JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
So I took my RWD out on a long road trip for the first time. Cape May NJ to Harrisburg PA. The car handled amazingly I and loved the Innodrive which I kept on for nearly the whole trip. I rested my arm on the door arm rest and lightly rested one hand on the wheel and let the car go and I loved every min. of the "near self drive"!
One odd thing happened that scared the crap out of my wife and I. While in range mode I had the max speed set to 75MPH and as stated above stayed in Innodrive mode most of the trip. While cruising at 73MPH 3/4 the way into our trip the car hard braked, dropped to 55MPH and the battery level dropped to 1%. Thankfully no one was near us at the time, I tried pressing the peddle to go faster but it would not respond. I then took the car out of range mode and placed it in normal mode. The car went back to 73MPH and the battery level returned to 41%. I kept it in normal mode the balance of the trip.
On my return I repeated the same setting and thankfully no "range" glitch on the trip back home.
I now have just over 600 miles on the car and its been a joy to drive whenever I use it.
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: B61

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So I took my RWD out on a long road trip for the first time. Cape May NJ to Harrisburg PA. The car handled amazingly I and loved the Innodrive which I kept on for nearly the whole trip. I rested my arm on the door arm rest and lightly rested one hand on the wheel and let the car go and I loved every min. of the "near self drive"!
One odd thing happened that scared the crap out of my wife and I. While in range mode I had the max speed set to 75MPH and as stated above stayed in Innodrive mode most of the trip. While cruising at 73MPH 3/4 the way into our trip the car hard braked, dropped to 55MPH and the battery level dropped to 1%. Thankfully no one was near us at the time, I tried pressing the peddle to go faster but it would not respond. I then took the car out of range mode and placed it in normal mode. The car went back to 73MPH and the battery level returned to 41%. I kept it in normal mode the balance of the trip.
On my return I repeated the same setting and thankfully no "range" glitch on the trip back home.
I now have just over 600 miles on the car and its been a joy to drive whenever I use it.
A little scary.

InnoDrive and the other speed detection features (speed limiter etc) are dependent on correct signage and mapping data. Sometimes this can be off / incorrect due to wrong or out of date mapping data or a temporary road signage causing the car to react in the manner described. For this reason I disable speed sign recognition as it can't be relied upon and in many ways dangerous as a result.

Worth looking at other tweaks in the InnoDrive config to limit these situations.

OP
OP
JRNJTAYCAN

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A little scary.

InnoDrive and the other speed detection features (speed limiter etc) are dependent on correct signage and mapping data. Sometimes this can be off / incorrect due to wrong or out of date mapping data or a temporary road signage causing the car to react in the manner described. For this reason I disable speed sign recognition as it can't be relied upon and in many ways dangerous as a result.

Worth looking at other tweaks in the InnoDrive config to limit these situations.
Hi,

I do not use the speed limiter and I always keep the sign recognition off. I had it on the very first time I ever used InnoDrive and did not like how the car reacted.
The strange thing with this glitch was I was on an open highway with posted signs of 70MPH with no changes in sight when it happened. The good news was it did not happen on the ride back.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have InnoDrive in the Taycan and similar feature in our Audi etron Prestige. I drive with my right foot lightly on the accelerator pedal to midigate any slowdown the feature may cause. There can be places where the speed limit reduces and monitoring by police can get you a ticket if you don't slow down. The false slowdowns caused by exlit lane and bicycle path speed signs are small compared to its otherwise compliance with real speed signs. With over 30K miles of driving with these sustems active I have never once experienced phantom braking.

OP
OP
JRNJTAYCAN

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have InnoDrive in the Taycan and similar feature in our Audi etron Prestige. I drive with my right foot lightly on the accelerator pedal to midigate any slowdown the feature may cause. There can be places where the speed limit reduces and monitoring by police can get you a ticket if you don't slow down. The false slowdowns caused by exlit lane and bicycle path speed signs are small compared to its otherwise compliance with real speed signs. With over 30K miles of driving with these sustems active I have never once experienced phantom braking.
A one time experience is plenty for me, hope it never happens again.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
This can also happen if in range mode and a map update occurs. While the update is being applied I've seen the car brake and because its range mode - it also sets the maximum speed to be 60 km/h and pressing accelerator does nothing.

I don't like it and don't use range mode and innodrive together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JRNJTAYCAN

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This can also happen if in range mode and a map update occurs. While the update is being applied I've see the car brake and because its range mode - it also sets the maximum speed to be 100 km/h and pressing accelerator does nothing.

I don't like it and don't use range mode and innodrive together.
Now that you say this, that is what happened. Right after the map said updated

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, its a really disturbing behaviour.

When are you using range mode and innodrive together? Usually when on a road-trip/long journey – the very time you're in new areas and likely to get map updates.

So the scenario will actually happen more frequently right when you want to use these features!

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Does the map update as you drive to a new area? I didn’t realise it was area specific

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does the map update as you drive to a new area? I didn’t realise it was area specific
It does. The car has high-level map data for most of Europe but low-level detailed data is brought in dynamically as you enter new areas.

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
everytime we switch into Range it turns off that screen.
But you can still keep passengers’ screen in Range mode if you want.
Don’t you get yes/no question?
i prefer Range mode since it’s just one click…while Individual mode requires three clicks :angel:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
i prefer Range mode since it’s just one click…while Individual mode requires three clicks
Double energy savings. Once for using range and and once for less clicks. Extra efficient.
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: B61