Privacy Glass yes or no

Arc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
I’m currently look into specing out a 4S CT and wonder what the thoughts are on choosing the factory privacy glass. I’m torn if it makes the car look a bit like a hearse or a panel van if I go with jet black exterior and high gloss window trim.(I don’t like the chrome trim)
With a lighter color such as dolomite (also an alternative) I’m not worried about the possibility of a hearse /panel van look.

I don’t live in a warm climate and will get the thermally insulted option primarily for the noise reduction.

Decisions decisions… ??

(Pictures are just for showing with and without the privacy glass)

Porsche Taycan Privacy Glass yes or no 4FA1615A-EC66-4F6B-93E8-1BB0634DAA7D

Porsche Taycan Privacy Glass yes or no D75574B9-C930-4125-8185-9AED17CADF4A

Porsche Taycan Privacy Glass yes or no B268C61E-05F1-4AE2-BAD8-3506D02A938E

ljump12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
I opted for a no on the package, as it can interfere with phone & radar signal. Figured it wasn’t worth it with those downsides.

OP
OP

Arc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
I opted for a no on the package, as it can interfere with phone & radar signal. Figured it wasn’t worth it with those downsides.
Not too worried about that. Radar is prohibited/not allowed in my country and doesn’t the phone use the external antenna when connected to the car? I have similar double glass on my current car (not porsche) and haven’t had any issue with reception.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
you can always go 'no' to the option and then add ceramic film afterwords. This way, you can switch if you decide you don't like the option.
I decided for 'no' on the 4s sedan, but I really like the look on the CT! Ultimately, I wish my state allowed 'some' tinting of the front window and I would have done 17% carbon film on the full windows (might have even done this on the windshield) for the efficiency of blocking IR/UV rays.
I can say the reception in the vehicle without the thermally insulated glass is much worse than my Panamera GTS even outside of the arm-rest, it is even worse when in the charger.
I think it would have been great to have a little antenna repeater that was routed into the armrest so when charging, you get full reception and this would be a non-issue.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m currently look into specing out a 4S CT and wonder what the thoughts are on choosing the factory privacy glass. I’m torn if it makes the car look a bit like a hearse or a panel van if I go with jet black exterior and high gloss window trim.(I don’t like the chrome trim)
With a lighter color such as dolomite (also an alternative) I’m not worried about the possibility of a hearse /panel van look.

I don’t live in a warm climate and will get the thermally insulted option primarily for the noise reduction.

Decisions decisions… ??

(Pictures are just for showing with and without the privacy glass)

4FA1615A-EC66-4F6B-93E8-1BB0634DAA7D.jpeg

D75574B9-C930-4125-8185-9AED17CADF4A.jpeg

B268C61E-05F1-4AE2-BAD8-3506D02A938E.jpeg
Absolutely yes.

Doesn't interfere with anything - insulated glass will.

Reactions: B61

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Love the look it. Goes perfect with the all black exterrior.

Porsche Taycan Privacy Glass yes or no B730F3CA-910B-41B0-8EAA-5420368619D2

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Maybe this varies depending on the country? In Australia, Privacy glass is standard and includes thermal insulation. You can fit a film tint to driver and passenger side windows, but nothing to the windscreen and the tint you are allowed is not nearly as dark as the factory privacy glass.
Acoustic or noise insulating glass is an option - in Australia this is also thermally insulated but interesting not available with privacy glass. This means that it can look odd t some, as the B pillar glass is dark, as is the rear quater-light glass and the glass panel below the rear window. In a drak setting it is not that noticeable but in the sun looks a little 'patchwork' like. You can then tint the glass with a film, but the dealer will not warranty this as the acoustic glass is much thicker and this may then damage the film over time. Some US colleagues have done this and report no issues. I have the standard glass (therefor in Australia = Privacy and thermal insulation). I have tinted the front windows. I think looks good and no issues with heat. Did drive a car with Acoustic glass which was definitely quieter.
Overall, for you, with a black exterior, I would not go for Privacy glass as I agree - a little too hearse like. If you do which to tint late that is relatively easy, whereas removing Privacy glass would definitely not be!

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If heat rejection is a factor for you, consider that you’ll get significantly more heat rejection if you go with aftermarket tint—like ceramic or 3M Crystalline.

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
The less we see inside the better it is for thiefs ...

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Absolutely yes for privacy glass. I agree with OP about the potential panel van look. That is partly the reason why i chose the chrome trim around the windows, makes it also look a bit more sporty/sleek IMO. Just go with what fits your taste and needs best.

Porsche Taycan Privacy Glass yes or no TaycanCT
Sponsored