PPF regrets?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Does anyone else have Porsche dealer input versus PPF installers' say on Taycan headlights? Three installers did not bring this up. Went with the guy who did after I checked with the dealer. Hope you guys are right.
MY dealer (premier dealer) offers the service to clients including headlight protection. What are you worried about? They are expensive - film them.
Sponsored

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Anyone with a leased car with PPF, Ceramic coating et al? I'm wondering if it's worth the extra cost or should I just do lease end protection? I haven't PPF'd any car before and I've gotten quotes for this one, but just a little hesitant since the car will be returned in 3yrs and I've put zero down for it otherwise.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Anyone with a leased car with PPF, Ceramic coating et al? I'm wondering if it's worth the extra cost or should I just do lease end protection? I haven't PPF'd any car before and I've gotten quotes for this one, but just a little hesitant since the car will be returned in 3yrs and I've put zero down for it otherwise.
Getting a 4 year PCP myself, if they valued PPF from a finance perspective they'd include their new front protection in the residual calculation but they don't so won't be adding it. I'll probably just get some cosmetic paint and alloy cover as have before for lease cars (to save hassle on handover or early sale).

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did it. Want to have the car look nice and be easy to clean while I have it. Did not do it for lease end protection purposes and would not have purchased lease end protection policy under any circumstances.

Last edited:

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
I did it. Want to have the car look nice and be easy to clean while I have it. Did not do it for lease end protection purposes and would not have purchased lease end protection policy under any circumstances.
Ditto!

Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag
MY dealer (premier dealer) offers the service to clients including headlight protection. What are you worried about? They are expensive - film them.
My detailer claims that Porsche puts a coating on the headlights, which may come off when removing the PPF, in which case they need to be replaced.
My dealer confirmed that he had heard about a customer who had to pay for the replacement himself. Sounds super weird to me but then again, I know nada about detailing. ?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My detailer claims that Porsche puts a coating on the headlights, which may come off when removing the PPF, in which case they need to be replaced.
My dealer confirmed that he had heard about a customer who had to pay for the replacement himself. Sounds super weird to me but then again, I know nada about detailing. ?
Not all models - 991 confirmed they do.

Mook

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Cayenne Turbo S, Merc 560SL
Country flag
Are you asking if you should put PPF on the headlights?
Sorry, been away for a while. No, have decided that I am not going to PPF headlights based on what the dealer told me.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry, been away for a while. No, have decided that I am not going to PPF headlights based on what the dealer told me.
I would. Film replacement cost much less than a headlight housing.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
"Notice The headlights can be damaged as a result of abrasion and excessive temperatures. Do not install any coverings (e.g. stone guards or films) in the headlight area."
---2022 Taycan Owner's Manual, page 128.

andrew1cohen

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tayvan GTS, June BMW M4 Convert, Audi, Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Ok, I'm a newbie, please be patient. What is PPF and how it is different from the Protective film that Porsche offers for $2,750? I live in San Francisco. Shitty roads, lots of crud on the roads and highways.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Notice The headlights can be damaged as a result of abrasion and excessive temperatures. Do not install any coverings (e.g. stone guards or films) in the headlight area."
---2022 Taycan Owner's Manual, page 128.
No link? Zero issues protecting the headlights on the last 4 P-cars I have owned. (996, 991,1, 991,2, 9Y0, J1)

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm being cautious here because there are a lot of fine people that lose their minds if you question the need for ceramic coat on PPF, so please bear with me. The supercar customization shop where I had my Taycan PPF'd stopped applying ceramic coat to PPF after they switched to their current PPF brand. I'm not going to name the brand of PPF they use now because it may not be the only brand that does not benefit from ceramic coat, and I don't want to come across as pushing a particular brand. I had them ceramic coat an older vehicle of mine that lacks PPF, so they are glad to take my money to apply ceramic coat, but they cannot in good conscience do so when the car has been PPF'd with this film and there is utterly no detectible benefit to adding ceramic coat. If you speak to the installers as I have about how they enjoy their job, they speak of a zen-like experience that makes an 8+ hour day seem like minutes, because they can just zone out in the film and coating application processes. I wouldn't hold it against your shop if they truly believe that deeply religious experience must have tangible benefit, even if it doesn't. But like your best friend who fervently urges you to take homeopathic herbal remedies, they may have all the right intentions while speaking nonsense.
I've had my last few cars wrapped with PPF. Make sure they are reputable and do not leave seams where dirt can collect. For the price it seems they are doing a proper wrap job, not just applying a jigged cut out, which is meant to be easy with no panel removal. As for Ceramic, most PPF can have wax applied to it, and many companies such as Griots have a spray wax made specifically for PPF, which works just as well to keep the PPF clean, and hydrophobic. I have had cars ceramic coated (with no PPF), not cheap after paint correction, and find the ceramic keeps the corrected paint looking glass like, but has its issues with spotting and of course does not protect from chips. With PPF installed, it seems ceramic on top is overkill.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Ok, I'm a newbie, please be patient. What is PPF and how it is different from the Protective film that Porsche offers for $2,750? I live in San Francisco. Shitty roads, lots of crud on the roads and highways.
It's the same thing, albeit this is for front only. Based on what I have read on this site, it's not installed at factory, the dealer will have a local installer handle. Better of picking your own installer based on local recommendations.
Sponsored