PSA: Don't fully trust the 3D surround vision

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It seems like it’s displaying everything accurately. What am I missing?

I love the cameras on this car, particularly the fisheye in the rear, as it allows me to see down the aisle as I back out in a parking lot. Once I got used to the fish eye, it would be hard to go back to a standard view.
Sponsored

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It seems like it’s displaying everything accurately. What am I missing?

I love the cameras on this car, particularly the fisheye in the rear, as it allows me to see down the aisle as I back out in a parking lot. Once I got used to the fish eye, it would be hard to go back to a standard view.
A giant pole which turned into a pavement stain the 3D representation.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is why sonars are still important. Even if it's not shown by the camera, the sonar sensor still provides you a indicator that something is probably there. Drivers need to be paying attention at all times and not just relying on a single technology.

No tech is 100% perfect. It's important to be aware of these edge cases and to understanding if there's an auxiliary system that is there to help as an additional input to your decision making process.

Porsche Taycan PSA: Don't fully trust the 3D surround vision 1679693802738

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
It is just cropped because of camera POV. The fisheye is about getting used to “objects in your rear camera might be larger than they appear” kind of thing.
I think the augmented car is great, it’s in your color, did you really think they would model every option and trim? Mine lacks carbon sports package and my wheels are RS Spyder, not Turbo but nothing I can do about it.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is why sonars are still important. Even if it's not shown by the camera, the sonar sensor still provides you a indicator that something is probably there. Drivers need to be paying attention at all times and not just relying on a single technology.

No tech is 100% perfect. It's important to be aware of these edge cases and to understanding if there's an auxiliary system that is there to help as an additional input to your decision making process.

1679693802738.png
Except on a Taycan ultrasonics throw false positives here and there, so eventually you learn to ignore them if it looks there is no obstacle on the screen. I took the picture below just few minutes ago, no clue what caused the car to think something is there, rain on USS perhaps (it was raining, as it does a lot here in Seattle - maybe Taycan backup systems not tested much in rain?). It was not showing anything when I started to back up on the driveway, only after I pulled into the wide open garage. Wiped the USS, went away.
Porsche Taycan PSA: Don't fully trust the 3D surround vision 1679705870653

As I said, fancy backup monitoring system, but despite (or perhaps because) of its complexity, it seems not very reliable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is just cropped because of camera POV. The fisheye is about getting used to “objects in your rear camera might be larger than they appear” kind of thing.
I think the augmented car is great, it’s in your color, did you really think they would model every option and trim? Mine lacks carbon sports package and my wheels are RS Spyder, not Turbo but nothing I can do about it.
I was saying I don't have a problem with the car representation, I don't really care, though if it did show up in a wrong color, it would seem like an unfinished product (result of cutting costs everywhere?) as it's not that hard to change colors of the car in a 3D model (computer games do it all the time). The red turn signals I find annoying, but not because of the 3D representation, I would actually prefer if they were amber in real world and rendered in red. The real world amber turn signals is what I want, as it's been proven by a at least a couple insurance companies studies, they are safer (less ambiguous signaling, and you don't lose stop lights when signaling).

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
This is possibly the only aspect of my car that I find unacceptable (yes the UI is needlessly complicated and hardly intuitive but that's learning curve). Fish eye distortion is nuts. 360 view essentially unusable. With the small dash display size having it broken into two sections just makes it worse. Not ready for prime time.

Icebergmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 850i, Taycan 4S (on order)
Country flag
I agree. The backup camera is terrible. Toyotas have better cameras.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The overhead is showing an object there and it is giving a proximity warning. What else is the car supposed to do?
Read my comment above on proximity, why you the car trains you to ignore it over time. As for what a regular user of the car expects, well, the 3D view to match reality especially when it comes to obstacles around the car, i.e. a pole in the 3D view. Whether or not it is technically possible with the current placement of camera is irrelevant - most people are not engineers who know exactly all the limitations of the technology. If you're selling a photo realistic visualization, people do not expect giant poles to not show up in the 3D view. If it is technologically impossible to see all obstacles around the car, perhaps render those "blind spots" into the 3D view, or don't offer it at all. If a manufacturer was unable to design a rear view camera with less than 2 seconds lag, perhaps it's better not to offer it at all, rather than offer one with 2s lag.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Read my comment above on proximity, why you the car trains you to ignore it over time. As for what a regular user of the car expects, well, the 3D view to match reality especially when it comes to obstacles around the car, i.e. a pole in the 3D view. Whether or not it is technically possible with the current placement of camera is irrelevant - most people are not engineers who know exactly all the limitations of the technology. If you're selling a photo realistic visualization, people do not expect giant poles to not show up in the 3D view. If it is technologically impossible to see all obstacles around the car, perhaps render those "blind spots" into the 3D view, or don't offer it at all. If a manufacturer was unable to design a rear view camera with less than 2 seconds lag, perhaps it's better not to offer it at all, rather than offer one with 2s lag.
I don’t even know what 3D view is. I just use the overhead view and the rear camera. Both do the job. And the sensors always tell me when I’m near something or if a car is approaching as I back out.

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The backup camera does suck, but posts like this are ridiculous.

ALL USS throw occasional false positives. Maybe you didn’t realize since your new Model S doesn’t have them?

Were you unable to see that giant pole in front of you because of the backup camera?

The top down view is very good and the 3D view is as well. I also have a Tesla (Model Y, with USS), and while the backup cam is miles better, USS is the same and lack of 360 sucks.

A rant isn’t a “PSA”. Give me a break.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The backup camera does suck, but posts like this are ridiculous.

ALL USS throw occasional false positives. Maybe you didn’t realize since your new Model S doesn’t have them?

Were you unable to see that giant pole in front of you because of the backup camera?

The top down view is very good and the 3D view is as well. I also have a Tesla (Model Y, with USS), and while the backup cam is miles better, USS is the same and lack of 360 sucks.

A rant isn’t a “PSA”. Give me a break.
If the same pole was in the rear blind spot you could hit it, since everything in the rear view camera looks like you're about it hit it, even though it's actually out of your way. You say the 360 view works great, yes it does, as long as you have a foot clearance around the car. Any less and it gets all screwed up. In the picture below, the 360 view looks like I should be able to drive forward and not hit anything right. In the real world, there is a wall there, not big like the giant pole, but if I was to drive straight out of the garage, I would hit it (yes, the USS shows red, but it also shows red on the side which would not hit the car if I drove straight out). It's worth mentioning that maneuvering assist has to be off for me to drive into the garage, or else it brakes and requires me to hit the accelerator to keep on moving, which is not a great idea when you only have 6 inches or less of clearance.

Porsche Taycan PSA: Don't fully trust the 3D surround vision 1680073227597

The problem is that it's not reliable. Yea, it works great most of the time, but if I can never trust it, its utility drops tremendously. The PSA is, don't trust it fully, always verify using windows, mirrors, non-electronic sources.

Last edited:

CALLAWISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (on order), BMW M5 Competition
Country flag
Cameras/sensors are a joke.
I mangled up the back of my GTS a couple of weeks after taking delivery...

Hit a lamp post while reversing, images attached for amusement....

It's the only think I dislike about the Taycan. I'm used the the quality of the BMW surround and reversing cams (and auto stopping if about to reverse into something).

Porsche Taycan PSA: Don't fully trust the 3D surround vision 20230125_121821

Porsche Taycan PSA: Don't fully trust the 3D surround vision 20230125_121816

Porsche Taycan PSA: Don't fully trust the 3D surround vision 20230125_121812

Porsche Taycan PSA: Don't fully trust the 3D surround vision 20230125_121803