johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Does anyone know if the GTS ride is stiffer than a 4S? Or just how the ride feels in general? I know it comes equipped with the air suspension but I wasn’t sure if that means the ride comfort can also be adjusted. It’ll be my daily driver so I’d love to be able to switch between stiff/sporty and smooth/family drives.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Same system as per all other Taycans with air suspension.

The shock absorbers as controlled by PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) will be set slightly stiffer in each of the settings - Normal, Range, Sport, Sport Plus (and Gravel for the CT variants) - but nothing to be unduly concerned about if you notice at all.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Does anyone know if the GTS ride is stiffer than a 4S? Or just how the ride feels in general? I know it comes equipped with the air suspension but I wasn’t sure if that means the ride comfort can also be adjusted. It’ll be my daily driver so I’d love to be able to switch between stiff/sporty and smooth/family drives.
In the Porsche marketing on their web site they quote
"The adaptive air suspension with a GTS-specific tune and Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) provides even more engagement: an electronic damping control system that adjusts the damping force, based on current road conditions and your driving style. This reduces body roll and improves comfort."

So the programming of the adaptive air suspension is different to others and damping too. It would be a surprise if this lead to a smootrher ride though for sporty driving less body movement is more comfortable (less sickness inducing for passengers).

I rather thought the Turbo S would have had the most sporty suspension but apparently it is the GTS.

Personally I find the suspension of the CT 4S I tried perfect in "normal" for every day and plenty sporty enough for me in Sports plus so after quite a bit of investigation I decided the GTS wasn't worth the extra money for my use and specification.

I can't imagine the difference in stiffness is not noticeable in normal use, if it was why even mention it?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
In the Porsche marketing on their web site they quote
"The adaptive air suspension with a GTS-specific tune and Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) provides even more engagement: an electronic damping control system that adjusts the damping force, based on current road conditions and your driving style. This reduces body roll and improves comfort."

So the programming of the adaptive air suspension is different to others and damping too. It would be a surprise if this lead to a smootrher ride though for sporty driving less body movement is more comfortable (less sickness inducing for passengers).

I rather thought the Turbo S would have had the most sporty suspension but apparently it is the GTS.

Personally I find the suspension of the CT 4S I tried perfect in "normal" for every day and plenty sporty enough for me in Sports plus so after quite a bit of investigation I decided the GTS wasn't worth the extra money for my use and specification.

I can't imagine the difference in stiffness is not noticeable in normal use, if it was why even mention it?
I tested a sedan and a CT with air suspension. For me the CT was more comfort oriented. I presume the GTS will be a bit less comfortable than the sedan.

And the 2 cm ride hight also made it easier to get in and out. Although the seats might also have influenced it. The sedan had 18 W and the CT 14 W. In the CT I could just step out. The sedan I was more difficult.

So for me (comfort oriented first Porsche owner) the CT with 14 w seats is a better choice than the GTS ST

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I tested a sedan and a CT with air suspension. For me the CT was more comfort oriented. I presume the GTS will be a bit less comfortable than the sedan.

And the 2 cm ride hight also made it easier to get in and out. Although the seats might also have influenced it. The sedan had 18 W and the CT 14 W. In the CT I could just step out. The sedan I was more difficult.

So for me (comfort oriented first Porsche owner) the CT with 14 w seats is a better choice than the GTS ST
I guess we will all have to wait until we get to drive our GTS cars (we are all guessing to this point) but if prior GTS models are anything to go by (with air suspension) you really won't notice much (if anything) when in Normal given the ride is already well controlled and given its a Porsche, any model in the range already has a slightly firmer ride than folk may be used to (particularly first timers).

As you cycle through the drive modes it will become a lot more noticeable to the point where no one will drive on UK roads in Sports Plus all day long!

Agree with @f1eng that the Turbo S model would be the one to expect to have the firmest / sportiest of rides but I guess Porsche like to make a thing of the GTS (beyond Turbo cosmetic add ons) and give it a slightly different tuning of the suspension.

Note that the Taycan (any variant or model) is sold as a 'sports car' rather than a car for outright comfort.

Reactions: B61

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Note that the Taycan (any variant or model) is sold as a 'sports car' rather than a car for outright comfort.
That is why I was surprised to find what an amazingly good ride the CT 4S had in "normal".
It is also why I wouldn't risk a saloon or GTS without a test drive.

I was actually looking for a more comfortable car with a good turn of speed when I came across the Taycan CT and was very impressed to find how good the ride was.

joacimli

First Name
Joacim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sport Turismo M22 (2:nd Taycan), Porsche 968, 1992
Country flag
There's a youtube video here where the ride quality and general differences between the GTS and other models are discussed. RSymons (UK) has a 4S and the guy showing off this pre-production GTS seems to be a Porsche employee.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That is why I was surprised to find what an amazingly good ride the CT 4S had in "normal".

I was actually looking for a more comfortable car with a good turn of speed when I came across the Taycan CT and was very impressed to find how good the ride was.
In truth they all ride well (4D chassis control and Porsche do a good job of suspension and setup). I have a 4S saloon currently and test drove the 4S CT - I could not tell the difference in ride and the only thing I did notice was that the indicators were slightly louder!

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

I had exactly the same feeling when I test drove it , it did a better job on the highway than my X5 with air suspension.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I had exactly the same feeling when I test drove it , it did a better job on the highway than my X5 with air suspension.
Your X5 wheelbase leads to a 'choppier' ride which will be noticeable over the Taycan (anything).

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Your X5 wheelbase leads to a 'choppier' ride which will be noticeable over the Taycan (anything).
The X5 has a 7.5 cm longer wheel base. I think the difference in ride height / ground clearance can also make a difference.
Sponsored