bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster S, 2022 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Plaid S
Country flag
Oh! I had no idea tbh because Tesla never did that unless you charged the car to 100%. Thanks!
Tesla never used brakes for 1 pedal driving regeneration, true. But Tesla never does *ANY* regeneration when you are touching the brake pedal (which is why you get far better efficiency for stop-and-go driving on a Tesla with 1 pedal driving ... Other EVs like Mustang Mach E, Bolt, Chevy Volt I've owned all use regeneration where feasible as well as actual brakes when you press the brake pedal).. I do recall several times almost driving my Tesla Model 3 straight into traffic when it was too cold or 100% charged so it did no 1 pedal deceleration at all ... IMO very dangerous to be trained that lift off accelerator will slow you down but not have it work 100% of the time...
Sponsored

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yeah lol i havent read a manual since I learned about manuals existed. I will say though Tesla is very good about notifying every little thing that happens in the car. It even tells you if your center console is open and to close it softly. Some may find it annoying but I find it to be more intuitive.
While I agree Tesla's interface is responsive and elegant (and best in class overall if you don't need Android Auto/Apple Car play for nav or music), the warnings about center console (and using wrong mechanism to open driver/front passenger doors from inside) were only there because the center console design was defective and it wouldn't stay down unless you feathered it gently (and because of a less-than-intuitive door release design). When I got my 2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD+ those were two features almost all front seat passengers had a good laugh about and one of the reasons when I test drove a 2021 Model Y I decided my money would go to Ford instead since they didn't redesign that for initial Y models (and since I couldn't go through another Tesla delivery disaster).

bergs

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan RWD, '20 Cayenne, '18 Model 3
Country flag
Tesla never used brakes for 1 pedal driving regeneration, true. But Tesla never does *ANY* regeneration when you are touching the brake pedal (which is why you get far better efficiency for stop-and-go driving on a Tesla with 1 pedal driving ... Other EVs like Mustang Mach E, Bolt, Chevy Volt I've owned all use regeneration where feasible as well as actual brakes when you press the brake pedal).. I do recall several times almost driving my Tesla Model 3 straight into traffic when it was too cold or 100% charged so it did no 1 pedal deceleration at all ... IMO very dangerous to be trained that lift off accelerator will slow you down but not have it work 100% of the time...
they added a software feature for 1-pedal driving to supplement with friction brakes recently so the behavior is more consistent when SOC is high, battery temp is low, etc or other conditions when regen power is limited. only a month or two ago, but its a nice adder, especially for me who starts every morning at the top of a hill!

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Silly question, but how can you tell when it’s using which method for braking?

Think about this too, the fact that you can't tell show just how good Porsche has nailed brake blending. Under hard deceleration it is much easier to tell though. But at that point, smoothness be damned, stopping asap needs to take priority over everything else.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I wanted to see if anyone else has this problem with their recuperation. Every morning I start my drive to go to work, there are a few stop signs before I get on the main road. My recuperation doesn't work until maybe I am about half a quarter mile out. The car only uses breaks instead of using recuperation as well.
By design and not an issue.

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
they added a software feature for 1-pedal driving to supplement with friction brakes recently so the behavior is more consistent when SOC is high, battery temp is low, etc or other conditions when regen power is limited. only a month or two ago, but its a nice adder, especially for me who starts every morning at the top of a hill!
Good for them! I was shocked they allowed this behavior to persist the 3 years I owned my model 3 but glad they have finally addressed the safety issue. I suspect they still don't do any battery regeneration from using the brake pedal as perhaps they thought that blending (Chevy did it well in volt/bolt, Ford not as well in Mach E) was too difficult to do well.
Sponsored