daveb3473

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Odd one. Driving my 4 CT yesterday (6000 miles on it) the power meter did not show recuperation in the grey ring of the power meter. Usually there is a grey ring for power and one for recuperation.
When starting off usually, the first 5 or so brakes are on the physical brakes and then recuperation takes over. This time the grey bar which indicates the amount of recuperation available started at about 5 degrees and gradually expanded to the full amount over about 20 miles of city driving. It was not constant either. It would be 20 degrees then drop to 10. Then back to 20 etc.
Worried there is an underlying issue?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Odd one. Driving my 4 CT yesterday (6000 miles on it) the power meter did not show recuperation in the grey ring of the power meter. Usually there is a grey ring for power and one for recuperation.
When starting off usually, the first 5 or so brakes are on the physical brakes and then recuperation takes over. This time the grey bar which indicates the amount of recuperation available started at about 5 degrees and gradually expanded to the full amount over about 20 miles of city driving. It was not constant either. It would be 20 degrees then drop to 10. Then back to 20 etc.
Worried there is an underlying issue?
Depending on conditions (weather, temp etc), braking recup should be available within a mile or so and indicated with the green bar.

What happens when you enable overrun recuperation - press the button on the steering wheel?

OP
OP
daveb3473

daveb3473

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Depending on conditions (weather, temp etc), braking recup should be available within a mile or so and indicated with the green bar.

What happens when you enable overrun recuperation - press the button on the steering wheel?
Yes - activated auto recuperation and made no change

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I was on 100% charge at the time, which is unusual as usually charge to 85%
That might explain your issue then- the car can only recuperate if there's unused capacity in the batteries to absorb the recuperated energy.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I was on 100% charge at the time, which is unusual as usually charge to 85%
if you are at 100% SOC there can be no recuperation, where would the the kw go?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Thanks - makes perfect sense - I should have figured!
It's surprised me on occasion (like yourself I rarely fully charge). It does mention the scenario in the handbook somewhere, but I'd have thought that the battery capacity being significantly larger than its usable capacity would have avoided this recuperation "feature".

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
This problem of what to do with excess energy is much more interesting on cars with one pedal driving. Certainly needed to be aware if SOC was 100% when starting a journey in my i3.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
But, unless starting at the top of a hill, the car should have already expended more energy than it will recuperate, even if starting at 100%. So, there should be “room”.

Is it more of a recup power limit at 100% or capacity calculation limitation at 100% (I.e. it can’t tell it has room)?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
But, unless starting at the top of a hill, the car should have already expended more energy than it will recuperate, even if starting at 100%. So, there should be “room”.

Is it more of a recup power limit at 100% or capacity calculation limitation at 100% (I.e. it can’t tell it has room)?
Might it be allowing for a worse-case scenario of prolonged downhill braking, to avoid the risk of starting to brake with max recup then losing that capability while still in the same braking event?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Might it be allowing for a worse-case scenario of prolonged downhill braking, to avoid the risk of starting to brake with max recup then losing that capability while still in the same braking event?
You’d think it could calculate that and transition to friction brakes as needed.