Jiggins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Green Mini Cooper SE, Jet Black GTS ST
Country flag
I found the picture I took to persuade DVLA I had both cars to transfer the plate but the Merc has been on SORN too long for their rules. I need to MOT and tax it to move, monumental PITA. A friend wants it since he is a Porsche fanatic but I want to keep 6FD.
DSC01055.jpg
What a pain. 6FD must be worth a pretty penny!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Classy- from when many performance-enhanced German prestige saloons still had relatively subtle Q-car / sleeper looks...nowadays AMG and M-division trims can be be had to put a sheep in to wolf's clothing.
I ordered it de-badged. I picked it up at the factory and had a great drive home!

The 500E has around 1000 bodyshell mods over a normal W124, mainly to get the engine in but it is 52mm (iirc) wider, and fairly subtle about it as you write.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Vanity plates CAN be tacky - if it's an "internal" coded one that doesn't really have any meaning for the general public and doesn't cost you much, go for it. It's your car and life is too short to ponder what others might or might not think.

I never understood why anyone would spend big amounts of money on "prestige" (whatever that means) combinations though since that more than anything says the owner is screaming for attention.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What a pain. 6FD must be worth a pretty penny!
No idea what it is worth now. I bought it almost 30 years ago for that J reg Merc. I just happened to see it advertised and we have 4 children, so a family of 6 and my initials (and nickname in Formula 1) is FD so I bought it.
Mind you all children over 40 now!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I never understood why anyone would spend big amounts of money on "prestige" (whatever that means) combinations though since that more than anything says the owner is screaming for attention.
To be fair, if you choose a Taycan you're not doing a great job of blending in and passing unnoticed- I think the reg. plate is just a sideshow in comparison.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To be fair, if you choose a Taycan you're not doing a great job of blending in and passing unnoticed- I think the reg. plate is just a sideshow in comparison.
True, but it come across as a Subaru Outback compared to a Rolls-Royce Wraith;)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True, but it come across as a Subaru Outback compared to a Rolls-Royce Wraith;)
Round here most fancy number plates are on SUVs, particularly Range Rovers.

I888I

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911-996 - Taycan GTS (9/23) - Cessna C340A
Country flag
What do people think of private plates? If I could find/afford JON 1 then I'd go for that one obviously! 😉

After thinking it through, and as delivery of my Taycan GTS is getting close, I have decided to take the plunge and reserve a private (vanity) plate, for the following reasons:

1. the car will be registered in Belgium, and any available combination of up to 8 letters and number can be reserved for a fixed price. There is no second hand trade in used registration numbers.
2. the standard registration contains (or better indicates) the month of registration of the car, and indirectly also whether it’s a new or second hand car. I don’t want neighbors to get that info.
3. Taking abstraction of the obvious names, initials or other personal references, there are some pretty cool registrations available.

So decision made and registration reserved: its a Palindrome and Ambigram that can actually be turned around the 3 axes and/or mirrored without changing. It contains a reference to the Chinese lucky charm, and has the first letter of the first name of my spouse…. there is a hint in my user-ID here…. 🤭

if that isn’t cheesy but cool? I’ll post a picture after delivery of the car, in about 3 weeks.

Porsche Taycan Private plates - cheesy or cool? IMG_7549

Porsche Taycan Private plates - cheesy or cool? IMG_7554

Last edited:

pdavison

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Velar, Harley Davidson Sportster
Country flag
Thought I'd add my contribution to this thread as I've just put this on the Taycan ... subtle enough I thought!
Porsche Taycan Private plates - cheesy or cool? SS53 HHH

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
i think it's highly regional. In the US - the state (sorry, COMMONWEALTH) of virginia everyone has them - they give you NINE letters - NINE is crazy. I only get SIX in my state.

Depends on if you want to blend in or stand out. I kind of want to blend in in the Taycan in case i blow through 3 lights and knock over a grandma pushing a baby stroller who's too close to the sidewalk. it's easier for them to say THE LICENSE PLATE WAS "VROOOM" versus - "i think it was GR38DV or was it Rv83VD or was it..."

i actually thought about getting a combination of ZERO and the letter "O" so it'd be hard to enter for a cop. lol
O0O0OO

or maybe fives and S's: 5SS55S

although in viriginia it could be 00O0OOO00 or 55S5SS5S5

there's also privacy - my daughter refused to use the personalized plate we got for her saying she didn't want people (and potential stalkers) knowing exactly which car was hers. made me take a step back and think of it differently

i have them on our work vans - but i want the vans to catch people's eyes.

To each, their own...

also, in the US i thin it was an extra $45 or $60

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
2. the standard registration contains (or better indicates) the month of registration of the car, and indirectly also whether it’s a new or second hand car. I don’t want neighbors to get that info.
We don’t have personalized plates here. And with a standard plate number you can lookup a lot of information of the car, including purchase price, first date of registration, registration date current owner, number of owners incl private/company owned, etc.

Almost the only information which is not publicly available is name and address.

:angry:

I would definitely go for personalized plates if that was possible.