Rear Spoiler Operation -- Leaving it extended manually?

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Might be a dumb question:

I see the rear spoiler can be manually extended.... if I do so, can I drive like that or will it throw an error message?

Have anyone done it? will the software override the manual extended spoiler and go back to adjust it by speed?

newbie owner over here....
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Might be a dumb question:

I see the rear spoiler can be manually extended.... if I do so, can I drive like that or will it throw an error message?

Have anyone done it? will the software override the manual extended spoiler and go back to adjust it by speed?

newbie owner over here....
You can only raise it manually for cleaning purposes. It will retract automatically at a certain speed if you forget to lower it.

No warnings etc

Raises to different degrees automatically depending on speed and drive mode selected.

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
I raise my Spoiler up quit a bit. It will stay up for quit some time and eventually drop back down. It varies how long and how many rides.
Lol
No error code has ever popped up yet.
Good Luck

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
So it won't stay up all the time if you set it manually?

I manually put mine up on my A7 all the time, but when you hit 75mph, it will go back to automatic up/down. And it also will go back down when the car is turned off and back on. I wish I could just choose to keep it up all the time but from what I'm reading here, you can't do that on the Taycan either.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So it won't stay up all the time if you set it manually?

I manually put mine up on my A7 all the time, but when you hit 75mph, it will go back to automatic up/down. And it also will go back down when the car is turned off and back on. I wish I could just choose to keep it up all the time but from what I'm reading here, you can't do that on the Taycan either.
Nope. It would interfere with aerodynamics otherwise.

No need either to advertise 'look at me I've got a spoiler' (I'm too old for that).

Lesson learned by Porsche from Panamera ST which has a flap in the roof spoiler and could be kept raised. Looked stupid IMHO and only did it once or twice

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
I mean, people say it interferes with the drive, but I cannot feel a difference on my A7 with it up or down - which has a similar body style. I just like the look, honestly. Spoilers add a touch of sport as long as they're not the 10ft high rice burner style.

Porsche Taycan Rear Spoiler Operation -- Leaving it extended manually? 1669735394935

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
I AGREE...
Why is it when someone has their own thought, wish or question. Some guy thinks he's better than everyone else and only his opinion matters???
He didn't ask for your opinion.
He just had a question.
Like I said before on here Opinions are like A Holes, keep yours too yourself...
Put your Spoiler up all you want. Your allowed your opinion too.
Up tight Biff n Buffy's opinion really doesn't matter. 🙌

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
I mean, people say it interferes with the drive, but I cannot feel a difference on my A7 with it up or down - which has a similar body style. I just like the look, honestly. Spoilers add a touch of sport as long as they're not the 10ft high rice burner style.

1669735394935.png
Now that's an Up Spoiler. Lol

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

1669735394935.png
You should do whatever looks good to you.

I believe the reason it stays down at lower speed is that it isn't needed to kill the lift and the stylist at Porsche presumably prefers the look with it down.

In general it is only at higher speed the aero makes much difference and IME on a Formula 1 car unless a small aero mod effects balance the driver doesn't feel it, just the stopwatch :).

For it to do much at all the flow needs to be attached as far as the spoiler too, back in the day most car's roofs were not a good enough aero shape to keep flow attached but the concentration on fuel economy over the last 20+ years has meant more work for the aerodynamicist and stylists who take it into consideration.

Most spoilers are bad for drag/fuel economy unless they re-attach flow which is rare. They kill lift so do lead to better stability at speed.

Whether one likes the look or not is a personal thing!

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I AGREE...
Why is it when someone has their own thought, wish or question. Some guy thinks he's better than everyone else and only his opinion matters???
He didn't ask for your opinion.
He just had a question.
Like I said before on here Opinions are like A Holes, keep yours too yourself...
Put your Spoiler up all you want. Your allowed your opinion too.
Up tight Biff n Buffy's opinion really doesn't matter. 🙌
This is a car forum, it's nothing BUT opinions. I can see why some would take it personal--after seeing your avatar, I can see why you'd want people to keep their opinions about extended wings to themselves.

Last edited:

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
Well I Disagree with you. Forum's aren't meant for opinions. There for people to ask questions and find out information or share information.
If you want to give your opinions go to Facebook.
At least we post pics of our Cars and have Avatars.
Your Blank mystermykee.
If you don't have anything Positive to say Don't say anything at all.

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
Well I Disagree with you. Forum's aren't meant for opinions. There for people to ask questions and find out information or share information.
Your Blank mystermykee.
People ask for opinions on here all the time, what colour, wheels, spec, model and so on. A forum is an exchange of ideas and views, to suggest there’s no place for opinion is to fundamentally misunderstand the very essence of a forum. Do they have Haynes manuals in the US?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Your Blank mystermykee.
What about giving opinions about opinions?

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
There is a big difference between someone asking how to do something versus someone just giving negative opinions and rude comments...

Don't you agree?
Sponsored