Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
If you don't want the pre-heat to occur either disable the timer or edit to disable the pre-heat.
I got a notification on my phone this morning that at 11pm last night my car ‘Pre cooled / pre heated’. I wasn’t using or planning to use the car last night. The car was not connected to my EVSE.

I do have a PCM charging timer set since I get a power discount from 11pm to 6am.

I’m wondering if I have something set incorrectly on the timer which is wasting energy to pre heat the car when it’s not needed. I though it was set so that pre heat starts when I unlock the doors. I need to check this later on today.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The pre-heat on unlocking is separate to any pre-heat set on an active Timer (when connected to an EVSE or not). In the former the pre-heat only lasts for 5 mins and up to 60 minutes when activated via a Timer.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is what I see. I do have Precool/heat turned off yet my car pre heated last night. I screen shot the message on my phone and it says '11:10pm Air conditioning, The temperature adjustments in your vehicle have been completed'.

Porsche Taycan Range Problem taycan_1

Edit: when I looked at my Timer, I do see 'Preheat/cool' turned on. But I thought this was only when the car was plugged in:
Porsche Taycan Range Problem taycan_2

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Here is what I see. I do have Precool/heat turned off yet my car pre heated last night. I screen shot the message on my phone and it says '11:10pm Air conditioning, The temperature adjustments in your vehicle have been completed'.

taycan_1.png

Edit: when I looked at my Timer, I do see 'Preheat/cool' turned on. But I thought this was only when the car was plugged in:
taycan_2.png
No - Timers are independent if connected to your EVSE or not. If not then the timer will kick in, attempt to charge but realise its not connected and move on to the next task which in this case is to Precool / heat.

OP
OP

TDA

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 2019 BMW X5, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
So today it was my first day with A/C on eco and no pre-heat. It bumped a full charge 100% up to 368 km range.

Waiting to see if the usage will be better.

Porsche Taycan Range Problem F463EF25-CBAB-42E0-B1EC-12CC4D0826B3

I am not fully satisfied yet. It must come up over 400 km range. It is not that cold in Denmark yet. And I have the performance battery plus.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
@TDA are you parked in a garage or outside? What temp is your battery when you leave in the morning?

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No - Timers are independent if connected to your EVSE or not. If not then the timer will kick in, attempt to charge but realise its not connected and move on to the next task which in this case is to Precool / heat.
So, I should turn OFF the 'Timer' -> 'Precool/heat' button? This will prevent the car from heating at night when I'm not driving?

Not that this is apples to apples, but I see something similar with my Tesla model Y: in the winter when I turn off the car after arriving home, the heat pump continues to run for about an hour for no reason. According to Tesla, this is to keep the battery at a 'good' operating temperature. But to me this wastes energy by keeping the battery warm for no reason. I have been complaining to Tesla about this and so far, no change.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So, I should turn OFF the 'Timer' -> 'Precool/heat' button? This will prevent the car from heating at night when I'm not driving?

Not that this is apples to apples, but I see something similar with my Tesla model Y: in the winter when I turn off the car after arriving home, the heat pump continues to run for about an hour for no reason. According to Tesla, this is to keep the battery at a 'good' operating temperature. But to me this wastes energy by keeping the battery warm for no reason. I have been complaining to Tesla about this and so far, no change.
Yes toggle the preheat to off and save but leave the rest of the timer as is as it won't charge if not connected to your EVSE.

You could create.another timer - one for charging and preheating (when EVSE connected) and another with preheat toggled off. Then you can activate either timer depending on whether you want to charge and preheat or not.

Preheat when EVSE connected can be good practice to get the best range but pointless if not.

The other option is to preheat en route to a public DC charger for faster charging. That's another topic however and requires using your Nav to do so

Rona

First Name
Rona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan - Cayenne
Country flag
If not then that will explain your range being < 200 miles @ 100% battery charge at this time of year.

It may be not what you expect but it is normal.
Thank you - if it was 200 miles I might be happier - today it’s 186 on full overnight charge - it’s anything but cold. I read they’re getting -31° in Canada and they still get more than me ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thank you - if it was 200 miles I might be happier - today it’s 186 on full overnight charge - it’s anything but cold. I read they’re getting -31° in Canada and they still get more than me ?
Yes but I think your have the Performance Battery and not the Performance Battery Plus (£4K option), is that correct?

You also have the 21" Exclusive Design Wheels which won't help (reduces range by 20 miles).

Porsche Taycan Range Problem 1641987072237

If so then that would be your range for this time of year so pretty much bang on.

Above estimate is based on the parameters you see. If you do 100% motorway driving you can expect up to 183 miles, 100% city driving up to 166 miles, and if 100% country roads driving you can expect up to 203 miles when the ambient temperature is 15C.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Range will also improve a bit once the car is fully broken in. I hear the regen breaking is also deliberately reduced when the car is new to allow the brakes to be "Set in"
Sponsored