jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
When the pandemic hit back in the spring and the markets tanked, I decided to cancel my Taycan 4S order, which was scheduled (pre-COVID delays) for delivery in July. Since I needed to replace my 540i at lease expiration, I bought a Model 3 Performance. While I have enjoyed the car, and have not been driving much while working at home, I cannot say I have a lot of passion for the Model 3. The acceleration is great, but I really dislike the media interface and lack of a screen behind the wheel for critical information and navigation maps. I have considered replacing the Tesla with a Polestar 2, but I’m not sure that car will generate much passion either.

So, I have started reconsidering the Taycan and am very happy to see the real life range data, which are far greater than the EPA rating, especially the most recent Teslaboryn review of the 4S with 19” tires.

I understand the configurator for the MY21 should be available soon. When I placed my order before, there was no negotiation on price. Now, I see the dealers in the DC area have a fairly large supply of inventory. So, I was wondering if pricing is still at MSRP or people are being successful negotiating a discount?
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Pricing is about local availability and allocation. The biggest discounts will be finding a car sitting on a lot somewhere. If you have a lot of local Porsche dealers around, and there's spare allocation, there's certainly wiggle room.

Best bet is to just email a bunch of dealers and ask.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I very much doubt you'll get an MSRP discount on a Taycan. Maybe a very small one on a lot car but then you'll have to pay transport unless it's local.

There are very limited allocations for any Porsche right now.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Now, I see the dealers in the DC area have a fairly large supply of inventory.
Do they actually have the inventory in their lots, or is this going to some website where they list "inventory".

I found that those cars on the websites were for cars that were ordered for customers and coming in for them, and some dealer demos - neither of which were for sale...but they were willing take a deposit for a new order.

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do they actually have the inventory in their lots, or is this going to some website where they list "inventory".

I found that those cars on the websites were for cars that were ordered for customers and coming in for them, and some dealer demos - neither of which were for sale...but they were willing take a deposit for a new order.
Good questions. I have not contacted dealers about whether the cars listed are for sale or already spoken for. If I jump back into a Taycan, I would order to get the exact specifications I want, which would mean a '21 and delivery early next year. Still wondering if people with special orders are able to negotiate a discount from MSRP. We considered a Cayenne Hybrid about a year ago to replace our X5, and were able to negotiate a pretty solid discount for an ordered car, but we had to pass due to the delay in EPA certification and delivery. Of course, I realize for Porsche the Cayenne is a fairly "high volume car" while the Taycan is a new model with limited deliveries to date.

Good news is that the Taycan qualifies for the $7500 tax credit and in DC we do not pay sales tax for electric vehicles, which means an additional savings of 7% of MSRP.

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag

My local dealer has 4 vehicles physically on the lot (including the Demo model) so there are definitely some dealers with inventory out there, depending on your specific geography. These 4 specifically have been in inventory for at least a couple of months. I'm sure in a situation like that there is room for negotiation.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@jkjjpc the short & sweet answer is no. There are no dealers offering a discount on custom ordered Taycans. Other Porsches run at 5-8% off custom orders but the Taycan currently is MSRP only.

Did you have a deposit or anything on the Cayenne? Porsche was offering some compensation to those that got stuck with the EPA bs so you might be able to get a discount that way.

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you have a deposit or anything on the Cayenne? Porsche was offering some compensation to those that got stuck with the EPA bs so you might be able to get a discount that way.
We cancelled the order on the Cayenne Hybrid. The delay went well beyond when the lease for our X5 ended. So, we bought a new X5. The money "saved" between the Cayenne Hybrid and the X5 in theory would be applied to the Taycan purchase, but that was before COVID-19 and the markets tanked. At that point it seemed less than responsible to spend so much on a car. But, in hindsight, the markets have recovered and spending less on a Tesla has given me a perfectly good grocery getter, but not a car that inspires any passion, and also comes with a very frustrating user interface.

mike-taycan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I bought mine off a lot a month ago. Had everything I wanted so didn’t need to order. Dealer has 4 on the lot, in inventory. One was a cancelled order. No discount off MSRP but got a really great deal on my trade.

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have an excellent relationship with my dealer, and other than a couple of times when I have strayed off the reservation, I have bought my cars from them. They sell Porsche, Audi, VW. A couple of months ago I decided to give the Taycan a try. Luckily for me they had a cancelled order that was very close to what I would have specced. The cancelled order came about because the person who ‘built’ the car decided he couldn’t stand the wait and bought a 4S lot car. My car is a loaded Turbo, and when we made the deal it was already aboard the ship. Unfortunately when it arrived it had a bad part on the steering wheel assembly, and a new assembly had to be ordered which will be here around 9/1. But for the exceptional deal I would have walked a long time ago.

I received a high single digit % discount on the Turbo, higher than usual because it is a loaded car that is in Turbo S territory on price. But on any custom ordered Taycan I was offered a mid single digit % discount. For reference I custom ordered a 991.2 GTS from them in 2017 and received a high single digit % discount. A dealer an hour away would not discount a custom ordered GTS one dime.

Long and short is deals are out there. It would pay to contact dealers all over the place as it might be worth a long drive or flight for a decent discount. My dealer has virtually no inventory of Porsche’s and very few Audi’s, but they are still offering deals on most incoming cars. You want an RS6 Avant? No deals, but then nothing over sticker with needless add-ons either.

Last edited:

bill winfield

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Cayeene
Country flag
When the pandemic hit back in the spring and the markets tanked, I decided to cancel my Taycan 4S order, which was scheduled (pre-COVID delays) for delivery in July. Since I needed to replace my 540i at lease expiration, I bought a Model 3 Performance. While I have enjoyed the car, and have not been driving much while working at home, I cannot say I have a lot of passion for the Model 3. The acceleration is great, but I really dislike the media interface and lack of a screen behind the wheel for critical information and navigation maps. I have considered replacing the Tesla with a Polestar 2, but I’m not sure that car will generate much passion either.

So, I have started reconsidering the Taycan and am very happy to see the real life range data, which are far greater than the EPA rating, especially the most recent Teslaboryn review of the 4S with 19” tires.

I understand the configurator for the MY21 should be available soon. When I placed my order before, there was no negotiation on price. Now, I see the dealers in the DC area have a fairly large supply of inventory. So, I was wondering if pricing is still at MSRP or people are being successful negotiating a discount?
You may want to reach out to Porsche Atlanta Perimeter. I bought a Macan there for 10% off. I asked about the Taycan and they weren’t as flexible on Taycan pricing, but did offer 3% as a courtesy on any remaining 2020. I went straight to the new car manager, Wyll Dickenson when I inquired.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Ormond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
I noticed that many of the dealers here in Florida have at least 4 in stock. I’m so tempted to go drive one. I saw one discount advertised, but I’m guessing it is the demo Turbo S.

I really was satisfied with Tesla, but..

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was able to get a discount on a new Turbo S that was on the dealer lot. There are discounts to be had.
I have heard you can get some discounts on dealer stock (3-5%) but they're not discounting custom orders. Depending on how much you put down as a deposit on your custom build there may be an opportunity to "deal or walk" from that money...but that's a game of chicken ultimately. I did get dealer to throw in $2500 worth of "MSRP" aftermarket items (I'm getting tint, front Xpel, and tire and wheel coverage)...