Regenerative braking finally working

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Only took 3800 miles before the car considered the brakes "bedded enough". Granted I do a lot of highway driving and we live in a rural area so I'm not using the brakes much but it still seems like a lot.

My electron mileage is considerably higher now. I was getting around 2.8 mi/kWh before. Now it's in the mid 3's.
Sponsored

Evpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022, Bolt 2020
Country flag
Only took 3800 miles before the car considered the brakes "bedded enough". Granted I do a lot of highway driving and we live in a rural area so I'm not using the brakes much but it still seems like a lot.

My electron mileage is considerably higher now. I was getting around 2.8 mi/kWh before. Now it's in the mid 3's.
Interesting, first time I've heard of this on the forum.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
News to me as well.

What I've observed is the first 1-2 stops per day go straight to the brakes, then regen works thereafter.

THAICAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4S / MG ZS EV
Country flag
I have done about 800 miles in my car. I get the impression the regenerative braking is not yet working when I use the footbrake. How will I know when it starts to work?

What are the tell-tale signs?

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
I have done about 800 miles in my car. I get the impression the regenerative braking is not yet working when I use the footbrake. How will I know when it starts to work?

I'm confused. Currently at ~300 miles. If there's no recuperation yet, what is the green band on the powermeter indicating when I'm braking?

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've spent time in both the 4S and the RWD version of the Taycan and there are some differences.

First and foremost, regen only occurs if there is capacity in the battery to receive the regen. So if your battery is fully charged, the car will not regen cause there's no capacity to store the electricity.

Second, coasting is more energy efficient than regen. I would say that this is part of the reason why range mode disables regen on throttle lift.

Now to see whether your taycan is regenning, set your center instrument cluster to "Power Meter". You'll see that around the speedometer there'll be a bar that goes around the cluster. When you give it more electrons to scoot, you'll see the green bar that goes around the cluster to indicate how much power you are using. When you regen, the bar will go the other way in a different color. If you look really carefully, you'll what the max capable regen and acceleration which is designated by the darkened bar.

Now the differences between the 4S and the RWD. I've noticed that in the RWD version, the regardless of the battery's SOC, the car won't regen until after a few minutes. Not sure why, I have no idea and can't think of a reason for this. In the 4S, you have regen immediately as long as you have the battery capacity.

I remember that Feye (?) in a previous post has some photos on this where he showed what the gauge looks like in both extremes. Full charge and no charge. Maybe he'll be kind enough to post it here too.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Well-known feature, but it typically takes only 500 miles or so before the regen gets activated. 3,500 miles sounds like a lot.
Yeah, I did not observe this, but it almost worked right out of the gate. Maybe because I did a few LC very early on?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

Observe the green bar in the power meter when you hit the break pedal.

Porsche Taycan Regenerative braking finally working 1632454592419

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I'm confused. Currently at ~300 miles. If there's no recuperation yet, what is the green band on the powermeter indicating when I'm braking?
Green bar = recuperation.
mine needed 450km (so less than 300miles)…and breaks feels completely different.
before, i had to push a lot….now, just a touch needed.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
This is because the system is designed to use brake only (no recuperation) to clean the rotor from rust and pads for the first few stops. Not sure how it determines when the brakes are clean, but on my commute the recuperation returns within a 1/2 mile of the same location every time.
My car experiences the same - between 1/2 mile and 1 mile the green recuperation line lights up indicating that it is working. I drive the same street/road almost every morning and can pinpoint the spot where the recuperation kicks in. Interesting.................earlier left foot braking while accelerating helps clean off the dust and the recuperation consequently begins earlier.
Sponsored