[Rant] Chevy Bolts and Mustang Block-E's on the 350kW units!!

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
It is impossible to convince people to behave in a civilised manner (nearly) anywhere in the world.
I would definitely be in favour of a more radical price discrimination. The time-based price component is too little.

HPC stations are limited and sometimes crowded. Allowing 'chevy bolts' to charge at 350kW stations consistently below the station's deliverable power means that the operator cannot maximise its revenues. IMHO It would be sufficient to replace the time-based pricing component with one based on how close the plugged car is to a target charging curve (e.g. taking the curve of a Taycan or GT e-tron as a reference up to 80-85%).

E.g. 20% to 40% the connected car 'must' absorb 260kwh (or the maximum power available at the station in that moment, whichever is lower). 40% to 60% x kwh and so on. If the car can't keep up it gets slapped with a nice 'per Kwh' surcharge. The Bolts would magically disappear. This would also deter most people from staying plugged until the battery is full.
How would you feel about a restaurant dynamically putting the price of your steak up, because you were drinking your red wine slower than the table next to you? 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
How would you feel about a restaurant dynamically putting the price of your steak up, because you were drinking your red wine slower than the table next to you? 🤷‍♂️

This is not a good analogy.

It would be better to ask yourself: how would you feel if you arrived at a restaurant that does not accept reservations with a group of six guests and all the tables that can accommodate six people are occupied by only one person per table (who does not pay for 6 meals)?

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

It would be better to ask yourself: how would you feel if you arrived at a restaurant that does not accept reservations with a group of six guests and all the tables that can accommodate six people are occupied by only one person per table (who does not pay for 6 meals)?
This is not a good analogy. Ive never had 6 friends.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

I can answer this first hand since we have 4 children and we often went to a restaurant where the only tables for 6 had been taken by 2 or 4 people often only having a long chat and coffee after a shop, bags strewn everywhere.

We got into the habit of eating early as the only way to get a table.

I strongly approve of restaurants who ask you to wait to be seated and take no shit from selfish wankers :)

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag

This analogy is, indeed, more apt but I still disagree - vehemently - with your proposed solution. Just because you brought more people/have a bigger, more expensive car doesn't entitle you to make anyone else move around. (The restaurant could add a surcharge to the bill of those people quietly minding their guiltless dinner when you decide to show up, and in doing so ensure those 'lone' customers would never return.)

Wake up earlier, or wait. You don't know the other person's circumstances. Oh, and pressure your provider/government/manufacturer to do better - more stations, equal power. You can't drive mass EV adoption by forcing everyone to understand "electrical charging power".

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
This analogy is, indeed, more apt but I still disagree - vehemently - with your proposed solution. Just because you brought more people/have a bigger, more expensive car doesn't entitle you to make anyone else move around. (The restaurant could add a surcharge to the bill of those people quietly minding their guiltless dinner when you decide to show up, and in doing so ensure those 'lone' customers would never return.)

Wake up earlier, or wait. You don't know the other person's circumstances. Oh, and pressure your provider/government/manufacturer to do better - more stations, equal power. You can't drive mass EV adoption by forcing everyone to understand "electrical charging power".
You have a fair point. But I am a neoclassical staunch proponent of congestion pricing strategy as a one of the ways of allocating scarce resources optimally. In this case it’s not about more expensive cars = more rights (though this would be fair in a taycan forum :p). It’s about optimizing the station efficiency while the user maximizes his own utility based on personal preferences (“person’s circumstances”). Clearly, if infinite power/stalls are available (“more stations-equal power” in your message) at any given time, this entire thread is moot. As it‘s currently not the case, having all HPC stalls occupied by laggards is a sub optimal scenario for the provider.

Revenue could be increased by adding a component of dynamic pricing and free up space for EVs with higher charging rates to increase the efficiency of the station. This can be done in several ways - mine was just an example, no need to “understand charging power”, one could charge not per kwh but per minute and tune the model to a similar outcome (eg adding a discount above 45 kWh charged, and so on).

You want to use the HPC stall to charge your iPhone, capped at 27W, go ahead and pay 0,7 usd per minute. You can still do it but quickly understand you d be in general better off doing it somewhere else.

Obviously, the provider would need to figure out the demand elasticity of different EVs/users, and the reaction to different prices, exactly your point about the lone customers abandonment rate.

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
You have a fair point. But I am a neoclassical staunch proponent of congestion pricing strategy as a one of the ways of allocating scarce resources optimally. In this case it’s not about more expensive cars = more rights (though this would be fair in a taycan forum :p). It’s about optimizing the station efficiency while the user maximizes his own utility based on personal preferences (“person’s circumstances”). Clearly, if infinite power/stalls are available (“more stations-equal power” in your message) at any given time, this entire thread is moot. As it‘s currently not the case, having all HPC stalls occupied by laggards is a sub optimal scenario for the provider.

Revenue could be increased by adding a component of dynamic pricing and free up space for EVs with higher charging rates to increase the efficiency of the station. This can be done in several ways - mine was just an example, no need to “understand charging power”, one could charge not per kwh but per minute and tune the model to a similar outcome (eg adding a discount above 45 kWh charged, and so on).

You want to use the HPC stall to charge your iPhone, capped at 27W, go ahead and pay 0,7 usd per minute. You can still do it but quickly understand you d be in general better off doing it somewhere else.

Obviously, the provider would need to figure out the demand elasticity of different EVs/users, and the reaction to different prices, exactly your point about the lone customers abandonment rate.
Now we're getting a bit closer - I think - in that, indeed, there should be a financial disincentive for 'inconsiderate abuse' (those users who willingly behave in an antisocial fashion). The problem, though, is that we're still in that precarious phase of EV adoption where incentives/carrots are expected, and disincentives/sticks are effectively blockers of growth, or even causes for regression. Put plainly, outside of densely populated areas (in the US, at least), charging stations are like oases - you get what you get, and you'll like it. You really don't want to punish someone for charging to full while in transit (an example of 'honest abuse/misuse'), nor a skeptical-but-adventurous local early EV adopter, who's looking for reasons to say "I knew an EV's not for me" after they get slapped for charging a Bolt in an Ultimate stall (gasp). (In fact, both these characters would say that maybe EVs aren't there yet..)

So this fear of losing EV consumers (idk about you, but I get bombarded with articles on how EVs are bad/it's all a scam), coupled with insufficiently-developed infrastructure trumps the logical impulse to punish abusers.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Seems to me that the anger at the users is misplaced (unless their actions are intentional, which I don’t understand them to be). It’s an infrastructure issue.

Education is not going to fix it.
I agree with @WasserGKuehlt that punitive measures aren’t necessarily the best step either.

I want @BigBob to eat too, even if no one except @007 will be his friend. 😭

The restaurant can have more flexible seating with smaller tables that can accommodate smaller parties or get pushed together for larger parties.

The equivalent here being all stations equally capable and load balancing. It costs a little more, but maybe it costs more to not suck.
Sponsored