trogger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Golf R; Taycan wannabe (4S CT on order)
Country flag
I am working on a 4S CT order, which I guess will be a 2024 at this point, because it will deliver around September. I’ve seen several threads about Remote ParkAssist, which is a pricy option at $2550. I am interested in buying it for one reason only: it seems like the only way to get rear cross traffic alert.

I have cross traffic alert on my venerable 2017 Golf R, so it feels insane to get a car tripleish the price, much larger, and with worse visibility without that feature. I haven’t found too many examples where I used it in the last 6 or 7 years, but I do remember a couple of occasions where the beeping helped me spot an aggressive car passing while I was backing out.

The other ParkAssist features seem gimmicky. So here is my question: is $2550 worth it to get that extra cue every couple of years of a dangerous situation? Or not. What have others done? If you had the cross traffic alert on a previous car and did not spec it on the Taycan, did you miss it? What is the real-world visibility like when backing up?
Sponsored

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
My teslas never had cross-traffic alert and it was fine. Its honestly up to you if you want to pay the money for that "safety." Nobody here can place a value on that.

Did i spec that option on my Taycan? Yes. But pricing wasn't my main concern.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I am working on a 4S CT order, which I guess will be a 2024 at this point, because it will deliver around September. I’ve seen several threads about Remote ParkAssist, which is a pricy option at $2550. I am interested in buying it for one reason only: it seems like the only way to get rear cross traffic alert.

I have cross traffic alert on my venerable 2017 Golf R, so it feels insane to get a car tripleish the price, much larger, and with worse visibility without that feature. I haven’t found too many examples where I used it in the last 6 or 7 years, but I do remember a couple of occasions where the beeping helped me spot an aggressive car passing while I was backing out.

The other ParkAssist features seem gimmicky. So here is my question: is $2550 worth it to get that extra cue every couple of years of a dangerous situation? Or not. What have others done? If you had the cross traffic alert on a previous car and did not spec it on the Taycan, did you miss it? What is the real-world visibility like when backing up?
Never had it and don't miss it. Not worth the excessive premium IMHO.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
The price should be lower if you have the premium package, which in the US is basically a requirement on any Taycan spec. That takes about $1000 off the price of Remote ParkAssist.

Then on top of that if you're interested in it, in the US, I'd say just get the technology package. I had both in my car and loved it. ParkAssist also just worked really really well for any kind of parking. Good kerb detection even.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

Our Toyota Prius has it and it is a useful feature IME and I was a bit like you, disgusted that the car didn't have it and the price to get it. Like several of the options (it would have been about £10k extra to get the Taycan up to our Prius standard spec here in England).

I didn't get the option, because it also forces you to take comfort entry another paid option at an offensive price I didn't bother with.
I miss both to a small extent, and am still using the Prius sometimes instead of the Taycan. Mainly size and this alert in car parks, which won't be a problem in the US IME.

There is a panoramic mode in the rear super wide angle camera which doesn't give an audible warning - presumably why it was chosen over a less distorting one...

There are several irritating inadequacies of the Taycan I am able to put up with since it is such a good drive, and this is one of them.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have a similar dilemma. I back out on to a busy residential road, plus there is a pavement with frequent pedestrians to cross. I am currently going to spec Remote Park, just to get these extra safety features - it only needs to save one small prang!

In the UK it’s an effective £1k upgrade cost (assuming you were taking Comfort Access and LCA anyway).

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have it. I added it when I couldn’t get matrix head lights and decided to go for 14w seats with all leather instead of 18W with Olea and had some extra budget. Also had it on my BMW’s before

it works well. It also includes side protection: you can’t open the door if a car or bike is approaching. A red light shows at the door handle and the handle doesn’t work. That’s why comfort entry is needed. And I think it also adds another safety feature on crossings and 3D surround view for parking.

It’s a lot of money for a electronic feature. Kind of stupid it is not standard with surround view parking like in other cars. But it does work and has warned me for dangerous situations.

Maybe I should have taken torque vectoring instead of this option.

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
Cheaper and safer to reverse into a parking space or driveway whenever possible, although the charge port location is going to make that challenging when my GTS arrives.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Cheaper and safer to reverse into a parking space or driveway whenever possible, although the charge port location is going to make that challenging when my GTS arrives.
Born and bred reverse parker!

Conditioned this way as a consequence of working in a safety conscious Oil & Gas sector.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Whether I go in backwards or forwards depends entirely on the environment surrounding the space I am going into.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My preference has always been an elegant backup into the parking space but with the charging ports up in front, that might have to change soon...
Sponsored