Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Like most things in life, this is dependent on one's situation. I specifically went with a plug so that I can take the station with me to my next home, while still being able to market my house when it goes on sale as "EV charging ready". 😉
You’re concerned about moving a $600 piece of equipment (that’ll probably be worth half that when you sell)? If you use it for five years, it will have cost you $10 a month.

I say hardwire it and leave it. There will be better options available when you buy your next house.
Sponsored

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
You’re concerned about moving a $600 piece of equipment (that’ll probably be worth half that when you sell)? If you use it for five years, it will have cost you $10 a month.

I say hardwire it and leave it. There will be better options available when you buy your next house.
Points taken. But plug in, for my scenario, just seems easier. The station works well and easily charges the car overnight - not sure what else I'd need from a future unit that can be done better. I assume any improvements going forward to it would be more firm/software side, so would come as OTA updates.

The other aspect was that it was backordered when I first went to order one and took almost 2 months to deliver. Now I don't have to worry about waiting for one again.

To each their own!

pdt6974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, Elantra N
Country flag

Agreed. Dumped the Porsche charger in the frunk and installed a hardwired Autel (50amp). Now I charge @ 10.4kw/hr and sleep peacefully.

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
I got my chargepoint home charger hardwired and the electrician was able to put it on 60 amp breaker since the wire is rated for 55 amps (6 AWG). However I found this in the chargepoint installation document:

CAUTION: Home Flex is a continuous load device. The circuit must be rated for 125% of the maximum load.

Does the circuit rating here imply the circuit breaker (60 amp) or the wire rating?

Thanks

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I got my chargepoint home charger hardwired and the electrician was able to put it on 60 amp breaker since the wire is rated for 55 amps (6 AWG). However I found this in the chargepoint installation document:

CAUTION: Home Flex is a continuous load device. The circuit must be rated for 125% of the maximum load.

Does the circuit rating here imply the circuit breaker (60 amp) or the wire rating?

Thanks
the load here is 48 amps - 48 * 125% = 60 amps which is the breaker in this case - it would be better if the wire was 60 amp rated - but it will probably be fine…

but you should consider with your electrician.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

Thanks
What kind of 6AWG wire connection do you have? Copper AWG6 THHN 95C with 2 conductors + ground in a conduit should be 60A rated, unless you're running it far, like across a farm.

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
What kind of 6AWG wire connection do you have? Copper AWG6 THHN 95C with 2 conductors + ground in a conduit should be 60A rated, unless you're running it far, like across a farm.
Its copper AWG6 in non metal sheath with 3 conductors and ground (was previously connected to NEMA 14-50 receptacle). I am unable to read the rating on the sheath itself due to the metal conduit through which we are passing the wire.
Sponsored