"Porsche recalls thousands of Taycans over faulty batteries" - Article

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
German sports carmaker Porsche on Thursday confirmed it had recalled several thousand of its electric Taycan model because of risks their batteries could catch fire.

Faulty cells in some batteries could short-circuit and ignite, a spokesperson said.

Some 858 Taycans were initially identified as being at risk and recalled in January, but after further checks the company determined that further vehicles could also be affected.

Porsche said 2,936 of the sporty four-door cars showed "anomalies", which requires changing the modules on the 600-kilogram (1,300-pound) batteries housed under the car.

Another 4,522 Taycans have not been inspected and must be brought to repair shops for verification.

Renault, Ford and General Motors have all recently had to recall models due to defective batteries.

The cells for the Taycan's batteries are manufactured by Korea's LG, while the batteries themselves are assembled in Germany before being inserted into the cars at Porsche's Zuffenhausen factory.

https://www.barrons.com/news/porsch...lty-batteries-492d8978?refsec=topics_afp-news
Sponsored

Kaan34

First Name
Kaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
German sports carmaker Porsche on Thursday confirmed it had recalled several thousand of its electric Taycan model because of risks their batteries could catch fire.

Faulty cells in some batteries could short-circuit and ignite, a spokesperson said.

Some 858 Taycans were initially identified as being at risk and recalled in January, but after further checks the company determined that further vehicles could also be affected.

Porsche said 2,936 of the sporty four-door cars showed "anomalies", which requires changing the modules on the 600-kilogram (1,300-pound) batteries housed under the car.

Another 4,522 Taycans have not been inspected and must be brought to repair shops for verification.

Renault, Ford and General Motors have all recently had to recall models due to defective batteries.

The cells for the Taycan's batteries are manufactured by Korea's LG, while the batteries themselves are assembled in Germany before being inserted into the cars at Porsche's Zuffenhausen factory.

https://www.barrons.com/news/porsch...lty-batteries-492d8978?refsec=topics_afp-news
This is really big news🙄🙄

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
I can’t tell if this is just the old recalls or something new? In any case, I can’t believe OEMs continue to use LG cells when five OEMs using them are all reporting the same issue.

shawn

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Model Y
Country flag
Good thing the Macan EV will use CATL. What does the refreshed Taycan use?

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
I’m caught in the LP vortex. HV Battery replaced in September ‘23 on my 2020 4S Performance and after recently replacing the heater under that recall, campaign ARA4 showed up. No way from PNA to find if the serial number of the new battery is after the July, '23 date, so I'll have to bring it in when Porsche updates the dealers. 80% maximum charge until then per ARA4.

Gino

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster & 2021 Taycan
Country flag

Looks like it's not getting better in terms of the number of Taycan's which will need their batteries replaced. I will be careful not to charge above 80-85% when my car is in the garage so I don't inadvertently burn down my garage/house. I will only charge to 100% on the infrequent long trips from Newport Beach to Las Vegas where the car will be safely out of my garage. If it goes up in flames then I only have to get Porsche to replace it rather than lose all my belongings and my home which will be a nightmare to replace.
I just hope LG gets their batteries right on the second try... Not sure if this guarantees my 2021 Taycan delivered in Jan of 2022 will require its main battery to be replaced. If not, then I will be worrying about the battery until the end of the 8 year warranty.

Gino

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster & 2021 Taycan
Country flag

I do hope Porsche gets this resolved soon since I would have likely chosen a different EV if I knew that it was dangerous to charge to full battery capacity and instead only charge to 80% to be safe. The range is already not very good but dropping the range by 20% to start is not a good look for Porsche in their first EV.
I do have confidence Porsche will eventually use the top notch engineering to navigate out of this issue to the high standards Porsche owners/enthusiasts have come to expect over many decades.
We'll just have to wait and see...

Dave Birch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s cross turismo
Country flag
Do we trust the Porsche recalls page when checking for recalls on our cars if it says no recalls?

bwherry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS ST, '22 BMW iX xDrive50
Country flag
Now I'm wondering if I should wait on the HV heater recall service (currently scheduled for next week) if my car might need this recall as well... Cabin heating in the summer in SoCal shouldn't be that big of an issue haha.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Just got back from my recall appointment. They stated that all the cells are good but the cell control module will still need replaced at an unknown date.

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just got back from my recall appointment. They stated that all the cells are good but the cell control module will still need replaced at an unknown date.
Interesting.
The module might be the battery control module on the e-box, shown on this post.
I believe that module was replaced on @Scandinavian 's Taycan.
Not many reports on the forum of that being replaced so far.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Interesting.
The module might be the battery control module on the e-box, shown on this post.
I believe that module was replaced on @Scandinavian 's Taycan.
Not many reports on the forum of that being replaced so far.
well my HV battery control module was replaced and might be the same as discussed here. And from what I understand that still is a battery out operation to replace it. Hope you have the car within warranty or an extended warranty on it, since that is not covered by the Battery Warranty, as I have been informed.

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
well my HV battery control module was replaced and might be the same as discussed here. And from what I understand that still is a battery out operation to replace it. Hope you have the car within warranty or an extended warranty on it, since that is not covered by the Battery Warranty, as I have been informed.
I'd be surprised if "battery control module", mounted in e-box, which is mounted as part of the Taycan HV battery assembly, is not covered by Porsche battery warranty.
I believe - but am not certain - that all these items are included in Taycan HV battery assembly part.
Sponsored