can communicate with?

Johnc33458

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
For the calendar, I have to have the phone connected to the car to be able to see it. Once the phone is out of the car it is blank again. I have an IPhone and Apple Calendar is not listed in the car so far. Maybe you have other calendars that the car can communicate with?
I once had the calendar synch while car was on, but now takes me back to where i began. Thanks again.

OP
OP

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
Apple Music is very spotty. It works about 50% of the time.
I am more worried about the safety issues - back up camera and navigation bugs.
Hoping they fix it soon.

Fire34609

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Range Rover TD6 HSE, 2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Does or can anyone post a picture of their backup camera? Having difficulty understanding issue.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...I like the fact I don’t have to take the phone out of my pocket when I get in the car, but for greater consistency and performance, I’m OK with plugging it in. For a while at least...
As convenient as it is, I would never want a super active antenna right next to my body at the same place for a long time over and over again. That is a fast trip to your oncologist.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
As convenient as it is, I would never want a super active antenna right next to my body at the same place for a long time over and over again. That is a fast trip to your oncologist.
The frequency range used by phones is way below the ionizing radiation frequency. It's longer wavelength than light even. The most cell radio waves could do is locally warm up some tissue if you managed to get a super-high power source right next to something. You could jam your phone up your bum while it has all the radios going at max usage and it wouldn't do a thing to you. (Except maybe make you happy if you like that sort of thing)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The frequency range used by phones is way below the ionizing radiation frequency. It's longer wavelength than light even. The most cell radio waves could do is locally warm up some tissue if you managed to get a super-high power source right next to something. You could jam your phone up your bum while it has all the radios going at max usage and it wouldn't do a thing to you. (Except maybe make you happy if you like that sort of thing)
Well: "Lloyds of London insurers excluded health damage caused by electromagnetic radiation whilst Swiss Re recommended to other insurers to write in exclusion clauses to prevent compensation for radiofrequency radiation (RFR) exposure." (2007, 5G, 2019)

Sorry, did not want to side track the thread! I also would like to see a proper picture of the backup camera...:)

Last edited:

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well: "Lloyds of London insurers excluded health damage caused by electromagnetic radiation whilst Swiss Re recommended to other insurers to write in exclusion clauses to prevent compensation for radiofrequency radiation (RFR) exposure." (2007, 5G, 2019)
You can get insurance to cover alien abductions. I don't think the fact that something is being insured in any way legitimizes what's being insured.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Fringe science aside, I too would like to see the back up camera in action. My guess is it’s just a fish eye view that people don’t like coupled with insufficient screen real estate. If Musk owned Porsche the back up camera would take over the whole center instrument panel for a panoramic view.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Fringe science aside, I too would like to see the back up camera in action. My guess is it’s just a fish eye view that people don’t like coupled with insufficient screen real estate. If Musk owned Porsche the back up camera would take over the whole center instrument panel for a panoramic view.
The default rear view is fisheye. You can manually choose a particular camera/view to see it differently. If you select the rear camera the image is much less fisheye. The fisheye does come in handy when backing out from a parking spot when your view Is blocked from a larger vehicle parked next to you.

The front surround view camera comes in handy when it senses an object in front. It turns on automatically. It helps when I park in my garage to see how far I am from the wall.
Sponsored