Comfort Entry

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
It’s just what I do when I leave my car - turn it off and lock it, regardless of location!

I simply don’t see any benefit in NOT doing so!
Sponsored

minstril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Huh… I turn mine off by locking it. I get out and touch the little mark on my door handle, rather than holding the big power button.

When unlocking it, comfort access always works, however sometimes it doesn’t power on when I sit down unless I press the power button. Separate issue though.

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
I've nearly sprained my ankle trying to do the open the trunk trick and have yet to find success.

Every day I walk towards my car in anticipation of finding out if it will open or not. I just kinda laugh about it, and mostly blame myself for not knowing what I'm doing. My Honda was so easy, it always auto locked and armed when I went in the house. It was muscle memory to open it... walk over with my bag, open driver's door, hit inside button to unlock the rest of the doors for the kids because I was too lazy to ever dig in my bag for the key.

I'm convinced I'm going to accidentally leave this car unlocked at least 80% of the time. I guess it'll be okay in my garage, unless someone takes a hatchet to the door or breaks in the house, but then at that point it could be stolen anywhere if they really wanted it. But I'm much more the secure-your-car type... grew up in NYC area. My family's cars were stolen everywhere and anywhere regularly. We always hear of break-ins where I live now in the midwest, so are warned to always keep driveway parked cars locked. Not moving! Locking my car! :D

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Huh… I turn mine off by locking it. I get out and touch the little mark on my door handle, rather than holding the big power button.

When unlocking it, comfort access always works, however sometimes it doesn’t power on when I sit down unless I press the power button. Separate issue though.
Maybe there has been some changes in MY’s or models.
Mine works as per the manual. If I do not power off with the power button and open the door, my steering wheel does not raise up? IfI lock as you say by the little “button” on the driver door handle only, it will move the sat back, but still not lift my steering wheel??
Porsche Taycan Comfort Entry 686FEE7F-F319-4AFE-AF98-79B9FC78A15D

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Comfort Entry 1681748185780

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor...logist Frank E.,is 85.3 per 100,000 residents.

It seems the rate of vehicle thefts per capita in the US is 10% higher than in the UK in 2018. Perhaps the media there is overhyping the level of crime, because there aren't many mass shootings to scare people with.

I'm also in the "why choose to live somewhere where crime is an issue" camp...especially if I can afford a car at this price level. Thinking about that construct for a bit, I realize maybe the perception of crime is so widespread in a small area like the UK, that it isn't practical for some to move to an area that seems safer. There are other reasons people choose to live where they do as well.

It has been interesting to read the measures some here who live elsewhere take to protect their cars...putting key fobs in faraday cage devices, disabling comfort entry, etc.

Personally I can live with a .2% chance a vehicle would be stolen over a year's time. That's what insurance is for. My car is far more likely to be stolen from the employee lot at the airport, than from my garage at home. It just isn't worth being stressed about. There are bigger fish out there to fry.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Portugal was/is one of the safest countries in the world. It's so safe, one of my neighbours changed his tire on the street while he was on vacations here, forgot about the punctured wheel/tire, went back to France and one year later, when he returned, the wheel was still rest against his house wall, on the sidewalk. Nobody touched it.

That being said, in the last 24 years, my car was broken into twice. Both times in a community garage. Never ever while parked on the street.

Why? Because once thieves manage to get into the garage (1st time they short circuited the garage opening system, the second time they used a child to sneak through the 30cm wide window), it's party time. They feel safe as they can't be seen from the outside and proceeded to break open all cars and steel the radios and whatever else was inside.

So, in a way, it would actually make sense to leave the car unlocked because I would have saved the insurance premium of replacing the Z3 soft top (they thought it was easier to cut it and enter instead of bursting the window).

Thinking back, that was also a strong reason not to insist on a garage when I moved to the city's downtown because cars are safer on the street than hidden in a garage. I do kinda regret it now because of EV charging.

I still lock my car every time I leave it no matter where.

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
1681748185780.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_theft#:~:text=Criminologist Frank E.,is 85.3 per 100,000 residents.

It seems the rate of vehicle thefts per capita in the US is 10% higher than in the UK in 2018. Perhaps the media there is overhyping the level of crime, because there aren't many mass shootings to scare people with.

I'm also in the "why choose to live somewhere where crime is an issue" camp...especially if I can afford a car at this price level. Thinking about that construct for a bit, I realize maybe the perception of crime is so widespread in a small area like the UK, that it isn't practical for some to move to an area that seems safer. There are other reasons people choose to live where they do as well.

It has been interesting to read the measures some here who live elsewhere take to protect their cars...putting key fobs in faraday cage devices, disabling comfort entry, etc.

Personally I can live with a .2% chance a vehicle would be stolen over a year's time. That's what insurance is for. My car is far more likely to be stolen from the employee lot at the airport, than from my garage at home. It just isn't worth being stressed about. There are bigger fish out there to fry.
I totally agree with you on the misperception of overall crime statistics in general. While anecdotal, I think a lot of it is individual experience. My mom's car got stolen when she lived at Trump Place in NYC. It was buried multiple levels down because it was a shitty, but rare car and an inside job pulled it out. In NY, "neighborhoods change" and suddenly cars are stolen right out of your driveway. I live in one of the safest cities in Michigan, in a subdivision on a country club golf course, and every few months we get an email "Please remember to lock your cars if left in your driveway, and don't leave any valuables inside as we've had severals break-ins recently."

I'm not hyper focused on security, I have dogs and uh, personal protective devices, and I'm leaving my car unlocked in the garage now because it doesn't freaken lock by itself. It's still interesting though the diversity of opinion on the matter, so I now I don't feel as crazy whether I'm locking it or not :D.

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just took delivery of my well-spec'd 4S... and the steering column is manual (related to supply chain?).

Not the biggest deal, but certainly takes away from comfort entry experience I've had in other vehicles.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Just took delivery of my well-spec'd 4S... and the steering column is manual (related to supply chain?).

Not the biggest deal, but certainly takes away from comfort entry experience I've had in other vehicles.
I deselected comfort entry to take rear seat passengers a few days ago and had forgotten until this thread popped up again!

It is a cute “gadget” but just something else to wear out so I’ll not re-select it since I obviously didn’t benefit enough to miss it. I am only slightly over-weight!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
What's the script with folding mirrors for the cars that have Comfort Access?

Mine doesn't have it (last option I would tick personally) but it does have folding mirrors.

So I long press the fob when leaving the car and just make sure his ears are tucked in as I walk away. This confirms the car by as locked.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
What's the script with folding mirrors for the cars that have Comfort Access?

Mine doesn't have it (last option I would tick personally) but it does have folding mirrors.

So I long press the fob when leaving the car and just make sure his ears are tucked in as I walk away. This confirms the car by as locked.
Comfort access and comfort entry are different.

The comfort entry under discussion here is when the driver’s seat moves back and steering wheel up when you switch off and get out and move back again next time you drive the car. I have it and now, having forgotten its existence after de-selecting it while I had rear seat passengers, won’t be using it any more.

I don’t have comfort access either and haven’t tried to link locking the car with folding the mirrors, though I bet there is a selection for it somewhere :)

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
With Comfort Access I just place my finger on the horizontal line on the handle and car locks and mirrors fold up - TBH can't recall but probably toggled on a 'fold mirror on locking' option in the PCM but it possibly came configured this way be default.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Only comes with 14-way or 18-way seats - your dealer should have advised if any spec was short and there should be a rebate. If you have the standard seats then electric column.
Sponsored