ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Had BlackVue's for over 8 years in my M4 etc and very happy with them - so not a comparison just sharing some comments re my current cam the FitCamX.

I'd argue the FitCamX and not the Blackvue is by far the most OEM looking install you can do - has even fooled the Techs in Porsche :)

I have WiFi in my garage and can also download and access all content on the cam if desired but of course can also simply pop the card and load on a desktop etc.

Recently had the camera active the entire 6 weeks (yes 6!) the car was at the shop and it recorded every day seamlessly (with any activity and motion on and around the car) - have to say that this shop too were entirely unaware it was even there!

I have not installed the FitCamX rear camera and for many a dual system is a must but it is also an option with FitCamX (although suspect the BlackVue options here might be better). The super clean and super easy install of the FitCamX another big win for me - zero wires to hide and the auto shut off works perfectly. Again, just to emphasize, cameras was on and off every day for 6 weeks at my shop and zero impact on the 12V battery system.

Really good alternative if not wanting the complexity of hidden wiring, taps and fuse box links (and despite some inexperienced user issues it is truly simple to install).
Sponsored

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Had BlackVue's for over 8 years in my M4 etc and very happy with them - so not a comparison just sharing some comments re my current cam the FitCamX.

I'd argue the FitCamX and not the Blackvue is by far the most OEM looking install you can do - has even fooled the Techs in Porsche :)

I have WiFi in my garage and can also download and access all content on the cam if desired but of course can also simply pop the card and load on a desktop etc.

Recently had the camera active the entire 6 weeks (yes 6!) the car was at the shop and it recorded every day seamlessly (with any activity and motion on and around the car) - have to say that this shop too were entirely unaware it was even there!

I have not installed the FitCamX rear camera and for many a dual system is a must but it is also an option with FitCamX (although suspect the BlackVue options here might be better). The super clean and super easy install of the FitCamX another big win for me - zero wires to hide and the auto shut off works perfectly. Again, just to emphasize, cameras was on and off every day for 6 weeks at my shop and zero impact on the 12V battery system.

Really good alternative if not wanting the complexity of hidden wiring, taps and fuse box links (and despite some inexperienced user issues it is truly simple to install).
I can attest to the simplicity of the FitCamX install on a vehicle. I installed one on my Toyota Tacoma hobby truck. It took me about 15 minutes to install. It is also a very inexpensive option.

However, with one word of caution, the truck lives outside and the camera fell off on a particularly hot day. The casing seems thicker than the OEM cover it replaced but is apparently more susceptible to heat. I'll likely replace it with a single camera BlackVue.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can attest to the simplicity of the FitCamX install on a vehicle. I installed one on my Toyota Tacoma hobby truck. It took me about 15 minutes to install. It is also a very inexpensive option.

However, with one word of caution, the truck lives outside and the camera fell off on a particularly hot day. The casing seems thicker than the OEM cover it replaced but is apparently more susceptible to heat. I'll likely replace it with a single camera BlackVue.
Well I can near guarantee the design for the Porsche will def not fall off :)! That thing is seriously locked in there once installed (and casing identical to OEM plastic all round esp when you compare to the OEM mirror wrapping piece it replaces) - so maybe an improved design (and of course we get serious heat here too).

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

I have a dual FitcamX on the way to my house right now so I’ll be sharing my installation and usage experiences when I decide to take that plunge.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I have a dual FitcamX on the way to my house right now so I’ll be sharing my installation and usage experiences when I decide to take that plunge.
Look forward to hearing your experience. Especially routing the cable to the rear cam. I've done quite a few installs of the Mini 0906 in my BMW X5s and getting the rear cable through the rubber sleeve and into the rear hatch is always the hardest bit. In the BMW I have always wired to the front fuse box and used piggy back fuse connectors. I rarely use parking mode so the simplicity of the Y cable appeals.

I assume if you are using the Y cable you don't use parking mode?

Glassdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have to say this FitCamX is one of the best looking and integrated cameras. The only thing that puts me off is the potential impact on warranty - has anyone had any issues? Also the fact that it doesn’t record when parked. I have paranoia parking and would love a camera to record whilst I am parked up. As a result I may go for the porsche camera - I still can’t believe that a third party has a better looking and better integrated solution then porsche. Or does anyone know if there is a way to set the FixCamX to record when parked? You‘d think in today’s world manufacturers would inlude a micro usb by the wing mirror to aide installation of dash cam options.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I have to say this FitCamX is one of the best looking and integrated cameras. The only thing that puts me off is the potential impact on warranty - has anyone had any issues? Also the fact that it doesn’t record when parked. I have paranoia parking and would love a camera to record whilst I am parked up. As a result I may go for the porsche camera - I still can’t believe that a third party has a better looking and better integrated solution then porsche. Or does anyone know if there is a way to set the FixCamX to record when parked? You‘d think in today’s world manufacturers would inlude a micro usb by the wing mirror to aide installation of dash cam options.
See their website here https://fitcamx.com/collections/porsche/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-porsche?variant=41130386227372

Scroll to the bottom of the page and it says contact them for a hardwire cable for parking mode

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The dual Fitcam requires the hardwire kit which should enable parking mode recording. I ordered one and it’s still in shipping.

Glassdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
The dual Fitcam requires the hardwire kit which should enable parking mode recording. I ordered one and it’s still in shipping.
Thanks for letting me know. I assume that means hardwiring to the fuse box? Or is there a permanent power near the mirror. I can’t believe that car companies aren’t making it easier for themselves and for customer security in this day and age.

do let me know how you get on. I am keen to add this but there are too many options / compromises installing, I definitely don’t want to cause issues with the car or have the warranty invalidated.

Glassdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
I'm having it installed on the 14th of this month by a shop I've used in the past. I've already had them install the BlackVue DR900X-2CH Plus in my wife's Acura. It is hardwired into the fuse box. It will record parking events (something hits the car, window broken, etc) and you can set the sensitivity.

There are three wires for the hardwire installation: GND, ACC, and BATT. The ACC goes to a fuse that is only powered when the car is on, and the BATT wire goes to a fuse that always has power. The unit monitors the battery level and will shut off if the voltage drops too low when in parking mode. Alternatively, you can buy a battery to power the unit in parking mode.

I'll post some pictures in this thread once it is installed.
amazing. That would be great. I’d happily buy the battery but again I think that needs to be powered via the fuse box

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My dealer installed the new Porsche Dashcam [more info] in my Taycan 4s. Here is an overview of the entire process and costs>

1. Took two weeks to receive the dashcam from Germany. The Porsche dealer said the retail price they charge is $650. SuncoastParts.com sells the same dashcam for $475. I got my dealer to drop the price to $500.

2. The dashcam comes without english instructions. The manual is in German. The Taycan mechanic who did the installation told me the install is the same for most Porches regardless if gas or electric. It has to be hardwired to the fuse box under the drivers side of the Taycan and a neutral wire also needs to be installed. It is a difficult job because of all the modules in that area. It took the mechanic 7 hours to install. The Porsche Instructions call for the dashcam to be mounted on the left side (drivers side for usa) of the mirror. However this is wrong for USA cars since in Europe cars have driver side on the right. When mounted per Porsche instructions on the drivers side ,the view when driving is partially blocked by the dashcam. I pointed this out and had them move the camera to the right of the mirror where it is completely hidden.

3. The set up for the application on your phone is simple. The dashcam has its own wifi and password. Open phone settings/wifi connect to Porsche dasham and enter the password. Once you open the application you set your preferences regarding recordings/ driving/ parking/ shock etc. Also there is a section of the application called recorded events where you can view the recordings.

4. The camera is very good, the phone application is good, however the overall price is a lot. Your looking at about $2200 total. It has to be installed by Porsche in order to not void portions of the warranty.

IMG_5848.jpeg

IMG_5847.PNG
Mainland Europe they drive on the left (!) and in UK / Ireland on the right so logically the instructions are correct.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thats weird as mine most def records whilst parked. Have literally hours of vids when a tech at the shop either woke it up by opening the hood or from just walking gin front of the car - also times in the home garage where it records some sort of movement when I was no where near it ... I will triple check that this is the case when I get home in a week plus but again near certain mine does record when parked.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for letting me know. I assume that means hardwiring to the fuse box? Or is there a permanent power near the mirror. I can’t believe that car companies aren’t making it easier for themselves and for customer security in this day and age.

do let me know how you get on. I am keen to add this but there are too many options / compromises installing, I definitely don’t want to cause issues with the car or have the warranty invalidated.
Correct, it gets hardwired via the fuse box. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag

Attachments

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
I have to say this FitCamX is one of the best looking and integrated cameras. The only thing that puts me off is the potential impact on warranty - has anyone had any issues?....
No but my local service advisors are trying to tell me it's causing keyless entry issues (despite the entire length of cable being wrapped in ferrite tape). I've debunked their claims and plan on continuing to do their work for them when I bring it in next time but the likelihood that it's causing the issue is slim to none.
Sponsored