First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Ouch! I don’t agree with you.
I think his reviews are very good, and he is not a one brand man.
That's the wonder of opinion :cool: I watch far far too many car review/YouTube shows and his are on the flashy/not as informed side of things compared to others who are well researched and/or have a bunch of experience behind them. But, that's my opinion 👍 I know he's not a one-brand person, that's not why I'm not a huge fan :)

mmm says the 4s is the sweet spot but only bought it because the wait time was too long for a GTS.
Well I get what he is saying. You don't need anything more than a 4S on the road, but I'm not sure he actually wanted the car tbh. I wonder what prompted him to get this instead of the Cross, maybe a very good deal with Porsche for some exposure, considering some of the episode is dedicated to bigging them up. He probably also wanted something else/new to do content on too. Reading is cool now though, I will admit.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am not sure what function this sort of video fulfils personally.

Almost everything is personal opinion and therefore probably not relevant for anything but spending time on the internet.

If somebody who doesn’t know that much about cars gets the wrong end of the stick from his “must haves” it is positively negative, if you see what I mean.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
That's the wonder of opinion :cool: I watch far far too many car review/YouTube shows and his are on the flashy/not as informed side of things compared to others who are well researched and/or have a bunch of experience behind them. But, that's my opinion 👍 I know he's not a one-brand person, that's not why I'm not a huge fan :)

Well I get what he is saying. You don't need anything more than a 4S on the road, but I'm not sure he actually wanted the car tbh. I wonder what prompted him to get this instead of the Cross, maybe a very good deal with Porsche for some exposure, considering some of the episode is dedicated to bigging them up. He probably also wanted something else/new to do content on too. Reading is cool now though, I will admit.
Impulse buy I would say. He wanted a ST and it was available. I agree sweet spot will vary for each person but just saying that he wanted a GTS and had the 4S because her couldn't get a GTS so for him the GTS must be the sweet spot. Also he never mentioned RWS which is surely a must have.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
You must be joking.
I was. But you get my point.

Emma Raducanu is a 20 year old tennis player.

She is one of Porsche's official "brand ambassadors".

The average age of a Porsche owner is 50.

It's just weird - and I work in marketing. She would be better off being a brand ambassador of the Fiat 500, or sticking with fashion and jewellery.

People like Raz are much more relevant for Porsche marketing department to engage, not least as many Porsche owners can actually relate to him, where Emma is there squarely for the visual appeal (for 50 year old men)...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

It's just weird - and I work in marketing. She would be better off being a brand ambassador of the Fiat 500, or sticking with fashion and jewellery.

People like Raz are much more relevant for Porsche marketing department to engage, not least as many Porsche owners can actually relate to him, where Emma is there squarely for the visual appeal (for 50 year old men)...
This could be long term marketing, setting up the brand as the dream car brand for the next generation. No different than giving a 12 year old a poster of a Porsche to put on their bedroom wall.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This could be long term marketing, setting up the brand as the dream car brand for the next generation. No different than giving a 12 year old a poster of a Porsche to put on their bedroom wall.
Luxury marques have always done that, for example, they are made into Matchbox and RC toys, they feature in video games, films, posters, TV shows. All of that is very subtle marketing. And it is done precisely to capture brand equity from a young age, so if any child grows up successful, they can get the car of their 'childhood dreams'.

Porsche then decides to throw that playbook out the window and sign up a mediocre 20 year old tennis player... to inspire who exactly?

Among the young women I know, they could not care less about Raducanu, much less tennis. Among the young men I know, she's "hot". Among the old men I know, we are back to it being weird again... 😂

If Porsche want to appeal to the younger generation, it is influencers and not sports stars who have the sway. They'd be better off loaning cars to Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner or Selena Gomez if they really want to capture a new (female?) customer.

They should also get a Lego Technic set out soon as well. Bugatti, Lambo and Ferrari have done it. Nothing more than marketing again.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They did, I guess you missed it.
I've seen it, it's just not a "flagship" kit like the Bugatti, Ferrari or Lambo. Has half the pieces as one thing. As another, it's a non descript model. They should have kept it as a road legal 911 Turbo.

Perhaps the next kit Lego will release it will be that, and a flagship model... and the character you can build to sit in the seat will be none other than Ms Raducanu.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

She has 2.5 million instagram followers and the top ranked players don’t come close. It’s likely she also comes cheap and is unlikely to cause controversy, which is more than can be said for a lot of young people in the spotlight. Case solved.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
She has 2.5 million instagram followers and the top ranked players don’t come close. It’s likely she also comes cheap and is unlikely to cause controversy, which is more than can be said for a lot of young people in the spotlight. Case solved.
Porsche pay her $1.5m annually. I wouldn't call that cheap for what is essentially a mascot. Her IG following is miniscule compared to other female influencers, if we assume women is who Porsche is trying to appeal to.

Curiously, she has the same agent as Anna Kournikova.

Remember her?...

I should imagine the Porsche execs just thought it was strategic for no other reason than it provides some VIP perks at the major tennis tournaments.

I will now close my case.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche pay her $1.5m annually. I wouldn't call that cheap for what is essentially a mascot. Her IG following is miniscule compared to other female influencers, if we assume women is who Porsche is trying to appeal to.

Curiously, she has the same agent as Anna Kournikova.

Remember her?...

I should imagine the Porsche execs just thought it was strategic for no other reason than it provides some VIP perks at the major tennis tournaments.

I will now close my case.
Sounds like Porsche marketing doesn’t know what they’re doing! They should have hired you, presumably a well-off middle aged white man, in order to be able to influence the brand impression and buying preferences of other well-off middle aged white men, which, according to my local PCA experiences, is a demographic Porsche is severely missing. 😉

Last edited:

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
The Porsche marketing team know what they are doing.
Raducanu is a good fit for the brand. She comes across well, plenty of years a head of her, already won an American open (an amazing feat in itself) and very influential.
More important is they want to appeal to a younger, more “trendy” crowd.
The 50+ male just isn’t a great look for brand association. They are planning for the next generation of enthusiasts.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like Porsche marketing doesn’t know what they’re doing! They should have hired you, presumably a well-off middle aged white man, in order to be able to influence the brand impression and buying preferences of other well-off middle aged white men, which, according to my local PCA experiences, is a demographic Porsche is severely missing. 😉
For your information I am non-binary, cross dressing black woman who's a Scientologist.