Rear Seat Entertainment

Taycanharpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hey Taycanharpo just curious how the rear seat entertainment came out on your order. I'm getting mine at the end of February and Wondering how this looks inside. Got 2 kiddos that are definitely going to want to play separate things on those screens and wanted to ask if they are independent of each other?

Thanks

Ok well, too be honest I'm disappointed by the system.

So it's two screens running a custom Porsche OS.
The screens aren't removable, only the dealership can.
It includes two Bluetooth headsets, each with a separate holding case.

The cases don't fit anywhere, the storage in the doors are too small, so that's a first issue.

As for the screens, they are completely independent of each other, nor do they integrate with PCM in the front.

There are 3 sources. HDMI Input, Airplay/Chrome Cast, and a built in Netflix app.
I don't think there is any way to add apps like YouTube for example.

The screens feel very laggy when you control them.

As for connection, there are two methods.

First you can create a mobile hotspot on your smartphone, and then have the screens connect to that hotspot via WIFI. you need to do this separately on both screens.

I'm an iPhone user, so not sure how it works for Android.
But if you connect a screen(s) to the mobile hotspot on the iPhone you loose wireless Apple CarPlay connectivity. It seems to be one or the other.

Or you can connect to the car PCM WIFI, but I guess this means you would burn through the mobile data. In Europe the Porsche WIFI has a 7GB a month bundle, so not that much for streaming.

The sales person from the dealership told me you could download some episodes from Netflix to some local memory on the screens and then watch later offline. For example if you have access to your home WIFI when the car is parked in the garage. But I cant find the button to download episodes and make them available offline.

Another issue is found is that I cant seem to connect to both screens at once using my iPhone.
I did some reading, and Apple AirPlay 2 should support multiple devices, not sure if this is only for speakers and not for screens, or if the screens in the car are not AirPlay 2 compatible, but so far I haven't been able to connect to both at once. Meaning you need two smartphones to airplay to two devices.

I have to say, I was frustrated and haven't touched the screens for a few weeks now. Maybe I should try again and might have overlooked some things due to the fact that I was disappointed (fingers crossed that's the case). For this price I was expecting more, I could of easily had two iPads custom built in for the same budget.

As for your question, on watching two different things, I guess the way to go would be to connect to the Porsche WIFI and stream via Netflix. Not sure how good the bandwidth is (4g / 5g?).

Last thing, my daughter bumped her head pretty hard against the screen first time she got in the car, so head's up!
Sponsored

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
@Taycanharpo
Do you have any pictures of the interface? You can't control them at all from PCM? So if you want to turn it off or adjust the volume, you'll have to do it from each screen? What exactly does the Preparation for Rear Entertainment System provide? A USB port for the screen?

Sounds like there's zero benefit of this system than to just have a separate tablet for the kids to use in the back.

Taycanharpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
@Taycanharpo
Do you have any pictures of the interface? You can't control them at all from PCM? So if you want to turn it off or adjust the volume, you'll have to do it from each screen? What exactly does the Preparation for Rear Entertainment System provide? A USB port for the screen?

Sounds like there's zero benefit of this system than to just have a separate tablet for the kids to use in the back.
No it’s not integrated with the PCM

Yes control is via the screen itself

I’m assuming the preparation option is a connection port to mount the screens.
No idea how it looks as the screens came pre mounted and you can’t remove them.

Porsche Taycan Rear Seat Entertainment 26D61148-654B-42FE-8C3B-035D3A4EFD89

Porsche Taycan Rear Seat Entertainment 4A8C59D8-8BA4-4180-B4CF-FA0563149CA0

Porsche Taycan Rear Seat Entertainment 6E92865C-5B0A-4170-B9A0-70BE196F82FF

Porsche Taycan Rear Seat Entertainment D9FED2D3-9591-4407-9E51-F71B3F956086

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
No it’s not integrated with the PCM

Yes control is via the screen itself

I’m assuming the preparation option is a connection port to mount the screens.
No idea how it looks as the screens came pre mounted and you can’t remove them.
Thank you for posting the pictures. Looks to be an after thought from Porsche. I thought it would be more integrated with the backseat and PCM.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
The one in the Panamera used to show vehicle data like speed, rev's etc.

Porsche Taycan Rear Seat Entertainment 1672705988198

TheBuilder

First Name
Koko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover HSE, Chevy Colorado
Country flag
Ok well, too be honest I'm disappointed by the system.

So it's two screens running a custom Porsche OS.
The screens aren't removable, only the dealership can.

The cases don't fit anywhere, the storage in the doors are too small, so that's a first issue.

As for the screens, they are completely independent of each other, nor do they integrate with PCM in the front.

There are 3 sources. HDMI Input, Airplay/Chrome Cast, and a built in Netflix app.
I don't think there is any way to add apps like YouTube for example.

The screens feel very laggy when you control them.

As for connection, there are two methods.

First you can create a mobile hotspot on your smartphone, and then have the screens connect to that hotspot via WIFI. you need to do this separately on both screens.

I'm an iPhone user, so not sure how it works for Android.
But if you connect a screen(s) to the mobile hotspot on the iPhone you loose wireless Apple CarPlay connectivity. It seems to be one or the other.

Or you can connect to the car PCM WIFI, but I guess this means you would burn through the mobile data. In Europe the Porsche WIFI has a 7GB a month bundle, so not that much for streaming.

The sales person from the dealership told me you could download some episodes from Netflix to some local memory on the screens and then watch later offline. For example if you have access to your home WIFI when the car is parked in the garage. But I cant find the button to download episodes and make them available offline.

Another issue is found is that I cant seem to connect to both screens at once using my iPhone.
I did some reading, and Apple AirPlay 2 should support multiple devices, not sure if this is only for speakers and not for screens, or if the screens in the car are not AirPlay 2 compatible, but so far I haven't been able to connect to both at once. Meaning you need two smartphones to airplay to two devices.

I have to say, I was frustrated and haven't touched the screens for a few weeks now. Maybe I should try again and might have overlooked some things due to the fact that I was disappointed (fingers crossed that's the case). For this price I was expecting more, I could of easily had two iPads custom built in for the same budget.

As for your question, on watching two different things, I guess the way to go would be to connect to the Porsche WIFI and stream via Netflix. Not sure how good the bandwidth is (4g / 5g?).

Last thing, my daughter bumped her head pretty hard against the screen first time she got in the car, so head's up!
Thanks for the detailed info.

Uggg sounds frustrating even reading about it. Could have purchased 2 ipad airs and mounted it for 2k. Anyone with younger kids knows given them control may not be the best option on all occasions.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
One aspect to consider about the Rear Seat Entertainment option is that it will have been extensively crash tested and safe.

Any third-party mounting of tablets will not – and I'd imagine in a serious collision would result in the added danger of having iPad's coming loose and flying around the cabin.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
I used to have in the Panamera and they were very good, seems crazy that a system which is from 2017 looks better/more modern. Glad I did not spec it!

JKY

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ5, 2023 Taycan GTS ST (Dec Delivery)
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed info.

Uggg sounds frustrating even reading about it. Could have purchased 2 ipad airs and mounted it for 2k. Anyone with younger kids knows given them control may not be the best option on all occasions.
I never received any headphones!!!

Jouri W

First Name
Jouri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST / Audi Etron S-line
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I've read that there is a HDMI connector on the system... I know that you can connect a iPhone to a HDMI connector so maybe it's possible to connect this way. Many apps like Netflix, Prime etc have the possibility to download movies/series on your telephone ....

Than maybe you can watch movies without using data....

It's a bit oldskool but nonetheless a solution...

Porsche Taycan Rear Seat Entertainment HDMI-

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Anybody found any good iPad air frames? this clearly doesn’t work.
an ipad you can take into the house, charge it with netflix movies and go…

AGDunc

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Sprinter 4x4 Camper
Country flag
Given the prep is a paid option I’m wondering whether the smart move might be speccing that alone without the screens 🤔

My thought is that this might add additional USB points high up on the back of the seats, which could then be used to power something much more adaptable like an iPad. Finding a suitable mounting solution shouldn’t be impossible.

The above might be complete rubbish as the prep might just add proprietary connections, but it could be worth asking a dealer (I’d have done the same myself but didn’t think of this until after I locked my order)

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
Thank you! I’ve been looking for photos forever. Any chance you can take photos in daylight of the screens? Wanted a better look before my order locks!
Sponsored