Puddle Lights, Practicality Thereof (U.S. market)

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Apologies in advance if I'm missing the definitive answer.
But this old post:
... seems to be the definitive formulation on the practicality of the $330 puddle lights option.
Yet it seems to lack a definitive answer.
Some other more recent threads address it, but the answer also seems to depend on different markets.

My build (with caveats as to actually following through on it this year):
PRIR94Y1​
... would include Ambient Lighting as part of the Premium Package.
Would the puddle lights actually increase the illumination, or just modify the lighting to incorporate Porsche?

I do not care about the $330, and I do not want to consider the warranty implications of the various aftermarket options.
(I love various types of mechanical fiddling, especially mounting up ski mountaineering bindings, but that's only with my life on the line, not an expensive vehicle.)

The prospect of projecting anything Porsche onto the ground has me aghast, but I do like the add'l illumination.
(My Audi A6 Allroad projects the model name onto the ground, which is already bad enough -- the rings would have been cool though, but even better would have been projecting "Subaru Outback" just to fake out everyone and fit in better here in New England! Maybe I could rebadge a 4CT w/ "Subaru Outback" and tell everyone it's a protype? Or an upcoming Tesla model, that would also work well.)
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
It’s occasionally handy for wet roads and minor obstructions on the ground when it’s dark. Otherwise, it’s merely cool and not practical. I would get it!

OP
OP
Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
^ So the puddle light option actually provides more illumination than with just the ambient lighting feature?

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
It’s occasionally handy for wet roads and minor obstructions on the ground when it’s dark. Otherwise, it’s merely cool and not practical. I would get it!
Yes. Ditto. I have the "Porsche" ones and I actually quite like it. It's about the only place on the car that says it, other than the pretty subtle rear end badge integrated into the brake light.

You can do aftermarket bespoke ones as well, so you can actually have them say whatever you'd like.

https://pimpmyev.com/products/custom-led-door-projector-puddle-lights-for-porsche

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
^ So the puddle light option actually provides more illumination than with just the ambient lighting feature?
Yes, it's a light that shines on the ground from under the opened front doors. Without a puddle light it is dark.

RSouthern

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS and several others and 2 MCs
Country flag
I think the puddle lights are ok, but would prefer a pattern instead of the Porsche script. Our BMW X7 has several stripes that are projected from the side skirts under the front doors. My dad has a Genesis and the projectors are in the mirror. On the Taycan, the projector is a small section of the red position light that wraps around into the inner door. It looks like a small clear circle with the image printed in it that the light source in that red door light shines clear light through. On my GTS the logo is blurry on the front door and clear on the back door. Having the dealer check this out, probably a factory defect. I'm not sure it's worth it, but it's only a few hundred dollars so I guess it just depends on your preference. I've attached the picture showing the blurry front image so you can decide if you like the presence.

Porsche Taycan Puddle Lights, Practicality Thereof (U.S. market) 20230815_202413

OP
OP
Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
^ Thanks for the clarifications everyone! And pretty wild that I actually could get aftermarket puddle lights that say "Subaru Outback" (if not perhaps for trademark issues).

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the puddle lights are ok, but would prefer a pattern instead of the Porsche script. Our BMW X7 has several stripes that are projected from the side skirts under the front doors. My dad has a Genesis and the projectors are in the mirror. On the Taycan, the projector is a small section of the red position light that wraps around into the inner door. It looks like a small clear circle with the image printed in it that the light source in that red door light shines clear light through. On my GTS the logo is blurry on the front door and clear on the back door. Having the dealer check this out, probably a factory defect. I'm not sure it's worth it, but it's only a few hundred dollars so I guess it just depends on your preference. I've attached the picture showing the blurry front image so you can decide if you like the presence.

20230815_202413.jpg
that is likely a fairly easy fix, the projection mask seems to be slightly out of position. it may take a tech all of 5 mins to fix. good luck.

OP
OP
Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
^ Looks sharp! Plus not to flashy since almost nobody knows what a Taycan is. I could just tell people here that it’s a new model from Subaru or Tesla.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
for me it's a must have option on my Porsche's - not for the branding - but it does provide a visual reference when stepping out of the vehicle at night - I appreciate the visual reference and often times provides a valuable sanity check to avoid literal mis-steps getting out the car…it helps gauge distance so you can get out of the vehicle more safely…

easiest $330 option on the list IMHO - for me it's a personal safety issue - I also like the "look" - but the extra visual reference is the main appeal for me personally.

OP
OP
Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
^ Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking. (Unless you're also going to tell me that the color-matched leather-wrapped fuse box is a safety issue!)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
^ Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking. (Unless you're also going to tell me that the color-matched leather-wrapped fuse box is a safety issue!)
ROFL - no I'm not - I actually saw two options the other day at the Monterey Porsche dealer car show on monday the 14th…

leather fuse box panel
leather AC vents

I didn't care for the look on either of them - and those options remain on my personal "do not check that box" list…and now that I've seen them in person on an actual vehicle build I'm even more confident in my opinion on this matter…

I'm a sucker for most of porsche's check boxes, but some of them - yeah not for me…and the cost - OMG the cost of some of these options…

puddle lights are on the "list" of approved options and have an actual practical value - the rest is all personal taste :p

OP
OP
Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
^ Wait, what, the leather fuse box panel is for real? I thought that was a parody by another poster. I must not be scrolling through that section of the configurator carefully enough!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
^ Wait, what, the leather fuse box panel is for real? I thought that was a parody by another poster. I must not be scrolling through that section of the configurator carefully enough!
not sure on Taycan but it is on 911's and such…

Porsche Taycan Puddle Lights, Practicality Thereof (U.S. market) Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 7.52.31 AM
Sponsored