Someone Educate Mustang Block E Drivers!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
One reason not all chargers are 350 is I am guessing the cooling hardware is much more significant at 350 rate than at 150. And with so few cars hitting and maintaining greater than 150 right now it’s an economic hard sell.
Sponsored

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
It's crazy how many parallels exist between when I drove a diesel Jetta in the US and EV driving. I expect the EU folks have far more diesel availability, but it wasn't uncommon in the US for there to only be a couple pumps at each station that would dispense diesel (in addition to regular). It was not uncommon for me to show up to the station to half the pumps open, but the diesel pumps were occupied by people in gas cars who would be confused why I didn't just take the open pumps. A few people had asked me about it and I'd mention it was a diesel car, and then they'd just move on with filling then leave.

Thankfully people only need a few minutes to fill up, so it wasn't a big deal, but having "special pumps" just isn't something the general public is good at dealing with here. The only real solution is to either make all chargers the same, or make the fast chargers somehow incompatible with the slower charging cars (but that would just be worse for everyone).

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I’d be upset if someone asked me to move, like mind your business and have some patience.
When I owned an e-tron SUV, I always charged at the 150 kW dispensers. I wouldn't have felt comfortable sitting at the 350 kW dispenser. The e-tron has trouble with short cords too, but somehow I could always make it work.

In the 45 minutes it takes a mach-e to charge from 10-80%, 2 or 3 800 volt class cars can be done and on their way. My patience requires your consideration.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
It reminds me of those idiots who fill their family mobiles with premium even tho the engines are tuned for regular gas 🤔

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I am really getting sick of these things making my charge stops longer by hogging 350kW pumps!!

It maxes out at 150kW guy!!

BCC0A1B5-378C-4CDE-93AD-B9D4DF102501.jpeg
Serious suggestion: keep a pack of post it notes in your car and a pen. Jot down a quick note their cars only need to charge on the 150kW chargers, stick it in their driver side windows and call it a day.

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
I think that while your complaints have some validity the real issue is that EA and the other providers are not installing enough chargers to keep up with the explosion of EVs hitting the road.

I don't have precise numbers but in the last year thousands of new EVs have been delivered but the numbers of chargers has not had an equivalent expansion. there are more manufacturers who have similar to porsche's arrangement that allows for free charging.

this lack of expansion of the chargers will cause congestion at the chargers and long waits.
I assume this is country and maybe even state specific, but for example in the US who/what is pushing EA and other providers to install more chargers? My naive thought is that by purchasing an EV, an average consumer is already contributing to this, as they're increasing the demand. Is it something that's on the government level?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Why don't the automakers do their bit by putting a label near the chargeport????
1656189452729.png
Perhaps because it is not true, easy to prove so, therefore would be ridiculed for it on the internet in no time?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I assume this is country and maybe even state specific, but for example in the US who/what is pushing EA and other providers to install more chargers? My naive thought is that by purchasing an EV, an average consumer is already contributing to this, as they're increasing the demand. Is it something that's on the government level?
I live in WA state, where each year, each EV pays a special government tax for public EV charging network. This is in addition to the EV road tax which is calculated as an equivalent of gasoline tax I would have paid had I driven 12K miles in some ICE car. So yes, I would expect the government to at least use the EV charging network tax money to build public chargers, but then again, it's the government, so they will most likely find a "better" use for it, like pay some family or friend millions to do some "research" on best color for the EV chargers, or some other BS like that (I have seen it done before with other government projects).

My opinion, governments should not be building the EV stations. They should incentivize building them, but stay out of actually building, owning, operating them.

Last edited:

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
The first one I was like "bad luck."
Second one I was like "this is really a problem EA needs to solve somehow."
By the third one I was pissed.

I lost an hour of time (or more) because of driver ignorance or selfishness.
How much time do you figure you lost at each of those charging stations by having to charge at 150 vs 350?

If you go off this graph, the charge time from 5-35% is 7 minutes. The same 30% of charge at 150kW is still only 11 minutes. A difference of only 4 minutes.

Another example is if a Taycan arrived at 25%SOC, the difference in charge time would only be a matter of 75 seconds vs a 150kW charger.

Porsche Taycan Someone Educate Mustang Block E Drivers! 56B7C00D-F4E1-4DA1-83FF-6D81FB2CD36D

I have personally run into this situation as well but knowing the relative insignificant difference, it’s not worth the time to even move vehicles let alone try explaining it to someone. I tried to once as well… End of the day, 350kW is also a bit overrated.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
If you go off this graph, the charge time from 5-35% is 7 minutes. The same 30% of charge at 150kW is still only 11 minutes. A difference of only 4 minutes.
I think some people have a observed higher kW deeper into the SoC than that graph shows, but your main point is still completely valid. My model I use (based on the above graph and adjusted based on user reports) shows 6 or 7 min difference over the entire charge.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Should just have the 350 kw chargers not work with 150 kw cars when functioning 150 kw chargers are available. After being forced to move enough times 150 kw users would quit pulling up to 350 kw chargers. Could all be done with software and vin recognition.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Should just have the 350 kw chargers not work with 150 kw cars when functioning 150 kw chargers are available. After being forced to move enough times 150 kw users would quit pulling up to 350 kw chargers. Could all be done with software and vin recognition.
What if the 150kW chargers happen to be full? The only option is to charge at 350 stations and then once all the cars at 150 left, someone is going to complain this idiot is taking up the 350 charger!
Joke aside, it’s just stupid to have 150 and 350 together.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Here's the full charge curve on an EA 150 kW unit (CT Turbo). As you can see, basically flat at 150kW to 73%. Only drops below 120 kW at 80%. Unless you want a super quick stop & go lower in the pack, a very good option: No need to precondition, lower charging losses, lower pack temps during the charge, and less energy expended bringing temps down after the charge. Saves energy and the battery.

Porsche Taycan Someone Educate Mustang Block E Drivers! taycan-cross-turismo-charging-curve

Porsche Taycan Someone Educate Mustang Block E Drivers! taycan-cross-turismo-charging-graph