PPF regrets?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Good advice but I am probably locked in for a while as I already have the ceramic coating and nothing wants to stick to that stuff. My guess is that it would be an ordeal to stick PPF over ceramic. But so far so good after about 3,500 miles -- no chips yet. But, winter approaches and that is my real concern.
Chips are there - just not easily seen. [ex. look through a windshield with some miles on it in direct sunlight. That's what the paint looks like under light]
Sponsored

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
I have absolutely no (NONE!) PPF regrets.

When my first road trip from the San Francisco Bay Area to the Los Angeles Area saw a small rock hit my car on highway 5. It actually bounced off the hood and then hit my windshield (placing a small chip in both). The PPF completely did it's job on the hood.

The second incident happened when my father accidently hit my Taycan while parking. He didn't realize the rear passenger door of his car was open and that door hit the front of my car. As you can see from the photos below, he really did a number, hitting two different panels of the car. But the PPF protected the paint, completely. I've since replaced the PPF on my the two side panels my father hit, and because my PPF installer was there, my hood as well. Not one scratch on the paint and the car looks beautiful and perfect again. :)

My car has Xpel on it it.

Porsche Taycan PPF regrets? 20211002_125542

Porsche Taycan PPF regrets? 20211002_125652

Porsche Taycan PPF regrets? 20211002_125552

OP
OP
Fedex77

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
I chose the front end PFF, from the dealer. This added two benefits. One is that the PFF cost is now part of the car, thus covered by insurance. If you get it after delivery from a 3rd-party provider, its considered after-market and not covered. Second is that the dealer accepts the risk of disassembly. Disassembly is required to get the seal around the edges, which reduces the chance of peeling.
not true, insurance policies are obligated to return your car to condition prior to accident. Just keep the PPF receipts. If you’re concerned, email the agent your reciept after it’s installed.

biggest negative of using the dealer is you can’t shop around for the best installer. I know the installer my Porsche dealer uses is not my preferred one. They don’t use custom film and use pre cut ones only, tons of edges.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I have absolutely no (NONE!) PPF regrets.

When my first road trip from the San Francisco Bay Area to the Los Angeles Area saw a small rock hit my car on highway 5. It actually bounced off the hood and then hit my windshield (placing a small chip in both). The PPF completely did it's job on the hood.

The second incident happened when my father accidently hit my Taycan while parking. He didn't realize the rear passenger door of his car was open and that door hit the front of my car. As you can see from the photos below, he really did a number, hitting two different panels of the car. But the PPF protected the paint, completely. I've since replaced the PPF on my the two side panels my father hit, and because my PPF installer was there, my hood as well. Not one scratch on the paint and the car looks beautiful and perfect again. :)

My car has Xpel on it it.

20211002_125542.jpg

20211002_125652.jpg

20211002_125552.jpg
Great testimonial for the value of ppf. It is however a crime against nature for the state of CA to force you to defile your car's purity with its "Access OK" sticker.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Great testimonial for the value of ppf. It is however a crime against nature for the state of CA to force you to defile your car's purity with its "Access OK" sticker.

Yeah, I didn't want to do that, but honestly, it's the only way most people know this is an electric car! LOL. But it matches my paint, so it's not so bad. :) And neither is driving in the HOV lane with just me in the car.

Mook

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Cayenne Turbo S, Merc 560SL
Country flag
Update on my PPF - the XPEL Ultimate PPF has been on a while and it is quite good. Have not had any new nicks or paint chips that I can see on the paint. On the few nicks on the PPF, I poured warm water and rubbed it down and it seemed to cure well. I have had ceramic spray on it to keep it hydrophobic and slick and it seems to work as bugs and other stuff are easier to clean. Am going all in and applying Adam Advanced Graphene coating on it as it is hardier and better than Ceramic Spray.

CAUTION - do not PPF the headlights as Porsche will void any warranty. The dealer told me it affects the shape of the plastic and may cause damage to the headlights.

Porsche now offers PPF as a factory installed option.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Update on my PPF - the XPEL Ultimate PPF has been on a while and it is quite good. Have not had any new nicks or paint chips that I can see on the paint. On the few nicks on the PPF, I poured warm water and rubbed it down and it seemed to cure well. I have had ceramic spray on it to keep it hydrophobic and slick and it seems to work as bugs and other stuff are easier to clean. Am going all in and applying Adam Advanced Graphene coating on it as it is hardier and better than Ceramic Spray.

CAUTION - do not PPF the headlights as Porsche will void any warranty. The dealer told me it affects the shape of the plastic and may cause damage to the headlights.

Porsche now offers PPF as a factory installed option.
My PPF guy says the Taycan is ok to PPF the headlights. Although can't do on all Porsche's.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
My PPF guy says the Taycan is ok to PPF the headlights. Although can't do on all Porsche's.
Same from my PPF installer. He suggested not to do it on 991 - I have it anyway.

NoRPM22

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Volcano Grey
Country flag
I'm looking at doing PPF on the front areas (bumper, hood, headlights, mirrors etc). One installer told me the rocker panels don't really need it because they are not metal. I'm still not sold on doing Ceramic for the rest of the car. Wondering if any advise on what to ask the installer. Reading this thread, it seems like the XPEL can come pre-cut or can be custom cut, which is better? Also, does headlight PPF void warranty? Which XPEL product should I go with? Is there really a difference between 2 yr ceramic vs 10 yr ceramic coating? My car color would be Volcano grey if that is of any relevance.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
I'm looking at doing PPF on the front areas (bumper, hood, headlights, mirrors etc). One installer told me the rocker panels don't really need it because they are not metal. I'm still not sold on doing Ceramic for the rest of the car. Wondering if any advise on what to ask the installer. Reading this thread, it seems like the XPEL can come pre-cut or can be custom cut, which is better? Also, does headlight PPF void warranty? Which XPEL product should I go with? Is there really a difference between 2 yr ceramic vs 10 yr ceramic coating? My car color would be Volcano grey if that is of any relevance.

In ATL as well with a Volcano Taycan. Did front area PPF, the door handle wells and a section of the rear hatch where a suitcase would hit if rested on the body. No rocker panel. Installer I used has template cutting machine so the pieces were perfectly fit. Also did GTechniq 10 year ceramic coating. No regrets. Much easier washing the car. Also did gloss XPEL on touch screens and the panel where the passenger display would have gone.

For what its worth, at the installer's suggestion, I told Hennessy to NOT do anything on the exterior except inspect for defects. Drove the car directly the few miles to the installer. Minimal paint correction which kept the costs down. Half a year later, still looks perfect.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I'm not big into ceramic coating personally, but I've fully wrapped every new car I have purchased recently. Precuts make installation faster and cheaper, and the installer can actually adjust the precut shape so it goes right to the edge. You only want custom cut if you want absolutely zero seams on your car, but it will come at a high price due to the added installation time and material wastage. My guy just uses precuts and it's almost perfect. In fact, I'm picking up my Taycan from him tomorrow.

Headlights are always wrapped and they don't avoid the warranty. For wrapping the car, you only need XPEL Ultimate Plus - that's the standard.

Hope that helps.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah, I didn't want to do that, but honestly, it's the only way most people know this is an electric car! LOL. But it matches my paint, so it's not so bad. :) And neither is driving in the HOV lane with just me in the car.
"Access OK" sticker on a Tesla: how to tell me you're a Californian that just moved to Texas without speaking a word...

Mook

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Cayenne Turbo S, Merc 560SL
Country flag
Does anyone else have Porsche dealer input versus PPF installers' say on Taycan headlights? Three installers did not bring this up. Went with the guy who did after I checked with the dealer. Hope you guys are right.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Does anyone else have Porsche dealer input versus PPF installers' say on Taycan headlights? Three installers did not bring this up. Went with the guy who did after I checked with the dealer. Hope you guys are right.

Are you asking if you should put PPF on the headlights?

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve stuffed those unsightly stickers into the glove box where they’ll reside until needed. Fact is, it says right on the letter that came with those sticky abominations to present them to law enforcement when asked to do so.
Sponsored