Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
This week I received my new Valentine 1 Gen 2 radar detector. I wanted to hardwire it, but didn't want to use the mirror tap. I decided to use a fuse tap to power the V2G2. The fuse box is located in the driver's footwell for US cars. Row C, slot 8 is the fuse for the Interior Mirror. The power switches on and off with the "ignition". The pink plastic covers that cover the fuses are a pain to remove. I called the dealership to ask how to remove it. I got a long speech about how it is a high voltage electric car and I shouldn't be touching anything in the fuse box. It was a useless and clueless conversation. I found a black tab at the end of the pink plastic. Even after releasing the tab, it is not easy to remove the pink cover. I broke the tab on row A. It won't make a difference since the fuses are well seated just like every other car.

*EDITED August 1, 2021 - Installation of the fuse tap is still correct, but pic 7 was edited to correct the identification of the load and hot slots/blades of the fuse - thanks @911jeff

Fyi, currently the V1 Gen2 is mounted on the windshield just above the mirror instead of the visor mount in pic 1

Here some pictures.

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box V1G2-1

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box V1G2-2

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box V1G2-3

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box V1G2-4

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box V1G2-4b

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box V1G2-4c

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box V1G2-5

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box V1G2-6

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box V1G2-7

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box V1G2-8

Last edited:

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
@wemct, your instructional turned a job that I had been dreading into a piece of cake. Thank you!

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
@wemct thanks for this helpful information. As a quick question, do you have the thermally and noise insulated glass? I’ve heard this wreaks havoc with many radar detectors. I was thinking about mounting the detector in the non-insulated section near the mirror housing and hoping for the best.

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@wemct thanks for this helpful information. As a quick question, do you have the thermally and noise insulated glass? I’ve heard this wreaks havoc with many radar detectors. I was thinking about mounting the detector in the non-insulated section near the mirror housing and hoping for the best.
I have the standard glass. I think a small detector like the Radenso Pro M will work in the non insulated area. Good luck. My V1Gen2 seems like it would be okay too. I feel much better running the Taycan with the detector. Waze has become too spotty lately.

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@wemct

Thanks for this

Do the wires tuck in or do you have to remove pieces of trim?

And if you remove trim is there a trick about not breaking the clips?
Like you, I was also wary of breaking clips. That was the main reason why I didn't want to do the mirror tap method. The only panels that I removed were the covers to the fuse panels that you see in the pictures. The one for the foot well can be removed by getting your fingers under one side and gently getting the clips to release. The higher panel on the side of the dash I started on the side where it meets the doors and used a stiff piece of plastic card to avoid damaging the leather with anything too sharp. Everything else on the A pillar, door weather seal and roof trim were done by tucking the wire without removing anything.

Todd

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 taycan 4s
Country flag
This week I received my new Valentine 1 Gen 2 radar detector. I wanted to hardwire it, but didn't want to use the mirror tap. I decided to use a fuse tap to power the V2G2. The fuse box is located in the driver's footwell for US cars. Row C, slot 8 is the fuse for the Interior Mirror. The power switches on and off with the "ignition". The pink plastic covers that cover the fuses are a pain to remove. I called the dealership to ask how to remove it. I got a long speech about how it is a high voltage electric car and I shouldn't be touching anything in the fuse box. It was a useless and clueless conversation. I found a black tab at the end of the pink plastic. Even after releasing the tab, it is not easy to remove the pink cover. I broke the tab on row A. It won't make a difference since the fuses are well seated just like every other car.

Here some pictures.

View attachment 7224

View attachment 7225

View attachment 7226

View attachment 7227

View attachment 7228

View attachment 7229

View attachment 7230

View attachment 7231

View attachment 7232

View attachment 7233
Dude. So awesome you posted this. I did it step by step as you instructed. Perfection. Thx for making it so easy!!!!

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are also a panel on the passenger side... I did a fuse tap there for a switch in an unused fuse slot on the bottom row for my dash cam and qi charger/stand...

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
There are also a panel on the passenger side... I did a fuse tap there for a switch in an unused fuse slot on the bottom row for my dash cam and qi charger/stand...
To further help and assist this thread can you state the fuse number/location or, even better, take a picture?
I appreciate each car has its own raft of options which will influence whether there is a fuse there or not, but this could really help someone & at worst it will indicate another permanent or switched live within the fuse box.

Thanks

Drew Webb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 GT2, Tesla Model X, Maserati Quattroporte
Country flag

Here some pictures.

View attachment 7224

View attachment 7225

View attachment 7226

View attachment 7227

View attachment 7228

View attachment 7229

View attachment 7230

View attachment 7231

View attachment 7232

Excellent instructions - thank you. What size fuse tap did you use?

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Drew Webb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 GT2, Tesla Model X, Maserati Quattroporte
Country flag
@Drew Webb My car is currently in the shop so I can't take a look. I don't remember off the top of my head which of the three sizes of the fuse tap I used. I wasn't sure before I did the installation, so I ordered a variety set from Amazon. Here is the link (I think it was the middle size that I used).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HQ1VTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks @wemct - sorry to hear your car is in the shop. Hope nothing serious? Still waiting for my mamba green (like yours by looks of pictures) 4S to be released from port in RI. Excited for a great Xmas present after such a tough year!

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @wemct - sorry to hear your car is in the shop. Hope nothing serious? Still waiting for my mamba green (like yours by looks of pictures) 4S to be released from port in RI. Excited for a great Xmas present after such a tough year!
Your 4S will be a blast and a great Christmas gift. Mamba Green is so awesome. I get comments (positive) about the color every time I drive it. I noticed that you have a Quattroporte. My Taycan replaced my Quattroporte as my daily driver. I enjoyed waking up the neighborhood with my cold starts, but as you know EVs are also a blast. I had a very low speed fender bender (5 mph), but it was over $10k of damage so be mindful of the initial torque.

Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box 20201117_074822_resized_1
Sponsored