Recoup / Regen - Does it stay “fixed” on the last setting, or always reset to “off”?

Watchesandburgers

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’m coming from a Tesla Model S, which uses regenerative breaking to slow the car when lifting off the accelerator pedal. The brake pedal is purely for friction braking. I know the Taycan blends braking with the brake pedal between regen and friction braking, and that regen is configurable (on, off, auto). If the setting is changed to “on” or “auto,” does it stay that way for future drives, or does it reset to “off” every time?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Brake pedal regen is not configurable. It’s always on except for a short time after the the car first starts up (to clean the brakes), first few hundred miles after a brake change (to bed the brakes), or very low speed (near stopping).

What you are referring to is overrun recup (lift off regen). That always defaults to off when the car starts up because it’s off by default in normal and the car always starts in normal.

Reactions: B61

enzo5000

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, BMW E60 M5, BMW R1250GSA
Country flag
Yes, it always defaults to 'Normal". A little annoying, but if you have the Chrono Pack, it's just a couple of right twists on the drive mode wheel to get to your desired setting.

OP
OP
Watchesandburgers

Watchesandburgers

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Lift off regen. Right. That’s what I meant. Off by default. That’s a shame. I’m used to it with my Tesla and believe it’s “better” than coasting (my opinion, clearly not everyone’s). Is there any way to suggest some type of feature change such that it can stay in the “whatever the last set position was”? I’m sure not, but worth asking.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Lift off regen. Right. That’s what I meant. Off by default. That’s a shame. I’m used to it with my Tesla and believe it’s “better” than coasting (my opinion, clearly not everyone’s). Is there any way to suggest some type of feature change such that it can stay in the “whatever the last set position was”? I’m sure not, but worth asking.
Taycan overrun recup is not one pedal driving. It’s not strong enough for that. It’s more like engine braking, but frankly it not even that strong. So, even if on, it won’t be like your Tesla. You’re gonna need that second pedal. Or good insurance. Either one.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I’m coming from a Tesla Model S, which uses regenerative breaking to slow the car when lifting off the accelerator pedal. The brake pedal is purely for friction braking. I know the Taycan blends braking with the brake pedal between regen and friction braking, and that regen is configurable (on, off, auto). If the setting is changed to “on” or “auto,” does it stay that way for future drives, or does it reset to “off” every time?
It resets to off every time because the lift off recuperation setting affects emissions (such as they are in an EV) and allowing it to be changed permanently would be an illegal emissions defeat device.

Porsche is pretty adamantly against one-pedal driving and they seem to have the data showing what they do is more efficient, I doubt we'll see it ever in the Taycan.

I like the coasting, but I didn't come from another EV, so I didn't have any preconceptions on how it was "supposed to" work.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
By design (if not Euro regulations) the car defaults to Normal Drive mode (and related settings) when powered off. If you have Sport Chrono then you can of course dial in your Individual mode to set this amongst other settings if not enough just to press the recuperation button on the steering wheel.

sufcrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 996 Turbo, 968, 951S, 931
Country flag
and believe it’s “better” than coasting
You can get close to one pedal driving by setting it to "Auto", then it will work on distance sensor: coasting when the road is clear but slowing down (harder than normal lift off regen) when there's a car in front of you.

Configure "Individual" drive mode to have "Auto" and then when you step into the car, the first thing you do is turn the dial all the way to the right. It will stay Auto even if you change to any other drive mode afterwards.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
... if not enough just to press the recuperation button on the steering wheel.
Once you get familiar with the steering wheel button, it's very easy to toggle the recup and set it to Auto as well.

You can have fun learning the different settings and how they affect your driving style.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
You can get close to one pedal driving by setting it to "Auto", then it will work on distance sensor: coasting when the road is clear but slowing down (harder than normal lift off regen) when there's a car in front of you.

Configure "Individual" drive mode to have "Auto" and then when you step into the car, the first thing you do is turn the dial all the way to the right. It will stay Auto even if you change to any other drive mode afterwards.
Careful - the car won't stop with auto; you/the driver still need to adjust your braking to be safe (yourself, and those ahead or behind you).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Porsche is morally opposed to "heavy lift-off regen" - unless there is a change in leadership or sales problems they will never offer "one pedal" driving.

this is distinct from "regeneration during braking" - Porsche is 100% committed to effective, efficient, and heavy regeneration in conjunction with brake pedal usage - but performance cars need coasting and benefit from coasting because it allows easier and greater control of weight transfer which is essential for high performance driving - lift of heavy regeneration is very very difficult/impossible to have driver control of the weight transfer dynamics due to changes in momentum…

Porsche being a performance driver centric brand will always optimize for driver control vs. "easier driving"…

I would not hold out any hope to influence them differently

having driven both my Model 3 performance and Taycan on track and being an experienced track rat - porsche is not wrong - and the Model 3 performance while quick is less well controlled for weight transfer due to one pedal driving and no ability to defeat to regeneration…

Porsche is not wrong, but they are not optimizing for your feedback, nor do I expect them to change their minds on this topic any time soon.

OP
OP
Watchesandburgers

Watchesandburgers

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Porsche is morally opposed to "heavy lift-off regen" - unless there is a change in leadership or sales problems they will never offer "one pedal" driving.
Thank you for the well-reasoned and informative reply.
Sponsored